• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2019: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
If they had a quality, sit down place - honestly, would you use it? I don't think there is a demand for it. I do feel that a BBQ place (like BPB) would be a good option.

I would absolutely use it. If anything, that's what RCR should have been and what Woodcutters should be, but the quality is far too inconsistent to really bother with either anymore.

The smokehouse that was going to open alongside Wicker Man would have been a welcome addition, but yet again another victim to the harsh cost trimmings.

Towers Street Bar and Grill had its busy moments when it was open, proving there is a demand for a sit down eatery at the park. Once again however, another victim to the cost cuts.

Other parks have proven that food offerings can be done to a sufficient standard without compromising on quality (the usual European suspects). I don't buy the whole generic 'American park food' term either, as there are parks in the States that go well above and beyond in these departments (BGW, for example).

I would absolutely use it. If anything, that's what RCR should have been and what Woodcutters should be, but the quality is far too inconsistent to really bother with either anymore.

The smokehouse that was going to open alongside Wicker Man would have been a welcome addition, but yet again another victim to the harsh cost trimmings.

Towers Street Bar and Grill had its busy moments when it was open, proving there is a demand for a sit down eatery at the park. Once again however, another victim to the cost cuts.

Other parks have proven that food offerings can be done to a sufficient standard without compromising on quality (the usual European suspects). I don't buy the whole generic 'American park food' term either, as there are parks in the States that go well above and beyond in these departments (BGW, for example).

OK, you would. With a pizza restaurant, a fried chicken restaurant, a pub-type-place, coffee shops and countless burger kiosks, wrap kiosks etc. Do you think an upper-market restaurant would work? I don't, or atleast in the way you suggest. It's a themepark - the menu would have to be burgers etc. To please the majority. I eat healthy-ish all week. When I'm at a park, I want to splurge a little.

With BGW - there food is themed, and different, but they still lack in the sit-down restaurant department. You do also need to take into account that most US parks are open 10 - 10 in peak season. This allows them to cover two meal times. UK parks generally only cover lunch, which gives less opertunity to make a profit.

I worked in a major US park for a few years. Where they made most of their money - fries, funnel cakes and chicken strips.

McDonald's - crap food

KFC - Crap Food

Burger King - Crap food

Pretty much the same for all franchise joints.

AT - Equally crap food, but considering the amazing value of the season pass, I don't have a problem with them offering the same quality as the places above with a captive audience mark up.

The food is the same quality as these mysteriously popular places that are inexpicably busy morning, noon and night around the world. It's amazing what a creepy clown and a "free toy" can do.

There is a lot of food snobbery about these days. I want filling, tasty, and quick. You wouldn't see me in an expensive posh restaurant in a million years. I'd rather have as many goes on a hundred million quid of world class ride hardware, that mess about with tablecloths, serviettes and doilies.

Get a Wetherspoon at AT though, decent food and a pint, with change from a tenner and I'm there. (The beef brisket burger and pizza club with a pint of craft beer are excellent)

It would be quite nice to be able to relax and enjoy a sit-down meal and a couple of drinks on park. Unfortunately due to the opening hours there just isn't enough time in the day, so you're forced to go to one of the fast food outlets.

^^^ Or how about a Wickerman Restaurant where random chairs self combust in a ball of flames reminiscent of that seen in 007 movies with all the bad guys sat around the big table wondering who is next. Would certainly add emphasis to the "flame grilled" slogan, while giving some welcome warmth in the winter months....

^^^ Or how about a Wickerman Restaurant where random chairs self combust in a ball of flames reminiscent of that seen in 007 movies with all the bad guys sat around the big table wondering who is next. Would certainly add emphasis to the "flame grilled" slogan, while giving some welcome warmth in the winter months....

Sounds great, except after the first month the fire will stop working. So it’ll just be a load of people sat around disappointed.

Actually, sounds a bit too similar to the RCR.

Rides times looks like an enthusiast dream. Smiler having the longest queue time of 1 minute :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

mkQlz9y.png

McDonald's - crap food

KFC - Crap Food

Burger King - Crap food

Pretty much the same for all franchise joints.

AT - Equally crap food, but considering the amazing value of the season pass, I don't have a problem with them offering the same quality as the places above with a captive audience mark up.

The food is the same quality as these mysteriously popular places that are inexpicably busy morning, noon and night around the world. It's amazing what a creepy clown and a "free toy" can do.

There is a lot of food snobbery about these days. I want filling, tasty, and quick. You wouldn't see me in an expensive posh restaurant in a million years. I'd rather have as many goes on a hundred million quid of world class ride hardware, that mess about with tablecloths, serviettes and doilies.

Get a Wetherspoon at AT though, decent food and a pint, with change from a tenner and I'm there. (The beef brisket burger and pizza club with a pint of craft beer are excellent)

I would place the main fast food joints a tier above the food at AT personally. Still not the best quality. But say what you want about those fast food joints, at least the food is cooked and not microwaved to order.

I do not get what all the rave is about Wetherspoons though, the majority of the food, including the burgers are pre cooked off site then microwaved.to order. One of the few things that is cooked fresh are chips. That is it. The people working the kitchens in spoons are literally glorified microwave operators. That is not an exaggeration either.

There are other chains that do far far better food than spoons for a similar price, but there is a reason why it is so cheap at spoons, because it is microwaved rubbish. Granted I do eat there occasionally as it cheap, but the food is still rubbish to be totally honest. Very bland. If I wanted a microwave meal I would have purchased one. Have you never found it suspicious how quickly they can bring the food out, no matter what is ordered. That is not because it is cooked normally.

Personally i̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶r̶u̶b̶ ̶m̶y̶ ̶n̶i̶p̶p̶ I would rather have Colonel Sanders back at AT, love a bit of fried chicken me.

But imagine having a proper done out spoons at Alton, that is furnished to explore and celebrate the rich heritage of the park, food aside, that would be great. They do have a great track record of using amazing buildings for their pubs, I will give them that. I can absolutely see the appeal for a spoons, while the food is not exactly my cup of tea, it would be good for the park.

It should be noted though that if they did have one, the prices would be inflated just like they are in airports. Making the food bad value for money. It is crap food at a great price, as soon as you inflate the price the value very quickly goes away given the bad quality of the food.

Last edited:
I would place the main fast food joints a tier above the food at AT personally. Still not the best quality. But say what you want about those fast food joints, at least the food is cooked and not microwaved to order.

I do not get what all the rave is about Wetherspoons though, the majority of the food, including the burgers are pre cooked off site then microwaved.to order. One of the few things that is cooked fresh are chips. That is it. The people working the kitchens in spoons are literally glorified microwave operators. That is not an exaggeration either.

There are other chains that do far far better food than spoons for a similar price, but there is a reason why it is so cheap at spoons, because it is microwaved rubbish. Granted I do eat there occasionally as it cheap, but the food is still rubbish to be totally honest. Very bland. If I wanted a microwave meal I would have purchased one. Have you never found it suspicious how quickly they can bring the food out, no matter what is ordered. That is not because it is cooked normally.

Personally I would rather have Colonel Sanders back at AT, love a bit of fried chicken me.

But imagine having a proper done out spoons at Alton, that is furnished to explore and celebrate the rich heritage of the park, food aside that would be great. They do have a great track record of using amazing buildings for their food, I will give them that. I can absolutely see the appeal for a spoons, while the food is not exactly my cup of tea, it would be good for the park.

I have a friend who is a "resturaunt" manager at spoons. Whilst a lot is pre-cooked, somethings are cooked in bulk and somethings are actually cooked fresh, such as the Pizzas (he's always whinging about banging them out in a reasonable time). I think the hype is because how consistent most spoons are. It's cheap, cheerful and theres nearly always one in a cool building of whatever town you are visiting.

Whilst I wouldn't exactly pine for the food in spoons, I would love AT to have a gastro pub that had a similar app for ordering food at the table. Thats my favourite part about visiting a spoons :)

The pizzas being an exception then, the majority of what is on the spoons menu is microwaved.

Not gonna lie, I do not like the quality or the fact it is microwaved at all but I do eat it from time to time, especially after a few cheap beers. The stuff isn't bad but isn't great either. Stonegate pubs do better food at a similar price, I would prefer these at AT.

There will never be a spoons or decent cheap eatery at Alton Towers.
Ever.
Never has been, never will be.
Captive audience, price elasticity of supply and demand, low wages of staff, ability to sell crap food at enhanced prices...why would the park owners let a discount chain in?

The pizzas being an exception then, the majority of what is on the spoons menu is microwaved.

Not gonna lie, I do not like the quality or the fact it is microwaved at all but I do eat it from time to time, especially after a few cheap beers. The stuff isn't bad but isn't great either. Stonegate pubs do better food at a similar price, I would prefer these at AT.

This just isn't true anymore. All meats are cooked on a flame grill - the burgers are not microwaved. Our local spoons has an open kitchen that you can watch from the main bar area and I've watched them cooking (not microwaving) on many occasions.

This just isn't true anymore. All meats are cooked on a flame grill - the burgers are not microwaved. Our local spoons has an open kitchen that you can watch from the main bar area and I've watched them cooking (not microwaving) on many occasions.

I was in a Wetherspoons kitchen last week, they were microwaving the food. Wasn't even a grill in sight.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.