• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2020: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.

I’m a bit surprised they hadn’t already come up with different scenarios as to what they could or couldn’t do depending on what tier they are in.

They probably have - previously they have provided updates around 5.30pm once the call centres have closed. It could be to give them time to send out emails to those affected to avoid the rush on the phone lines.

I think the plan is for anyone vulnerable to be vaccinated by then so Towers should be fine.
By the end of lockdown next week? I doubt it lol...

To take what you actually meant, as in the start/middle of March, I think vaccinating all vulnerable by then is highly optimistic

By the end of lockdown next week? I doubt it lol...

To take what you actually meant, as in the start/middle of March, I think vaccinating all vulnerable by then is highly optimistic
Currently they are testing 350 000 people per day, if they vaccinated at that rate then it would take about a month to give everyone over 65 (just under 12 million people) their first dose.

Well considering they can’t open anything but the gardens and toilet and I don’t think there’s much else they can do.
So this means that if Staffordshire is in tier 3 in spring then the theme park won't be able to open
I'm not so sure that's the case. I guess we'll need to wait for the legislation to be sure, but this guide says:

hospitality settings, such as bars (including shisha venues), pubs, cafes and restaurants are closed – they are permitted to continue sales by takeaway, click-and-collect, drive-through or delivery services.

So no hotels, restaurants or bars. Takeaway still fine, just not dining in.

indoor entertainment and tourist venues must close. This includes:
... (extensive list not including theme parks)

And

indoor attractions at mostly outdoor entertainment venues must also close (indoor shops, through-ways and public toilets at such attractions can remain open). This includes indoor attractions within:
  • theme parks, circuses, fairgrounds and funfairs
So this suggests to me theme parks can be open but not indoor attractions.

Nonetheless, people are advised not to travel unnecessarily.

(People in tier 1 and 2)
Avoid travel to or overnight stays in tier 3 areas
(People in tier 3)
you can continue to travel to venues or amenities which are open, but should aim to reduce the number of journeys you make where possible

So that would mean that the park could theoretically open in spring even if Staffordshire is still in Tier 3, just without any hotels or indoor attractions. You also couldn’t have anybody from outside Staffordshire visiting.

Yep, breaks up to the 16th December have indeed been cancelled. I received a cancellation notification a few hours ago with a voucher following just now.

Must say I'm slightly peeved that the Resort aren't offering refunds as I'd only booked the hotel stay because it was vastly cheaper than it normally is, and I can't see us getting the same price again mid season next year.

Of course I was well aware of the risk of it being cancelled at short notice when I booked (pre lockdown v2) but I perhaps should have given more consideration to the fact it'd be a voucher. Looking forward to trying to argue this one with them :(

Yep, breaks up to the 16th December have indeed been cancelled. I received a cancellation notification a few hours ago with a voucher following just now.

Must say I'm slightly peeved that the Resort aren't offering refunds as I'd only booked the hotel stay because it was vastly cheaper than it normally is, and I can't see us getting the same price again mid season next year.

Of course I was well aware of the risk of it being cancelled at short notice when I booked (pre lockdown v2) but I perhaps should have given more consideration to the fact it'd be a voucher. Looking forward to trying to argue this one with them :(
They are doing refunds but you have to contact them after you get a voucher (I've been told due to a HX limitation)

So that would mean that the park could theoretically open in spring even if Staffordshire is still in Tier 3, just without any hotels or indoor attractions. You also couldn’t have anybody from outside Staffordshire visiting.
Well yes but no smiler, wickerman, Oblivion, TH13TEEN,Nemesis etc...

The 40% off short break sale goes live tomorrow for Black Friday for stays during the 2021 main season - you might be able to find yourself a good deal to use the voucher on, if that helps.

Quite honestly If I was them I would of cancelled all sleepovers for this year instead of getting peoples hopes up for 16th. I hardly doubt we will see any changes to the tier situations within two weeks now that all retail is open.

I'd be expecting a refund on principle tbh.

If this was a small family concern, you might be inclined to show forbearance, but Merlin is not that.

While there may be a way to claim a refund, on the face of it there is no mention of this and most will assume they are not entitled to a refund (much to the joy of Towers) which is not a great way to keep custom. I would be very annoyed. I've got a Christmas break booked (in tier 2 area so not cancelled luckily) however the company for that has made it clear that if the break is cancelled, we are entitled to change our break to 2021 OR receive a full refund, stated in black and white in all correspondence.

Towers seem to be taking the approach of doing what they can to avoid customers asking for refunds, by not stating this anywhere.

Naughty.

While there may be a way to claim a refund, on the face of it there is no mention of this and most will assume they are not entitled to a refund (much to the joy of Towers) which is not a great way to keep custom. I would be very annoyed. I've got a Christmas break booked (in tier 2 area so not cancelled luckily) however the company for that has made it clear that if the break is cancelled, we are entitled to change our break to 2021 OR receive a full refund, stated in black and white in all correspondence.

Towers seem to be taking the approach of doing what they can to avoid customers asking for refunds, by not stating this anywhere.

Naughty.
It's not towers but merlin in general.

More info on the Christmas opening is on the website. Opening hours are decent!

XRONlub.jpg

RALsQXF.jpg

QSHtKnD.jpg

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.