2019: The Alton Towers Dungeon

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GaryH, 28th Jun 2018.

1. Rojo

Rojo TowersStreet Member

Is there definitely a charge?

It could be a small teaser product in the park to create brand awareness, like the sea life center.

Totally agree that flats and CCL refurbishment make more sense but when has Merlin dealt in logic :p?

Robert.W likes this.
  2. TheAverageNerd

TheAverageNerd TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Taron
    Unless of course this is a replacement for terror of the towers. Rumors of a replacement have been circulating recently and something like this would be a welcome addition to the scarefest lineup. The dungeons are family scare attractions anyway, the same as TOTT so it would fit quite well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

imanautie and Robert.W like this.
  3. AT86

AT86 TowersStreet Member

Do they usually trade mark the names for the Scarefest mazes?

TheAverageNerd likes this.
  4. TheAverageNerd

Favourite Ride:
    Taron
    I don’t think so, but if they are basing it on an existing IP, it would make sense.

Robert.W likes this.
  5. JB1985

JB1985 TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Oblivion
    Meh

6. WallisDan

WallisDan TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    I now think the best place would be in the Towers. And classified in the same area 'The Towers' as Hex. It could be a seasonal attraction-where the attraction only opens in holidays and peak days or an up charge attraction available all year (12 months)

imanautie likes this.
  7. Alsty

Alsty TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Shambhala
    Can't say I like this idea, upcharge or not. Some flat or family rides would be much cheaper to run and be better suited, as well as require less staff resourcing.

b2311e, Brad97, WallisDan and 2 others like this.
  8. Ben

Ben TS Founding Member

Favourite Ride:
    Your Dad
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

NO

NemeTime, Croftybaby, Ted and 10 others like this.
  9. Robert.W

Robert.W TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    According to a user of another forum who has spoken with management about this, it is supposed to be going in the former CATCF building (keeping the elevators, the water ride, and adding some extra walkthrough scenes)... so where does that leave the rest of CCL for that supposed retheme? Could they split CCL in half so that the Burger Kitchen and The Alton Towers Dungeon are part of The Towers and the area past the Twirling Toadstool be part of a new themed area (possibly themed to David Walliams books)?

danni87, b2311e, Skyscraper and 2 others like this.
  10. DiogoJ42

DiogoJ42 TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    The Metropolitan Line
    What the actual screaming fornication‽

11. RoyJess

RoyJess TowersStreet Member

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! :fearscream::fearscream::fearscream::fearscream:

b2311e and Skyscraper like this.
  12. AT86

AT86 TowersStreet Member

What fresh hell is this?

13. John

John TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance
    Officially the worst non-coaster idea in Alton Towers' proud history of bad non-coaster ideas.

BigAl, Ted, Rob and 5 others like this.
  14. Rick

Rick TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Crux
    If they want to create a new dark ride using some existing hardware, I see why this would work.

I don't think they are going to recreate the London Dungeon at Alton, that wouldn't make any sense. But... to create something bespoke utilising an internal IP and Alton's fascinating history, I'm on board with that. You wouldn't need a huge number of staff to achieve that.

Sorry I am not more mad/outraged at the prospect.

JackFitzy, Tim, altongeek and 7 others like this.
  15. Error

Error TowersStreet Member

To be honest I agree totally with this.

If it is another London Dungeon then meh a waste, but revolving around Alton history and maybe even Hex/Towers then yeah count me intrigued.

NemeTime, b2311e, Skyscraper and 4 others like this.
  16. TheAverageNerd

Favourite Ride:
    Taron
    Could this mean we are getting a Victorian-style re-theme for CCL? I kinda like that idea more than the other IP based suggestions as at least there is some originality behind it and the potential for some good theming. Hmmm...

17. GaryH

GaryH TowersStreet Member

Hmmmm.....well, we know CCL is going to get a makeover possibly next year and the rumour is it will be Lego themed.

CaTCF would not fit into that, and the building would become an entity in its own right. If they could separate the building from the burger kitchen next door and CCL then it could function as a dungeon, and dare I say it, given it's location and isolation, it could be a extra cost attraction.

However..... The majority of that building is water ride, so unless they spend a considerable amount on changing the interior, I can't see how it would work. Personally, I would have thought expanding NST would have been the more logical option but I guess the floor space there isn't enough.

A big worry however is that given the location of CaTCF, it's very isolated, would a dungeon get the footfall . I mean, how many of us venture up that area now, or indeed when CaTCF was open?

18. TheAverageNerd

Favourite Ride:
    Taron
    LEGO themed? That’s a new one for me. Interesting.

19. Robert.W

Robert.W TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    That's really interesting, not heard that rumour before. Personally I'm not the greatest fan of there being a LEGO themed area at Towers, especially as there's an actual Legoland in the UK! I'd much rather see what @TheAverageNerd suggested and have a Victorian theme which would work much better with the Dungeon, and is much more original. As for space inside the building, I'm pretty sure hearing somewhere that there is quite a bit of space that wasn't actually used when it became CATCF, so it's possible that they have enough room to add some extra walk through scenes without needing to extend the building.

To be honest, the reason I haven't been in the CCL area since 2015 is because of all the closures and lack of any new rides, as well as the degrading quality of the area in general. If they added a new attraction, like The Alton Towers Dungeon, and gave the area a new well executed theme, I can see it encouraging people to venture into the area again.

20. AT86

AT86 TowersStreet Member

Yes I believe the original plan for the Charlie building was for it to include a shop and ‘party rooms’ that could be hired out. In the end they were never built so the space has remained empty ever since.