• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2018: Mutiny Bay Courtyard Refurbish and New F&B Outlet

RoyJess

TS Member
Team Edit:

Alton Towers have submitted an application to seek listed building consent for alterations to the existing Courtyard area in Mutiny Bay and the Tavern.

The plans can be seen on the SMDC website.

A summary of these plans can be read on TowersStreet News.

The plans propose that the existing Courtyard BBQ counter area will be converted into a kitchen area and a new servery at the far end of the existing Tavern. A bar will remain where it currently is in the Tavern with a pop-up bar being installed in the location of a store room. The Courtyard seating area will receive a new canopy, and a glass railing system will be added to make the seating area more enclosed.

NS-Elevation-666x286.png

Courtyard-Plans-Overview-page-0R-425x300.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Are they going to retheme it as old England again and we have lord battenburg :D

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

TT are also suggesting that the restaurant could possibly be similar to the Smokehouse restaurant at Chessington

The proposals also detail a number of improvements to the fabric of the main building itself. All of the existing modern doors will be replaced with timber vertically boarded doors; a number of windows will be repaired or replaced; whilst several areas of brickwork will be repaired using salvaged brick to match the existing structure.

Although the plans do not state exactly what the new food and beverage offering will be, several of the documents refer to the development as a ‘Smokehouse Restaurant’ suggesting that the Resort may be planning to offer something similar to the Smokehouse at Chessington World of Adventures Resort.

Wasn't there originally supposed to be a "smokehouse" on the site of the old flume turntable? Presumably this is to make up for that getting scrapped.

I can't see this making any real difference. Wardley knows the courtyard needs a referb, but I suspect it'll be mostly cosmetic. Besides, it'll only end up SBNO anyway.

A Smokehouse was proposed to be built where The Flume station stood on the original plans for SW8, so it's not at all surprising this has been moved to the Courtyard.

Not bothered about the removal of the pirate show stage. It was never going to come back, entertainments is dead at Towers unless you're 4 years old.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Back in the good ole days of Merry (spell check will not allow me to type the old English word for merry...sorry) England, what was in the corner currently being taken up by the empty rotting corpse of the pirate show?

It might help us understand what they intend to fill that corner with after they remove the stage!

Back in the good ole days of Merry (spell check will not allow me to type the old English word for merry...sorry) England, what was in the corner currently being taken up by the empty rotting corpse of the pirate show?

It might help us understand what they intend to fill that corner with after they remove the stage!
They will probably but a bin in the corner and a themed poster on the wall advertising CBeebies hotel ! o_O

I think this is a positive move as the area as it stands is a waste of space because its not getting used. The indoor seating will give people who aren't riding SW8 somewhere to sit especially if it's covered over. Put it this ways its better than standing there being empty. Be positive!

What are they going to do to the tavern then? I assume they would never allow them to staff two bars at the same time!

I believe the Tavern's staying, though the amount of room inside will reduce a lot to make room for the new eatery.

Good to see that we will be getting a new food outlet next year, it is badly needed. A number of the plans do refer to it as a smokehouse so I think it's safe to assume that is what we are getting. Chessington's is brilliant so I am very pleased about that!

One of my main concerns from the plans is what looks like the small servery area. Chessington have two serveries and they seem somewhat larger. Queues could well be a nightmare!

:)

So if the courtyard is rethemed to fit in with SW8, Won't the Battle Galleons be isolated from the rest of Mutiny Bay? Unless the Battle Galleons were to rethemed to fit in with SW8, I mean they could retheme it in a Rita/Th13teen style but this is Towers after all, we just don't know... :rolleyes:

On another note though, It's great that we are getting another new good F&B outlet, it's much needed at Towers. Hopefully developments like this will continue into the future of the resort, (Espically if the Burger Kitchen in Cloud Cuckoo Land got replaced. ;))

I'm not sure about the mention of the glass walls around the eating area. Sounds far to modem and sleek looking for Towers and that area.
We need wooden fences !

So if the courtyard is rethemed to fit in with SW8, Won't the Battle Galleons be isolated from the rest of Mutiny Bay? Unless the Battle Galleons were to rethemed to fit in with SW8, I mean they could retheme it in a Rita/Th13teen style but this is Towers after all, we just don't know... :rolleyes:

On another note though, It's great that we are getting another new good F&B outlet, it's much needed at Towers. Hopefully developments like this will continue into the future of the resort, (Espically if the Burger Kitchen in Cloud Cuckoo Land got replaced. ;))

I think it's about time they gave up on themed areas as none of them save Katanga and Gloomy Wood (the only two Merlin haven't touched) are distinguishable as anything other than some rides with lazy themes cobbled together.

Galactica?
Rita?
Spinball?
SW8?

Those rides make up (or will make up) a significant chunk of the parks lineup but none of them make any sense in the context of the areas they have been built.

I suspect this new eatery will offer decent food but will be as generic in appearance as something straight off the high street but with double prices.

I guarantee they wont retheme Mutiny Bay they spent far too much 8/9 years ago on the theming of Battle Galleons and Sharkbait Reef, at best there will be some sign changes.

Last edited: