• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2019: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
I know absolutely no enthusiast seems to agree but for me smiler and wicker man are far superior to nemesis. Sorry nemmy fan boys

Nothing to do with fanboyism, Smiler is a great layout but is rougher than Hanley on a Saturday night with dodgy theming and wicker is fun but incredibly average.

Nemesis gets a lot of nostalgia credit but it led the way in all round package roller coasting

Wickerman is chronically underrated and a better ride experience than Nemesis. It's very tight between them. Smiler is good but not as superior.

Nemesis and wickerman are two different ride experiences. Both of them are brilliant rides. However you can't compare them.
Nemesis is my favourite inverting coaster and wickerman is my favourite non inverting coaster.

Sent from my SM-J600FN using Tapatalk

Wickerman is chronically underrated and a better ride experience than Nemesis. It's very tight between them. Smiler is good but not as superior.

These things are subjective and it’s good if you find WM better than Nemesis. Having ridden a few GCI wooden coasters I’m afraid it sits at the bottom of that pack for me. It’s fun and a good family coaster for the Towers line-up but track and train is very very average.

Woodan on the other hand.....

Arrived on park yesterday.

Nice to see the bricks with our names on have weathered nicely :eek::(

oAVBvYd.jpg

Spotted a new (leek?) sign with regards to treating staff and other guest with respect

e21NSco.jpg

They were testing the rapids yesterday, but still not open due to the ride still being in the hands of the tech staff. They are hoping for the ride to be up and running next month and also I've heard from two different sources (but don't hold me to that) that they are planning to turn back on the waterfalls this season too :)

Overall, I feel that the ride operations were a lot better this year and what a different having no staggered opening times make to our day. Also great to make use of the single rider queue line on the Smiler and nice to see it manage at the entrance to prevent it being abused.

Last edited:
These things are subjective and it’s good if you find WM better than Nemesis. Having ridden a few GCI wooden coasters I’m afraid it sits at the bottom of that pack for me. It’s fun and a good family coaster for the Towers line-up but track and train is very very average.

Woodan on the other hand.....
"Very very average" is very very harsh.

Wickerman is excellent. It's not my favourite GCI either but it's still well up there with the very best UK coasters.

It shows just how good GCI are as a manufacturer. All of their modern day coasters are generally very highly rated, with consistent quality regardless of the height/speed.

To borrow a boxing term, 'pound for pound' Wickerman isn't far off Wodan.

Arrived on park yesterday.

Spotted a new (leek?) sign with regards to treating staff and other guest with respect

e21NSco.jpg

Wow, that sign is erm... aggressive. I appreciate the importance of the message and am sure it may well be (sadly) necessary, however, I don't think the location helps to create a good first impression for guests waiting at the entrance.

It isn't even in the resort font!

Its probably a very necessary sign though, no doubt the staff have to deal with a lot of confrontation. The font could be more welcoming though.

Wow, that sign is erm... aggressive. I appreciate the importance of the message and am sure it may well be (sadly) necessary, however, I don't think the location helps to create a good first impression for guests waiting at the entrance.

It isn't even in the resort font!
But if it was in the resort font (I presume you mean the quirky one) then not only will it make it harder to read but also the sign will look just like any other and people will ignore it thinking its just advertising something. It needs to stand out so people will take notice and it'll be harder for them the say they never saw it should anything kick off.

But if it was in the resort font (I presume you mean the quirky one) then not only will it make it harder to read but also the sign will look just like any other and people will ignore it thinking its just advertising something. It needs to stand out so people will take notice and it'll be harder for them the say they never saw it should anything kick off.
*mother hen is the font.
They actually had this sign displayed on the RBO screens last year, apparently people kick off at the RBO on occasion.

Sent from my Swift 2 Plus using Tapatalk

These type are signs are popping up everywhere (hospital and GP's not just Alton and theme parks). Unfortunately we now live in a world where people just think its OK to disrespect other people and seem to think that solving things is by simply using abusive language.

Even yesterday, Jess and I had a few runs ins with disrespectful people. Just because my wife's chair takes up space and is in their way, but yet there is plenty of other free space for them to go and nothing of interest where we are.

At the end of the day, it cost nothing to be polite and respectful and will take up less energy and time than wanting to cause trouble (or pick a fight) at every opportunity.

These type are signs are popping up everywhere (hospital and GP's not just Alton and theme parks). Unfortunately we now live in a world where people just think its OK to disrespect other people and seem to think that solving things is by simply using abusive language.

Even yesterday, Jess and I had a few runs ins with disrespectful people. Just because my wife's chair takes up space and is in their way, but yet there is plenty of other free space for them to go and nothing of interest where we are.

At the end of the day, it cost nothing to be polite and respectful and will take up less energy and time than wanting to cause trouble (or pick a fight) at every opportunity.
And here is a prime example of such behaviour when it goes beyond verbal. And the woman who did it had kids with her!! :eek::eek:
She should be ashamed but I bet she couldn't give a damn and reckoned the woman deserved nearly getting run over, probably wishing she had of been.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-london-47717111/moment-woman-pushed-towards-london-bus#

Do they have some obligation to look after the bricks for so long? Ours was one of the originals so no doubt after looking at that picture it’s weathered horribly and is now illegible

I find being polite and asking questions, like can you explain why..... or has the company realised the impact. Usually get a better response from staff than a string of abuse for stuff outside their control. As some of them are as frustrated at the situation as me.

I have also found after a few f and jeff customers, walking up and being polite, whist getting my point across. staff will be more willing and/or generous in helping to sort the issue out.

The one thing i feel is the abusive visitors would be the first to complain about lack of respect if they were on the receiving end of their torrent of abuse.

Sent from my SM-J600FN using Tapatalk

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.