• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2019: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
One last memory from last weeks trip...
As I came off nemesis for the second time, my wife was sat outside the coffee shop with a plastic half pint bottle of Stella, enjoying the Sun.
Sharing our hobbies, me coasters, her beer.
Four pounds fifteen pence, eighty three shillings in old money...or eight pounds thirty a pint.
Robbing blighters.
I love you all the same Alton Towers.

There are few things I dislike in life, one being expensive beer.

Maybe one of the factors it being priced so high is to deter people drinking loads, seeing as it is family park. Obviously high profit margins will play the biggest factor.

I for one know the struggles first hand, once a drop of the sweet, tantalising and juicy alcohol touches the tongue, I want more and more until my throat resembles Niagara Falls.

Hotels it's different, your not on park so all that goes out the window, lets go mental and lets get steaming.

I will have 2 of everything please sir.

Last edited:
Towers was dry, except for meals in one cafe, for quite a few years.
Then they opened a bar by the oblivion hole, half pint plastic bottles, can't remember the price, but it was the most expensive pint I purchased for over a decade.
But to be able to watch the trains drop down the hole with a beer in your hand was special.
And getting my wife an eight quid pint is worth it if I get a repeat ride on nemesis.
Every time.

Then they opened a bar by the oblivion hole, half pint plastic bottles, can't remember the price, but it was the most expensive pint I purchased for over a decade.
But to be able to watch the trains drop down the hole with a beer in your hand was special.
And getting my wife an eight quid pint is worth it if I get a repeat ride on nemesis.
Every time.

Excuse me if I am getting confused, but is your wife's name Nemesis?

Edit. no no I read it wrong.

Every time.

Oblivion hole better not be a nickname/euphemism

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Seems it was the same yesterday, saw this post on Reddit.

d8bdamga39x21.jpg

Source

Seems to be a good week to be on the park, everyone must be broke after Easter.
I was there on Thursday! There was about 15 coachloads of Scottish kids there, and hardly anybody else. Got all the coasters in in less that 2 hours! It was raining too, which made it fun!

Sorry for changing the subject, but does anyone know what's up with Enterprise? It's been down for a few days now.

Get a Wetherspoons installed in the Towers. Can admire the glorious stained glass of the chapel while having a 100% "freshly cooked" Balti brought straight over to the table. True sacrilege.

Have to admit though it's better than a load of mouldy props being dumped in there all year, eh @BarryZola?

Get a Wetherspoons installed in the Towers. Can admire the glorious stained glass of the chapel while having a 100% "freshly cooked" Balti brought straight over to the table. True sacrilege.

Have to admit though it's better than a load of mouldy props being dumped in there all year, eh @BarryZola?

Why does everyone keep going on about putting a Wetherspoons inside theme parks? It is almost certainly not going to happen because it would be financially detrimental.

Theme parks want:
- Easy to prepare, quick food
- Low costs and high margins
- Food with low dwell times (as in, people don't sit for long periods)
- They want to leave you wanting more

We (as in enthusiasts) are not the market they are targeting. They are targeting families and kids. Think about a school trip - they get a relatively low entry rate. How much do they spend in the park? I would reckon they are hitting an additional spend of about £25 per head. So a hot dog here, a burger there, ice cream, chocolate covered whatever. Overpriced vending snacks... this is what parks want to do, because it is where they make money.

The only parks that will have a different outlook on catering outlets will be the likes of Blackpool PB as they are activly competing against outlets around the park. AT, Thorpe, Chessy don't really have that issue.

If you ever see a Wetherspoons type outlet in a proper 'Theme' park, the menu will likely have 4 or 5 items, cost £10 each and it will be served on a paper plate. Oh, and the beer will likely be the cheapest they can get and be sold at £5 a pint. That is theme park economics for you.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.