• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2018: Wicker Man - General Discussion - SPOILERS! - Part One

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
I'm doing a bit of a 180 on this ride now. Whereas I was incredibly underwhelmed at first, the layout is beginning to grow on me.
I really don't understand why people were so down on it anyway! Not only that, the fact that it can 'grow' on people before they have ridden it is beyond me.

Oblivion can be very audible from outside the park, depending on how windy it is. It's dear old Blivvy that enraged the Ropers so much.
Oblivion is extremely loud - particularly as the shuttle enters/exits the hole - the brakes too, you can hear it from the chained oak no problem and on the other side of the valley too.

I'll be honest regarding noise here. Whether I'm just deaf or I don't listen, I don't even hear oblivion from past the towers. If anything, spinball is much louder, can here it from towers street and even mutiny bay. Nemesis isn't quiet either (not saying that's a bad thing ;)). Personally, I think there are much worse rides for noise than oblivion. Stealth is pretty bad if I remember that; you can hear (and see) it for miles, and it's not one of the nicest visual rides.

Oh well I'm sure the locals will get over it. As nobody would go around there if it wasn't for Towers.
I would suggest that is what a lot of people who live in the Staffordshire moorlands would actually want...

I'll be honest regarding noise here. Whether I'm just deaf or I don't listen, I don't even hear oblivion from past the towers. If anything, spinball is much louder, can here it from towers street and even mutiny bay. Nemesis isn't quiet either (not saying that's a bad thing ;)). Personally, I think there are much worse rides for noise than oblivion. Stealth is pretty bad if I remember that; you can hear (and see) it for miles, and it's not one of the nicest visual rides.
You don't typically hear it in the park because there is so much background noise.

I hope when they finally move on that towers buys the porperty, don't want some egg face moving in and it all starting all over again!

I hope when they finally move on that towers buys the porperty, don't want some egg face moving in and it all starting all over again!
Not sure a new owner could complain. Many of the current residents lived in the area before towers was a proper park, so can complain about new coasters ruining the environment they bought the house for. New owners will know the downside of living next to a major theme park (well, I wouldn't consider it a downside ;)), and have less right to complain.

Not sure a new owner could complain. Many of the current residents lived in the area before towers was a proper park, so can complain about new coasters ruining the environment they bought the house for. New owners will know the downside of living next to a major theme park (well, I wouldn't consider it a downside ;)), and have less right to complain.
You wouldn't think so but there are some real freaks out there, fame hungry, who some how have the money for a property this size, who would want to pick up the torch from where the Ropers had left it, seems far fetched but you never know.I wonder if they would like to swap places with @DiogoJ42 and have foxes shagging keep them up all night as other than a few special times of year the park is closed in time for tea! It would be hilarious if someone did do that and it turned out to be Amanda Thompson!

I don't see any issues with this particular coaster. It has noise barriers and tunnels around most of the track, so it will be a pretty inoffensive coaster when it gets built. Towers have played it nice and safe with this development.

The Smiler was probably the last risk in terms of noise (funnily enough placed in an area that has been a problem with locals for years). Towers seem to be able to balance noisy rides with quiet ones quite well when spacing out developments over the years. Locals aren't always going to support the park, although some do understand it's a big park and needs to develop. Like anything else in life, you get those who like it, and those who don't.

Alton Towers seem to have to go above and beyond for its neighbours, which in many cases has worked out making some awesome rides but it does kinda annoy me how these people get all this press over it due to it being a theme park, you don't hear about the people who have had new A roads and Motorways go up next to them and they are noisy 24/7!

I think the tunnels will add to the ride as the noise will be locked in with you making it a more intense/ loud noise for the riders. As others have said the themeing for this ride should be quite important and if they really do goto town on it it will be pretty awesome. I do also have the same fears that others have of the woods maintenence as this ride could be great for the first 5 years and then start to become a rough as nails "do it once on a day trip for the sake of doing it" kind of ride which would be a shame, but we don't know what Merlin are like with wood (at least not in the UK)

There's already 2 objections from busybodies/neighbours, both complaining about the noise and the work needed to build it.

You do actually hear about this sort of thing with motorways. Mass protests in the mid 90s effectively killed off major road building projects in this country. Environmentalists instead feel much happier for us to plaster 10 times as many B roads across the countryside and sit in traffic with idling engines polluting the atmosphere instead.

I think Towers should learn the lessons of road builders actually and sound proof parts of the park with embankments.

Have you got any links?

^No, it was just a speculative post on a forum. I can't find it now but it was probably CoasterForce or TPR

Scratch that, wrong thread!

They're on the application page on Staffordshire Moorlands site, the link's in the first post of this thread. Scroll to the bottom and there's currently 2 neighbour comments so far!

Last edited:
I think soundproofing is a good idea and it should be done especially if it helps stop the neighbour complaints but I am convinced you could build a metal dome over the entire park, shoot the park off into space and (some not all) neighbours would block the planning appication!

I think it would look fantastic if the woodie had trench like sections which would both add to the ride experience and lower the noise level, I am still amazed a woodie is coming TBH as at one point it seemed like a fantasy idea due to the publics perception of woodies, the parks height, noise and location restrictions and the timeing of the construction being the first major investment since the crash but probs to Alton, enthusiasts have wanted this for some time now. It also fits the family coaster demographic which most feel should be the next investiment.

I havn't been on a GCI I havn't enjoyed yet and I am certainly not going to turn my nose up at this one, in fact I am excited, 2018 will be a good if not great year for UK theme parks as the two big boys lock horns, the real winner is us. :D

^No, it was just a speculative post on a forum. I can't find it now but it was probably CoasterForce or TPR

Scratch that, wrong thread!

They're on the application page on Staffordshire Moorlands site, the link's in the first post of this thread. Scroll to the bottom and there's currently 2 neighbour comments so far!
They both appear to be submitted on the same date indicating they got their heads together. Even if I don't agree with them, I can't see they are being totally unreasonable though. I've seen unreasonable planning objections myself through work and they are far nastier and less valid than these!

Having watched the POV''s of the RMC''s at Dollywood and Kolmarden, I'm not feeling as short changed as I was when I saw the initial plans

Whilst I was initially disappointed by the length of SW8, lightning Rod though far higher and longer has a comparable ride time. Kolmarden has a longer ride time and looks proper scary, but we all know Alton could never build that high.

I'm actually hoping that SW8 does not have a fast launch as this would reduce the ride time. We already have some truly great thrill coasters.

Moderate G forces for a family audience can be fun. In addition, many coasters have proven that good thrills can be created through CHANGES in speed and direction, rather than Absolute speed or ridiculous height.

Make this a FUN experience with a ride TIME comparable or better than LR with a few pops of airtime (which looks possible) and I'll be on board for the SW8 party.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.