• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2018: Park Operations & Ride Availability

Just got back from an awesome day at Alton Towers.

Firstly, I have to say that the entrance procedure was really well managed and seemed to flow amazingly - much better than when I visited towards the start of the season. There were plenty of staff in and around the Plaza, which helped make the flow of guests much more structured. They were actually checking for ERT tickets, the ERT shutters also opened earlier today, so you could actually get to the ride for 9:30am, unsure how long this has been going on for. I'd go as far to say it has to be one of the easier admissions to a Park, especially Alton, in a long time.

ERT selection was good, but I now definitely see the problem with Staggered Openings - there's just not enough to do for an hour and a half before the rest of the rides open - we managed to get through the ERT selection (minus Wickerman) in around 20 minutes. I'd love to see either Dark Forest or Forbidden Valley added to the ERT lineup, or even perhaps the Smiler.

Oblivion definitely seemed to have a bit of trouble today, we were in the station and they had to clear the ride vehicle we were on, seemed really disorganised and most of the guests ended up leaving because they didn't know what was going on - felt that this procedure needed tidying up a little. What was nice to see, was that the staff were red-hot on recording, they warned riders later in the day who were recording when they got off the ride. Another ride which kept breaking down was Rita, we got to the loading bay once, and it was evacuated because harnesses on the previous train would not release (they had to bring some device across to release them, not sure what it was, looked like a battery). We then went to Rita again and it had just gone down, presumably due to the same issue as the battery device was back out.

I was also glad to see some welcomed improvements on the Smiler, with the Marmiliser Screen being repaired, as well as most of the effects (minus mist), but there was mist on in the station (which I've never seen before), and all four projectors were running (not seen in a long time). The Smiler was definitely improved. Throughput wasn't great, we saw a distinct difference in throughput when the operator changed - there was one point where there were two trains in front of us to be cleared and refilled. Another ride which stood out was Duel, I feel that this has again improved with time compared to the start of this season, although that Trommel fix still hasn't arrived and I haven't forgotten about it!

We all found the staff to be really friendly and attentive throughout the park, and I thought the park had a really nice atmosphere - which is something I've missed seeing at Alton for a long time. I will be returning in the near future and have a much more positive outlook compared to my previous visit at the start of the season - would just love to see a little more TLC around the park and perhaps some adjustments to Staggered Openings. Adding the additional time from 5pm to 6pm was great, although I feel this should still be standard.

EDIT 1: World Cup arrangement seemed to work well, four TVs in each corner of the Courtyard Awning, was packed and seemed to be going well - no trouble I could see.

Last edited:
I’ve noticed a difference in throughput with different smiler ops as well, if Galactica in on 1 station and 2 crafts what’s the throughput lose? I don’t think it’s as straight forward as just 50%.

I’ve noticed a difference in throughput with different smiler ops as well, if Galactica in on 1 station and 2 crafts what’s the throughput lose? I don’t think it’s as straight forward as just 50%.

It loses 2/3 of the throughput when it drops to 1 station.

If the park isn’t going to open most of their rides until lunch, then they need to at least have all of them running at full operational capacity and open them on time. Only one station running on a summer weekend is ridiculous, especially considering how understaffed the ride is already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the park isn’t going to open most of their rides until lunch, then they need to at least have all of them running at full operational capacity and open them on time. Only one station running on a summer weekend is ridiculous, especially considering how understaffed the ride is already.

It was running one station in the middle of the day due to an issue on one side, both stations were running in the morning and evening.

It looks like Nemesis has been down all day so far, its season of poor reliability continues.

:)

Before everyone blames lack of maintenance budgets this season (which I'm sure is having some effect), all this downtime on Nemesis and all the other rides can't all be down to budget cuts can it?

Does anyone think that since 2015 and the incident at Drayton last year Alton are being overly cautious and what would have been ok last year is now "not taking any chances and we're closing the ride"?

Before everyone blames lack of maintenance budgets this season (which I'm sure is having some effect), all this downtime on Nemesis and all the other rides can't all be down to budget cuts can it?

Does anyone think that since 2015 and the incident at Drayton last year Alton are being overly cautious and what would have been ok last year is now "not taking any chances and we're closing the ride"?

In short I think the answer to this is probably yes. It certainly takes longer to get rides up and running again after a stoppage post-Smiler.

It looks like Nemesis has been down all day so far, its season of poor reliability continues.

All day yesterday Nemesis was on two train operation. It failed to be open ready for 11am, and did open slightly later.

Towards the end of the day, they were sending one train completely empty and then filling the next one - almost like it wasn't in use but they didn't have time to remove it from the circuit.

Towards the end of the day, they were sending one train completely empty and then filling the next one - almost like it wasn't in use but they didn't have time to remove it from the circuit.
I've seen that done at the start of the day when there's little queue (<5 minutes). It's not because of any technical reason, it just avoids you running the queue completely empty.

This isn't clear cut. If the suggestion is that maintenance is being done in a half arsed manner or that spares aren't being replaced etc, that's not the case.

It may well be that there isn't adequate resource in place to be able to respond to exceptions as quickly as we would like, or instances where increased required effort in pre operation checks has not seen the same increase in person hours.

That said, there are ongoing efforts to recruit into the engineering function.

I think the processes post-Smiler are a double-edged sword.

Previously the processes for technical services to manage faults were completely unsatisfactory and did not control the risks adequately. It's right that there are now processes which do control the risks (and that should have always been the case). I have no criticism of any delays while they undertake these processes.

However the investigation found no problems with the operations*. Therefore I find it slightly irritating that operations should be affected. For example, long gone are the days when teams would be encouraged to get maximum throughput. The days of telling anybody to hurry up will never happen again, even when it doesn't compromise safety o_O

(* the only operations criticism was that the evacuation procedure could've provided an extra check. Nothing day-to-day was found to be inadequate)

Went to there today. Got on Wicker man that's it. Nemesis was down when we got there. Galactica on a 70min queue which had we joined would have also gone down. People turned away from skyride so walked all the way to oblivion to find them evacuating people from that. Smiler I wasnt going to do anyways but seemed to be only ride without downtime. Went to thirteen and that then broke, promptly followed by rita.

By that point I was hot and fed up went to guest services. Did get a refund. And a fast track onto Wicker man. Congo river rapids on a five min queue but clearly longer. So did runaway mine train and duel twice. Awful day. Staff blaming the weather.

I know TH13TEEN is pretty temperamental during the heat, I'm not sure if that is also the case with Rita too? I don't think it would have effected the other coasters as much unless it was extremely hot. Sounds like the weather just being used as an easy excuse for all the problems... typical.