• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2018: Park Operations & Ride Availability

Whilst Alton has its problems, I can still see why it is more likely to have more positive reviews than other attractions owned by Merlin. That doesn't mean they don't get their fair share of negative reviews though. Just means that the number of positive ones vastly outweigh the number of negative ones, which could be to do with staff encouraging people who have enjoyed their visit to leave a review over encouraging someone who hasn't enjoyed their visit to leave a review.

Last edited:
I noticed at Thorpe that after a terrible day, the KPI review touchscreen pads were switched off! If you have a good day, they're far more likely to bring the touchscreen pads out or actively encourage guests to fill them out if they know it's been a better day operationally, IMO.

Anything to twist those figures!

I noticed at Thorpe that after a terrible day, the KPI review touchscreen pads were switched off! If you have a good day, they're far more likely to bring the touchscreen pads out or actively encourage guests to fill them out if they know it's been a better day operationally, IMO.

Anything to twist those figures!
But if they kept them turned off at Alton on every bad day they have, I don't think they'd have had them turned on yet this season! :tearsofjoy:

Last edited:
But if they kept them tuned off at Alton on every bad day they have, I don't think they'd have had them turned on yet this season! :tearsofjoy:
Thrope appeared to be replacing the iPads with some unknown brand of android tablets.

Sent from my Swift 2 X using Tapatalk

Didn't go today, but have been on a few Tuesdays this year. Every one has had pretty much full ride availability and good operations.

If you can, go on a Tuesday

Heading into the bank holiday weekend with sunny weather and predictions of the hottest May bank holiday on record and Towers are still posting a 5pm close all weekend.

I have a horrible suspicion of another poorly planned peak weekend with big crowds and the park not prepared to cope with them. Let’s hope I’m wrong.

Heading into the bank holiday weekend with sunny weather and predictions of the hottest May bank holiday on record and Towers are still posting a 5pm close all weekend.

I have a horrible suspicion of another poorly planned peak weekend with big crowds and the park not prepared to cope with them. Let’s hope I’m wrong.
Who knows, they could be planning on surprising us with a 18:00 close.

Sent from my Swift 2 X using Tapatalk

I wouldn’t put too much stock on the advertised close, they will only change it if they want to use the later opening for marketing purposes.

Interesting that Nemesis is reported to be on one train with a 60mins queue at present.

I say that because on Tuesday they were running the train without the wheel guards empty and filling the other one, which was fine with a 0 min queue.

However the one with the wheel guards on the back row was giving a dreadful rude due to what I think must have been a badly worn wheel. It was bouncing around all around the place and then on the run into the station after the final turn the back car was jumping up and down a bit due to that wheel. I did pass it on to the ride ops to mention, but who knows if they did at all.

Interesting that Nemesis is reported to be on one train with a 60mins queue at present.

I say that because on Tuesday they were running the train without the wheel guards empty and filling the other one, which was fine with a 0 min queue.

However the one with the wheel guards on the back row was giving a dreadful rude due to what I think must have been a badly worn wheel. It was bouncing around all around the place and then on the run into the station after the final turn the back car was jumping up and down a bit due to that wheel. I did pass it on to the ride ops to mention, but who knows if they did at all.

Started yesterday with two trains but they took the one with the wheel guards off towards the end of the day.

Have to say even the Smiler was smoother than Nemesis yesterday, two headbanging moments on the ride.

Oh dear! Hopefully this isn't permanent!

Same here, hopefully just a question of replacing a wheel.

Speaking of The Smiler, it was walk on yesterday, had three rides in row. I really like it, but the third ride it only just made it through the batwing. Then they shut the ride for a bout ten minutes with all the trains on the brake run, and manually released the restraints. Seemed to open up fairly quickly afterwards though