2019: The Alton Towers Dungeon

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GaryH, 28th Jun 2018.

1. Dave

Dave TS Founding Member

Been rumoured for a while but I would expect it to be in the Towers without any major ride hardware and be a pay extra attraction.

Last edited: 28th Jun 2018
  2. Plastic Person

Plastic Person TowersStreet Member

This is surely going to be where we see the 'David Walliams World' (can't believe I'm typing that, although his books are supposedly pretty great), that we saw reffered to by the man himself, then swiftly removed from the edit on Britain's Got Talent earlier this year?

Rick likes this.
  3. AstroDan

AstroDan TS Forum Team Team Member

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance, Cedar Point
    I've known about this for a while now and it's completely the wrong attraction at the wrong time.

Totally misguided madness from the fools in charge.

I think the David Walliams idea is dead and buried.

An upcharge Dungeon at ATR will fail.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

WickerManiac, BigAl, DW_0505 and 11 others like this.
  4. Plastic Person

Plastic Person TowersStreet Member

Are they really doing this, then? Dear me. :confused:

I can't wait for my family and I to learn about the gruesome medieval history of Alton Towers (founded 1860).

5. Rick

Rick TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Crux
    Tree Top Qu... oh, wait.

bdl, Mew, NemeTime and 16 others like this.
  6. Dave

Dave TS Founding Member

Nice to see Merlin continuing with the streak of opening staff intensive, poorly thought out and (probably) short lived attractions.

bdl, WickerManiac, NemeTime and 9 others like this.
  7. Rob

Rob TS Forum Team Team Member

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance
    They can't really be considering this can they? Is there no commen sense from management at both Alton Towers and Merlin?

Look at recent investments at Alton Towers and Thorpe Park. Sub-Terra, Galactica, Derren Brown, I'm a Celebrity; all staff intensive at a time that we are seeing cuts to operational budgets therefore reductions in staffing levels on other attractions. THESE INVESTENTS ARE NOT SUSTAINABLE!!!

Alton Towers is crying out for a solid family investment. Something substatial that fills the gap between CBeebies and the coasters. Something to replace the popular Flume. A Dungeons would be yet another attraction with a dark theme to help spread more misery across the park. I am sure it could be done well with some local legends and so on but Alton Towers needs so much more before they consider a Dungeons.

Moronic.

:)

b2311e, Coaster, Jonathan and 6 others like this.
  8. AT86

AT86 TowersStreet Member

Dark theme
    Staff intensive
    Up charge attraction

Just what Alton Towers needs right now as the current guest feedback is clearly saying how fantastic value the place is and that they would love nothing more than handing over even more cash on their day out.

9. MakoMania

MakoMania TowersStreet Member

It's a strange idea even if it's included in park admission, if it's an upcharge then it's worse :p

10. Benzin

Benzin TowersStreet Member

Haven't they done this at Warwick?

The darkest timeline continues...

ringo likes this.
  11. ringo

ringo TowersStreet Member

Yes and it’s an up charge there although limited Premium pass tickets for free each day

12. Bunny Munro

Bunny Munro TowersStreet Member

Hate the idea.

13. Snagglemama

Snagglemama TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Wicker man.
    When you've seen one dungeon you've seen them all. Perhaps the money would be better spent on making sure the rides they have are in good working order.

IanSR, DiogoJ42 and RoyJess like this.
  14. AstroDan

AstroDan TS Forum Team Team Member

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance, Cedar Point
    The park needs supporting flat rides.

Not this.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

WickerManiac, NemeTime, Olii and 13 others like this.
  15. Robert.W

Robert.W TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    I think with the case of all the dungeons having a similar experience, you've got to consider the market for each individual attraction. The likes of the London Dungeon, for example, will be primarily marketed to tourists (national and international) who are visiting London. It's not an attraction in itself, you wouldn't find people visiting London just to do the dungeon. Alton Towers having a very different market, mostly aimed towards families from the UK, so while the dungeons themselves might be the same, their visitors are so different that they likely wouldn't have visited the other ones anyway.

Obviously, that doesn't excuse the fact Alton don't actually need an attraction of this type...

16. TheAverageNerd

TheAverageNerd TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Taron
    I'd be more concerned about Merlin doing something like re-theming Hex to a dungeons experience, perhaps replacing the ride section with the ABC drop towers in an outdoor extension, I really wouldn't put it past Merlin replacing a beloved ride with an up-charge attraction tbh...

DiogoJ42 and Alsty like this.
  17. Matt N

Matt N TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Mako (SeaWorld Orlando)
    Certainly an interesting idea, but not my sort of thing at all. Not sure whether they'll charge extra or not.

Also, where in the Towers would they put this? Would it be where one of the scare mazes currently is during Scarefest, or could it be where Crux, the short-lived walkthrough that the Towers apparently once housed in the 2000s, used to be?

18. James

James TS Founding Member

I like the idea but it's not something Towers needs right now, and definitely not something they will be able to afford keep running. How many years shall we give it until it becomes yet another Merlin SBNO attraction? 2 seasons?

That's true, although is it something people would think it's worth travelling to Towers for? I doubt it, and I doubt this would draw in any more guests than adding 2 or 3 new flat rides around the park would.

I thought similar but instead keeping the mad house and retheming that, and not bothering with drop towers like the other Dungeons.

19. TheAverageNerd

TheAverageNerd TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Taron
    I actually detest this idea with a passion :tearsofjoy: Given that it was recently given TLC though I doubt it will happen.

Robert.W and James like this.
  20. Bert2theSpark

Bert2theSpark TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Favourite Ride's Gone
    At least we know why the Towers have been closing rediculously early over the past few years now. :p