• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2020: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Anyone else starting to think that even if an emergency law was passed specifically mentioning theme parks as one of many places that MUST close....... Merlin would STILL open, just so they could con people out of refunds if they chose not to visit?

Anyone else starting to think that even if an emergency law was passed specifically mentioning theme parks as one of many places that MUST close....... Merlin would STILL open, just so they could con people out of refunds if they chose not to visit?

If it was law they had to close then the park would be happy as they can claim on their insurance and probably get more money than they would from the tiny number of guests who will actually show up.

Anyone certain that Merlin have cover for this?
When I worked in local government, I was amazed to learn that the council had zero buildings insurance at all for all its premises across the county.
Many insurance companies are attempting to hide behind "Force Majoure" clauses.

Just been searching.
Force Majoure and Act of God are the two simple escape clauses that an awful lot of insurance companies will invoke to avoid them going bust.
Has to be stated and defined in the policy for F.M.
Act of God is a great cover all, and will probably hit a lot if small firms hard.

I posted on the other thread,

And on that news does Merlin take responsibility and close or are they going to stay open and let the public be the “irresponsible” ones for visiting...
I mean technically they haven't been told to shut. Boris is just advising people to not go to gatherings and events unnecessarily. Yes it may massively affect Merlin's revenue if not as many turn up, but like they themself said, some customers coming in is "better than nothing"

I mean technically they haven't been told to shut. Boris is just advising people to not go to gatherings and events unnecessarily. Yes it may massively affect Merlin's revenue if not as many turn up, but like they themself said, some customers coming in is "better than nothing"
Amusement parks are definitely not essential social contact. Personally with this advice I think the government should force them to close.

If I'm being honest they're making a massive deal out of this virus, it's ridiculous. Around 1.6k have it in the uk out of a 72 million population, but yet boris is telling people to not go in gatherings. Why can't they just tell the elderly and vulnerable to isolate and be done with it. They don't advise people to not go out if they've got the flu. Jeez people just need to calm down

If I'm being honest they're making a massive deal out of this virus, it's ridiculous. Around 1.6k have it in the uk out of a 72 million population, but yet boris is telling people to not go in gatherings. Why can't they just tell the elderly and vulnerable to isolate and be done with it. They don't advise people to not go out if they've got the flu. Jeez people just need to calm down
The 1.6k are just the confirmed cases, and that is a number that has risen drastically during the last week or so, and it will continue to exponentially increase over the coming weeks. It's ignorance like this that causes something like this to spread so quickly, and as someone whose partner is immuno-suppressed, this attitude isn't appreciated.

and as someone whose partner is immuno-suppressed, this attitude isn't appreciated.
Your partner is more at risk and vulnerable, so she should definitely isolate to protect herself. I understand what you're saying, but surely it should just be those that are vulnerable who isolate as those who will recover shouldn't have to aswell

Because it's not just the elderly that will catch it, and that will put a strain on the NHS.

I'm sorry, but I struggle to respect anyone who prioritises riding gangster granny the ride over following the guidelines set in place to ensure as few casualties as possible.

I hope that the park makes the right decision this weekend and stays shut, but only time will tell.

The virus itself is scary for those who are vulnerable, I don’t see myself as someone who is so I am not terribly scared of it.

I am scared however of the economic impact it will have (and distress it will and is causing people).

To an extent, the cries for help from the aviation industry make me fearful of the impact it could do to the likes of Towers Imagine being a small business right now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.