2020: General Discussion

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Danny, 20th Nov 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Swarm Chris

Swarm Chris TowersStreet Member

I presume the undefined definition of 'large' here, is a few people more than Towers intend to place in the audience for their performance and show.

2. jon81uk

jon81uk TowersStreet Member

I would imagine one reason why they have set the price at £10 even for passholders is to limit numbers a bit.

to be honest I don't think that's a bad deal either for what is probably going to be quite a nice special experience and is usually only available with a £200+ hotel package. The only thing that will be strange is seeing Santa outdoors!

ringo likes this.
  3. AltonBuzz

AltonBuzz TowersStreet Member

Swarm Chris, Skyscraper and AT86 like this.
  4. AT86

AT86 TowersStreet Member

This actually sounds like a great little event, good on them for trying to make it work despite everything going on.

Great to see even more entertainment, there has been more entertainment at the park this year than the last 5 years combined.

5. jon81uk

Technically there is no increase in the amount of entertainment, the Santa Sleepover events have always had a Panto in the conference centre and singers in the usual hotel spaces. Its just due to Covid everything has moved outdoors this year and the event has had to switch to day tickets instead of being hotel packages only.

Skyscraper likes this.
  6. AT86

AT86 TowersStreet Member

Yeah I get that. But I can’t help but wonder if a couple of years back in these circumstances they would have just said ‘sorry, no entertainment, cos covid’ and saved themselves some coins.

The fact they are trying to make it work is positive in my eyes.

jon81uk and Skyscraper like this.
  7. jon81uk

My guess is they already contracted the hire company for the stage and the garden lighting on the assumption the Santa Sleepover would go ahead, so its better to run something to try to get money in than nothing.

AT86 and Skyscraper like this.
  8. AT86

AT86 TowersStreet Member

Could be, although I think the stage is just the one from Thorpe Park, so it’s Merlin owned.

Skyscraper and jon81uk like this.
  9. Islander

Islander TowersStreet Member

Also bear in mind that hire contracts are easily cancelled, especially in these times where a company with as much clout as Merlin can easily put conditions on their hire such as "in the event we cannot trade due to COVID, we can back out of this agreement". Or of course they can play the force majeure card.

MattyH likes this.
  10. Ethan

Ethan TowersStreet Member

So how did everyone think the rides were running this season? I know it's a bit late asking but would be interesting to see if any of your opinions of rides has changed. Also here's a topic, how would you rank the coasters in terms of smoothness? From my experience this year I'd personally say:
    1. Galactica
    2. Th13teen
    3. Oblivion
    4. Nemesis
    5. Smiler
    6. Wicker man
    7. Rita

11. AT86

AT86 TowersStreet Member

Swarm Chris likes this.
  12. RoyJess

RoyJess TowersStreet Member

James, ringo, djtruefitt and 2 others like this.
  13. rob666

rob666 TowersStreet Member

Don't worry about your grandma smelling mate, we all have a right to a private family life these days...put in for the job.

ringo, RoyJess and Steve74 like this.
  14. ringo

ringo TowersStreet Member

It’s both I think, but one bigger problem is they often employ people who aren’t suited to the job and that ranges from ride staff to management.

How do you right the wrongs though, do a restructuring and make everyone reapply for their job? That wrecks morale and if it doesn’t apply to management (the ones hiring) then you get stuck with potentially the same problem.

That’s just my general thought about Merlin.

imanautie likes this.
  15. Matt N

Matt N TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Mako (SeaWorld Orlando)
    I’m surprised that it hasn’t been mentioned that the rides are open until 7:30pm during this Christmas event, meaning that there’s now an additional opportunity for night rides!

Well, admittedly only on Spinball or Octonauts, in terms of coasters, but my point still stands; 7:30pm is far later than I would have expected, so well done Towers!

Skyscraper likes this.
  16. Craig

Craig TS Administrator Team Member

I've removed a number of posts naming a staff member, specifically one who hadn't even worked in that role for a while and has since left!

As a reminder, we generally do not allow individual staff members to be named on the forum. The exception to this is if the member of staff is currently a "public face" of the park, e.g. appears in media etc. Even if this were the case, comments about them should be constructive and respectful. If anyone has any issue with this, please message me privately - thanks.

Connor98, Ethan, ThisGuy and 4 others like this.
  17. Thameslink Rail

Thameslink Rail TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    The Smiler
    This time last year I went to Europa which had a nearly full line-up and I got a ridiculous amount of night rides. I would love to see a UK park run like that at Christmas!

Matt N likes this.
  18. AT86

AT86 TowersStreet Member

From what I can see on Towers St Twitter it certainly seems that the Christmas event has been stepped up this year in terms of what is available and carries on the significant improvements in events that the park has seen this year...long may it continue :)

Matt N likes this.
  19. Bert2theSpark

Bert2theSpark TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Favourite Ride's Gone
    It's a shame that the Pantomime has been cancelled due to Tier 3 restrictions (although football matches are allowed), Maybe the park could record a show of the Pantomime for Christmas and release it on Facebook and YouTube to build awareness of an Alton Towers Christmas event, especially if they wanted to expand it next year, with say something like a Christmas market.

20. Thameslink Rail

Thameslink Rail TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    The Smiler
    Football matches have to be behind closed doors in tier 3

jon81uk likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.