• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2019: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
This campaign about windows on public transport seems relevant...

https://mobile.twitter.com/search?q=#saveourwindows&src=typed_query

Strangely the normal "it's making them money" reasons don't apply here .

Sent from my Swift 2 Plus using Tapatalk
I like this one
84221e273316feaf0b44bc14140193e0.jpg

Sent from my SM-J600FN using Tapatalk

They wrapped one of the old gondolas in similar vinyls to those used on the monorail as an experiment prior to the new gondolas being installed. It looked very much like the daisy monorail train IIRC.

I never rode it but I imagine it was rubbish on the inside and thankfully we got the new colourful fleet instead.
I had a ride on it, the only difference was the wrap and it was impossible to see out of like the monorail trains. You can see the daisy gondola from 1:57 in this video

Given that they must have been considering wrapping the entire set of old gondolas (why bother to do just one otherwise..?) I'm genuinely quite impressed they went for the far more expensive option of replacing them and modifying the stations to accommodate the new ones. Just a shame the capacity and operating hours are woeful these days.

They’ve always gotten hot when it’s sunny. Just like every other cable car.

The only difference is that, whilst most everyone else still runs theirs in sunshine, Merlin seem to have now seized upon this is an excuse to close yet another attraction.

Add it to the rides elsewhere that they can’t run if it’s ‘cloudy’ or ‘not warm enough’.

They’ve always gotten hot when it’s sunny. Just like every other cable car.

The only difference is that, whilst most everyone else still runs theirs in sunshine, Merlin seem to have now seized upon this is an excuse to close yet another attraction.

Add it to the rides elsewhere that they can’t run if it’s ‘cloudy’ or ‘not warm enough’.
I think this all goes back to The Smiler incident. They cannot risk having another incident that could be easily avoidable and have that plastered all over the press. I guess it's damage limitation. But it is good to see the notice which clearly puts the onus on the guest to make the decision to ride or not.

I can see similar things appearing on the rapids if and when the waterfalls and wave machines are turned back on.

I think this was answered before but I can't remember - what is in the boxes under the seats in the cable car?

I think this was answered before but I can't remember - what is in the boxes under the seats in the cable car?
Emergency supplies in case of a major stoppage.
Monorail also has then (but they are black instead of blue).

Sent from my Swift 2 Plus using Tapatalk

I would've thought bottles of water and foodstuffs that don't melt would be a better choice. Also foil blankets and a potty in case you get cut short :laughing:

Let's be honest, if the cable cars are so hot it's going to make people Ill, and there is an ever present risk of them having a stoppage and people being in them for half an hour or more it only makes sense for them to close.

Nobody needs to see me stripped off to my boxer shorts, sweating at 50 degrees in a glass box suspended at great height with only a warm pandapop to soothe my growing thirst. No guest should experience that.

I remember back in 2004 I think it was, one of the cable cars got jammed as it was coming off the cable onto the cadence rail which guides it into the station, coming from Ugland into the FV station. Not only was there a risk of the car coming off altogether (with people in) as it was neither on the cable of cadence rails, the jam brought the whole system to a full stop.

I believe it was in the middle of June, so if something like this happened again, post Smiler, I think Alton would want to avoid it at all costs.

Disney: can operate a cable car in a place which, in August, is hotter than the surface of the sun.

Merlin: can’t operate a cable car when it’s anything hotter than “big coat weather”.

I would imagine retrofitting air conditioning would be an expensive endeavour with limited reward. On average there are few hot weather days.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.