• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2019: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Yeah a lot for of modern thrill flats require 2 staff to operate.
Given the current situation with Merlin (and Alton in particular) on ride safety, they would be very unwise to have any remotely extreme flat ride operated by a single person alone. The remote dispatch-enable button(s) out of reach of the operator is at least one more ride host confirming that their checks have been made & all looks good to go.

As to Talocan - it is (A) a brilliant ride & (B) just as much fun for spectators. Ripsaw used to get good crowds on the upper level viewing plaza, particularly on hot days when the Op was being generous with the water. (If the wind was in the ride direction, a quick switch to program 7 & the fountains half up at just the right moment could drench said spectators too!)

Alton / Merlin Magic Making have showed us that they can pull off a really well themed coaster with Wicker Man (probably their best theming wise since 1994 with Nemesis). So there is some distant hope of a really well themed flat ride - all depends on how deep Nick's pocket is when Alton get their budget allocation.

Credit where it’s due, the gardens were looking really good today. Certainly better than I have seen for a number of years anyway.

05Yb6cE.jpg

7bxuiiw.jpg

NOBrPpO.jpg

HPkzMZm.jpg

OVsDlVg.jpg

sqMQyVT.jpg

VcOUHfC.jpg

7oBihDf.jpg

Credit where it’s due, the gardens were looking really good today. Certainly better than I have seen for a number of years anyway.

05Yb6cE.jpg

7bxuiiw.jpg

NOBrPpO.jpg

HPkzMZm.jpg

OVsDlVg.jpg

sqMQyVT.jpg

VcOUHfC.jpg

7oBihDf.jpg
They are looking good. Admittedly, late-May & early June is normally when they look their best, but clearly some effort has been made. It is a shame that they can't find some use for the conservatories now they have been returned to their original splendour.

Going back to yesterday, I was very impressed with operations. Even on an off peak weekday most rides were running full capacity.

The monorail had 5 trains on (I remember a couple of years back when they only had 2 trains on off peak), the gates opened 10 minutes early meaning I was on my first ride at 10am on the dot, Rita, Nemesis, Wickerman and Spinball were running all trains, Oblivion on 4, Galactica and Thirteen 2 and Smiler on 3.

Wickerman was pushing out trains onto the lift as the previous one hit the breaks.

All good stuff that proves they CAN do it when they want to. Long may it continue.

It meant I was able to get on 16 rides, wander round the gardens and was leaving before 3pm.

Right that’s two posts from me praising the park. I’m going for a lie down.

Going back to yesterday, I was very impressed with operations. Even on an off peak weekday most rides were running full capacity.

The monorail had 5 trains on (I remember a couple of years back when they only had 2 trains on off peak), the gates opened 10 minutes early meaning I was on my first ride at 10am on the dot, Rita, Nemesis, Wickerman and Spinball were running all trains, Oblivion on 4, Galactica and Thirteen 2 and Smiler on 3.

Wickerman was pushing out trains onto the lift as the previous one hit the breaks.

All good stuff that proves they CAN do it when they want to. Long may it continue.

It meant I was able to get on 16 rides, wander round the gardens and was leaving before 3pm.

I think the signs where there that things would improve this year. Obviously staff take some time to bed in, but the core management have always wanted the better operations and good guest flow.

Only have to hope guests numbers meet expectations, Merlin will make cuts again if the park doesn’t meet the accountants demands.

I concur, operations SO much better this year!

It was rammed today, car parks full, queue from Alton to get in. But the longest queue was 60 mns for Wickerman when i was there, and i was on it in 45 mins. Nemesis extension queue being used, but got on it in 25 mins. Smiler at 45 mins but got on in 30.

Very good stuff, and not for the first time this year!

Did someone say we were long overdue some new fences?!

60605501_2634010053336089_2038922697416638464_n.jpg

Photo by TS.

Stopping people from climbing on the rocks by Duel it seems. Surely it'd be cheaper just to wrap people in cotton wool during bag search on entering the park?

Did someone say we were long overdue some new fences?!

60605501_2634010053336089_2038922697416638464_n.jpg

Photo by TS.

Stopping people from climbing on the rocks by Duel it seems. Surely it'd be cheaper just to wrap people in cotton wool during bag search on entering the park?
A sad reflection of the compensation culture we're in now. All because mummy could sue Towers if little Jonny falls off the rock while said mummy is not watching him and instead is on Instagram.

They wrapped one of the old gondolas in similar vinyls to those used on the monorail as an experiment prior to the new gondolas being installed. It looked very much like the daisy monorail train IIRC.

I never rode it but I imagine it was rubbish on the inside and thankfully we got the new colourful fleet instead.

They wrapped one of the old gondolas in similar vinyls to those used on the monorail as an experiment prior to the new gondolas being installed. It looked very much like the daisy monorail train IIRC.

I never rode it but I imagine it was rubbish on the inside and thankfully we got the new colourful fleet instead.

I do wish they'd remove the vinyls on the monorail. I used to love it when you could see the park below.

I do wish they'd remove the vinyls on the monorail. I used to love it when you could see the park below.
What was the reason for adding them? In a park that has made some awful decisions in recent years this is strangely the one that winds me up the most. Seems completely unnecessary and looks tacky.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.