• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2018: Park Operations & Ride Availability

We have a travelling fair in town this week, they're open 10am to Midnight on Saturday, enough said really.
All that says is that the business models aren't the same and the motives behind the selection of their opening hours are different. You can't oversimplify this stuff.

Th13teen

The situation at Th13teen this season is chronic. There is a clear staff shortage and I would go so far as to say it is borderline unsafe operating it with the staff that it currently has, as one of the platform hosts simply has too many tasks to deal with.

Today, there were 4 staff: A batching host dealing with fastrack and main queue, two hosts on the platform and the operator.

Due to the new baggage cages, Th13teen is already down around 20% on its throughput. However, the staffing cuts have made this even worse.

The disabled queue now has a chain across it and is not directly into the station. This is because they have shut off half of the old exit due to the baggage racks. It was too narrow. As a result, the far side platform host now has to complete the following tasks:

- Restraint checks
- Checking the exit gate is secure
- Dispatch
- Exiting the station, checking disabled guests, removing chain and letting them in once guests have exited.

Such is the delay caused by all of this, that dispatching on the ride is now even slower! Th13teen is a nightmare this season - I reckon it's getting only about 60% of its theoretical capacity and it's a complete and utter misery.

I feel for the staff. I would be demanding from area and senior managers that more staff are allocated to the ride to help share the workload and boost capacity. Ideally, baggage would be re-instated (like Smiler also needs) but as a minimum, they need an Exit host to manage the disabled queue and exit gate.

Th13teen opens and achieves a one-time only 1,440 per hour on opening weekend, but settles at around 1,200/hour
Changes are made to the lap bar minimum close position. Capacity drops to around 1,000-1,100 per hour
2018: Cuts to staff and baggage changes mean the ride now typically achieves below 900 per hour

As an aside, I was also shocked to see platform hosts on Galactica having to shout instructions to the queue as there was not a batching host on both stations!

Last edited:
Has The Smiler had its baggage hold reinstated, then? Very good news if true; well done Alton!

No, I have edited the post to make it clearer. Smiler, sadly, remains without a baggage hold.
Ah OK. Thank you @AstroDan; I think that Merlin will reinstate baggage holds and batching staff once the peak summer holiday period arrives, especially as Alton has apparently seen a large increase in visitor numbers so far this year.

No, I have edited the post to make it clearer. Smiler, sadly, remains without a baggage hold.
Are there bins to place bags instead? I'm debating whether to take a bag, since it would be nice to have my reusable cup, suncream etc but not if there's nowhere to put it.

This situation is ridiculous. What's their excuse... is Alton Towers a living wage employer?

It makes me worry for Wicker Man, all these staff and operational cuts. Wicker Man has, rather surprisingly, a baggage hold and if that was to be removed, that'd create all sorts of problems. Then there is the shop in the queue. As much as I am glad they didn't just dump some vending machines there, I also don't entirely trust them to keep the thing open in the long term. Then there is the actual fire effects. Not much to say about those, since they already aren't working, whatever the reason is. :(

Also like other rides the shop will turn into vending machines eventually, or just be left boarded up. (e.g. Thirteen I think is vending machines now?)

:)
Personally have seen none of this on Park today and been on all coasters.
Bit of faff with galactic station 1 with vr q. No vr q and disabled q
Had quite an enjoyable day all in all.
And no. I didn’t use my fastrack on any ride once. :)

Honestly I think a shop would make more money, just because they can sell more expensive hot food. Also many people don't carry coins.

@bluesonichd does the VR queue take significantly longer than the standard queue?

Honestly I think a shop would make more money, just because they can sell more expensive hot food. Also many people don't carry coins.

@bluesonichd does the VR queue take significantly longer than the standard queue?
Only longer as everyone today seamed to want to ride VR so the q was out the station to the steps with no one queuing inside for the none be line , friend took the initiative and pushed past everyone

Edit. Will say in station 1 with vr on the back 3 rows and disabled taking up the first 2. The none vr line moves slow.

Thirteen's throughput has been hit far worse than I was anticipating for the reasons Dan has already covered. I expected it to cope fairly well with only a slight hit to dispatch times caused by the bag cages, but now it seems that it barely gets what it was getting last year when it was on 2 trains for ages.

I haven't visited the park on a properly busy day yet, but my concerns I had at the start of the season about the park's inability to cope has not eased with what I've seen so far.

Out of interest, has there ever been a year under Merlin where operational budget has increased from the prior year? 2010 maybe? A budget increase in 2019 is desperately needed.
From a staffing perspective, it's increased year on year to meet the increased costs faced by the minimum wage - at least until Smiler, I don't know the number of staff prior to then vs now. Here's a graph plotting the UK minimum wage since Merlin's acquisition of Tussauds.

united-kingdom-minimum-wages.png

If you imagine the sheer number of staff employed across all departments, it's not a trivial amount. Even with less staff than the previous year, your wage bill can increase when you have a vast number of hourly hires.

Last edited:
Only over 25s earn the full minimum wage, I only get £5.90, 16-18 year olds get less still.

Yes it's not a trivial amount but neither is the cost of a ticket, merchandise, food etc.

Only over 25s earn the full minimum wage, I only get £5.90, 16-18 year olds get less still.

Yes it's not a trivial amount but neither is the cost of a ticket, merchandise, food etc.
So one ticket pays the daily pay for a 18 to 25.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

From a staffing perspective, it's increased year on year to meet the increased costs faced by the minimum wage - at least until Smiler, I don't know the number of staff prior to then vs now. Here's a graph plotting the UK minimum wage since Merlin's acquisition of Tussauds.

united-kingdom-minimum-wages.png

If you imagine the sheer number of staff employed across all departments, it's not a trivial amount. Even with less staff than the previous year, your wage bill can increase when you have a vast number of hourly hires.

I would hazard a guess the entrance price increase and price inflation in the shops and food outlets has increased at a greater percentage than wages.

Minimum wage is not the problem, it’s shareholder dividends.