• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2019: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
A host meeting the group from the bookcase in Hex has been happening since the start of the season. No idea why though, it seemed to work fine for the last 19 or so years.

I can’t see this just being a change from some over enthusiastic host. I imagine any changes on what hosts/ops do, where they stand, the load unload process etc are set in place by management for elf and safety and wouldn’t be easy to change.

They should let people volunteer to clean the place up. I’d quite happily give the grubby slabs around the oblivion hole a good clean with a pressure washer. Things like that bug me haha.

I’ve seen the hex staff so his most of the season (not always though), however I would say it’s pointless and ruins anything that is meant to happen.

On most occasions the staff member shines the light in to the vault before the audio has even finished or it’s said “a vault sealed...” often just shouting “follow me”, etc. Yet to see any of the staff be in any kind of character.

To be clear, the in character bit started before (and continued throughout) the usual Octogan pre-show as well as going through the bookcase and into the vault. It was a clear attempt at a storyline, and was much more significant than just the torch and the "follow me" than has been fairly consistent this season (the torches / hard hats were still used though).

The more I hear about this new staff position in the Octagon the more cringey it sounds.

I know it was suggested years ago on forums, 'hey they should have restoration staff showing you where to go' but it's just not Hex's style at all.

Most the creepiness was feeling alone in the building. One of the reasons I dont think The Haunting was ever as good as Hex (despite it being a perfectly fine haunter originally) was the staff always being there.

Also, enthusiastic teenage staff "Acting" is a trope that just makes me groan now after Sub Terra, Derren Brown, Saw Alive... I'm sure they're trying their best, but please no more Merlin!

Last edited:
They should let people volunteer to clean the place up. I’d quite happily give the grubby slabs around the oblivion hole a good clean with a pressure washer. Things like that bug me haha.
I've often thought that, I'd probably volunteer over the Winter period on weekends or something. In return just keep us fed and watered!
I doubt it would happen due to the H&S rules and probably insurance too.

They'd never allow you near ride infrastructure

lsF5hmZ.jpg

I fear this might be controversial, but the only thing more depressing than ride operators being the only people at Alton Towers who care enough to make a sign presentable, is the idea that enthusiasts would, given the opportunity, work for free to keep the park looking clean, rather than that being the responsibility of Merlin. I remember this also happened a decade or so ago, when people were genuinely looking into some sort of early version of crowdfunding to fix some effects within and across Duel. It's reminiscent of the power dynamics in some abusive relationships!

I fear this might be controversial, but the only thing more depressing than ride operators being the only people at Alton Towers who care enough to make a sign presentable, is the idea that enthusiasts would, given the opportunity, work for free to keep the park looking clean, rather than that being the responsibility of Merlin. I remember this also happened a decade or so ago, when people were genuinely looking into some sort of early version of crowdfunding to fix some effects within and across Duel. It's reminiscent of the power dynamics in some abusive relationships!

Ah if only the park were owned by a global multi billion pound organisation that could easily afford to PAY people to undertake basic maintenance and upkeep of the park.

So I have done Hex twice this year, the first time the octagon room played as it always had with the generator working.

The second time the generator was switched off and when the preshow went pitched black it remained dark until a staff member in costume with a torch and exclaimed “The power has gone out, this way everyone; Can we have the power back on please?” and which the generator came back on.

So it seems like the preshow program has been subtly changed to accommodate this host speech. I think it’s a nice little touch but I guess it makes the preshow dependant on how enthusiastic the ride host is.

So do we think these changes to Hex have come from management or staff suggesting the changes to management? Could it be linked to the Nemesis sign in that ride hosts are being given the chance to suggest enhancements to the rides they operate like a suggestion box system?

The second time the generator was switched off and when the preshow went pitched black it remained dark until a staff member in costume with a torch and exclaimed “The power has gone out, this way everyone; Can we have the power back on please?” and which the generator came back on.

It doesn't sound like the pre-show programme has been tweaked? Unless I am mistaken, there has always been an extended pause after the power goes off and the room plunges into darkness and before the generator powers back on. Incidentally, this is one of the eeriest moments in the ride (and the generator sound effect is brilliant), so while the change doesn't sound terrible, I could do without a staff member doing some theatrical shtick. If somebody in a hi-vis needs to be present to shine a torch, though, so be it. I have witnessed some pretty dense guest reactions when the curtain has lifted in the past.

Magic voice controlled generators?

I mean if they want that at least give them a huge fake switch to throw so it looks real. I mean, who are they asking to turn the power on?

I don't really see the purpose of this change.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.