• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The Alton Towers Dungeon

The primary objective for Merlin is to generate value for its shareholders. If the Dungeon fails as an investment then questions will come from the shareholders and the market analysts. Regardless of one's opinion of what the park should be doing, a failed investment (even if relatively low expenditure) isn't good news for any fan of the park.

The Dungeon could however prove to be extremely insignificant if Wicker Man is adjudged to be a resounding financial success. That would prove what type of investment can really make a difference to the park's fortunes.

Well, it seems that Alton Towers are now hiring for a Guest Experience Host for the Dungeons:
https://m.facebook.com/towerstimes/photos/a.10150367580553185/10157101952283185/?type=3&source=48

Some of the required skills are... interesting, to say the least. They include:
  • The ability to display traits of repulsiveness.
  • The ability to revel in being mischievous.
  • The ability to work comfortably surrounded by rats.
The successful applicant will also receive a Lifetime Premium Season Pass.

Certainly gives an interesting insight into what the Dungeons will be like!

Also, I'd like to ask; what is it that you all don't approve of about it being an upcharge? Scare attractions at theme parks across the world are typically upcharges, so I don't see what's different about the Dungeons, personally.
P.S. I'll try and embed the post later.

Last edited:
Well, it seems that Alton Towers are now hiring for a Guest Experience Host for the Dungeons:
https://m.facebook.com/towerstimes/photos/a.10150367580553185/10157101952283185/?type=3&source=48

Also, I'd like to ask; what is it that you all don't approve of about it being an upcharge? Scare attractions at theme parks across the world are typically upcharges, so I don't see what's different about the Dungeons, personally.

What's probably annoyed people is the fact that it'll be the only UK dungeon not included in the premium pass....plus the fact that it's included in the Alton towers premium pass

And dungeons aren't exactly scare attractions

I guess it wouldn’t be so bad if no one got free entry, but giving the fact season pass holders (who pay far less than Merlin pass holders) get one free entry a day, I can see why some pass holders are annoyed, especially when you can go visit any of the other dungeons across the country for free, when all of those are generally longer than the towers dungeons will be.

I guess it wouldn’t be so bad if no one got free entry, but giving the fact season pass holders (who pay far less than Merlin pass holders) get one free entry a day, I can see why some pass holders are annoyed, especially when you can go visit any of the other dungeons across the country for free, when all of those are generally longer than the towers dungeons will be.

Therein lies the issue. From a customers point of view it does not make sense, and customers do not care if it makes sense from a business point of view.

Quite bizarre in general, but most interesting is that applications close the day it opens....is this just a promotional trick?

I wouldn't say that application closing date is a promotional trick. particularly as it'll be HR who pencil it in and they won't really be associated with any marketing. If anything, it shows they're leaving it down to the wire to recruit actors, which potentially suggests they are struggling thus far. They're really pushing it on social media, so it wouldn't surprise me if they were.

@Matt N, regarding the upcharge, people have already coughed up quite a large entry fee for what the park currently is or for an annual pass. If it was a one off or seasonal experience like Scarefest that isn't frequent, then fair enough. The Sanctuary was made to be a free-of-charge attraction when it opened for the first few months of the 2013 season (although you could argue that this was to avoid backlash from the delayed opening of The Smiler).

A lot of it also boils down to spite. It should have been the foundations for a nicely themed David Walliams dark ride. Not this crap that you can visit in far too many places across the country as it is.

Truth be told, I'd have rather seen a Legoland Discovery Centre put in its sodding place instead.

I don't know about others but having to pay extra after already paying to enter is not satisfying. You're spending money yet losing time to ride the "free" rides that you already payed for. It's frustrating that we lost a free attraction. Since Alton Towers are charging for Dungeons, why not charge for Darren Brown as well?

I know, it's only £5. But it adds up. Also 11-year-old me enjoyed Charlie and the Chocolate Factory...

I'm pretty convinced that Dungeons experience role is primarily marketing rubbish. The idea being to spread the word of the Dungeons with some free advertising - throw in a 'lifetime pass' (that only lasts 10 years?!) and every millennial and their dog are sharing the article and tagging their mate Dave who would be 'well dope for that job, like'.

The fact the job article pretty much admits it's a one weekend only job and the job isn't actually listed on the usual Merlin careers website seals the deal for me.

Gives more an insight into how Merlin attract their employees with gimmicks and good advertising until revealing the tiny wages for long hours.

I suppose these positions at UK parks have always been ideally for younger workers with lower wages, fine to an extent but Merlin like to take the mickey.

"Lifetime premium season pass" for the place you work at is a great example of that. Also notice the smallprint, the LIFETIME pass is only available for 10 years, haha.