• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2020: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Well if you look at China, they turned things around in about three months. I understand they're not out the woods yet and things are not back to normal, but things are slowly returning to normal. Optimistically we could be in the same place in three months so by the end of the summer holidays I'd like to think things are getting back to normal here. It's conjecture of course but I'm trying to balance best case against worst case.
Quite a few parks are now open in China, and if you saw some of the photos of Chinese tourist attractions over the weekend, they were rammed! So in most parts of China bar Wuhan, I'd say they're effectively back to normal.

Also, some European countries like Austria are now beginning to lift lockdown gradually starting with the opening of some non-essential shops on 14th April. Germany has now also put measures into place that means lockdown & social distancing could be lifted on the 19th April while still keeping the R0 value below 1.

Don't forget the world is watching China very carefully to see if they have a second outbreak, based on whether they do or not will determine how we come out of lock down

I wonder if because of the chances of a second outbreak we will stay in lockdown for longer, thus meaning theme parks and shizzle have to open later on in the year? Or do we think the government will start to reduce restrictions after this outbreak is calming down?
And on the topic of theme parks staying closed - has anybody with an AT season pass heard anything about partial refunds or having it carried over til next year or anything? Obviously it's not anyone's top concern right now - I'm just interested because me and my sister have passes :)

There's also the old chestnut known as the economy that the government is thinking about; if we're in lockdown for too long and businesses are closed for too long, then that will cause huge economic damage, which would arguably cause more harm to people than the virus itself. The government is trying to strike a balance between saving the economy and saving lives, so they will likely remove lockdown measures if there's any sign that cases are easing, even if only temporarily.

I wonder if because of the chances of a second outbreak we will stay in lockdown for longer, thus meaning theme parks and shizzle have to open later on in the year? Or do we think the government will start to reduce restrictions after this outbreak is calming down?
And on the topic of theme parks staying closed - has anybody with an AT season pass heard anything about partial refunds or having it carried over til next year or anything? Obviously it's not anyone's top concern right now - I'm just interested because me and my sister have passes :)

“Depending on how long the Resort is closed, we will review the terms and conditions of our 2020 Season Passes to ensure that they still deliver great value for passholders. Please bear with us whilst we work out all the details of this. Updates will be posted on our website.

If you are unable to make use of your 2020 Season Pass at all due to the impact of the Coronavirus, please contact our team after 1st October 2020 at [email protected] to discuss your options”

https://www.altontowers.com/plan-your-visit/coronavirus/#can-i-get-a-refund-on-my-season-pass

I’m so unsure how this is all going to pan out, but I’m pretty sure after they lift lockdown I don’t think they will let leisure sites open straight away. so I’d say they are looking about end of June early July till they reopen. Obviously this year is a write off and I think they know that.

They should just let everything reopen in one go. Give a date and bang everything is open.
Gives people space to distance themselves

Otherwise it’s open just the pubs. Everyone goes to the pub

Open just leisure sites Everyone goes there.

I’m so unsure how this is all going to pan out, but I’m pretty sure after they lift lockdown I don’t think they will let leisure sites open straight away. so I’d say they are looking about end of June early July till they reopen. Obviously this year is a write off and I think they know that.

I think retail will open first. Easier to keep some distance when clothes shopping.
Maybe restaurants next (as space can be kept between tables).

Then leisure and pubs last. Pubs can be one of the hardest to keep distance in and really encourages groups of friends to meet up. Theatres and theme parks are probably similar risk levels to each other, although as outdoors at theme parks it might be a little easier.

Theme parks closed at a similar sort of time to pubs & restaurants in Britain, so that might give us an indicator as to when they'll reopen.

I doubt we'll see the park open until at least late June/early July. Seeing as though theatres across the country are most likely to be closed until then, it would be likely that theme parks will follow the same time scale.

Just had the email from ATR telling me to move my booking for the end of the month due to Covid. Moved with no extra cost any time throughout the year and can rearrange again if needed.

I’d say handled very well honestly. 10/10 Merlin, 10/10

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just had the email from ATR telling me to move my booking for the end of the month due to Covid. Moved with no extra cost any time throughout the year and can rearrange again if needed.

I’d say handled very well honestly. 10/10 Merlin, 10/10

If it's hotel bookings it's not merlin handling it but the mostly furloughed HolodayExtras team.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

If it's hotel bookings it's not merlin handling it but the mostly furloughed HolodayExtras team.

55d931f7b10033d02b4751232a4e641a.jpg

That was the email, either way. Handled very well and professionally. Can’t complain.

55d931f7b10033d02b4751232a4e641a.jpg

That was the email, either way. Handled very well and professionally. Can’t complain.

Yep it was handled well, I wonder however how well merlin would handle it if they had to deal with it...

More dangerous sat in a small theatre seat for 2 hours than walking ar

fireworks Saturday then. Get your moneys worth :)
Can only work around time I’ve booked off work a year in advance because yknow...work are not being lenient with it at all.

Have put one of the three choice dates down for the Oktoberfest though

More dangerous sat in a small theatre seat for 2 hours than walking ar

But when you stop walk and join a ride queue or sit on a ride it become basically the same as the theatre. The fact the show is for two hours doesn't make a huge difference, if someone is going to sneeze over you it could happen in the five minutes you are near them on a ride.

Basically all leisure (pubs, theme parks, theatres, cinemas) encourages groups to meet up in close proximity and I don't see them returning to normal until at least July, maybe longer.
We had theatre tickets for last week that have been rescheduled to September, so I am hoping it will be resolved by then.

But when you stop walk and join a ride queue or sit on a ride it become basically the same as the theatre. The fact the show is for two hours doesn't make a huge difference, if someone is going to sneeze over you it could happen in the five minutes you are near them on a ride.

Basically all leisure (pubs, theme parks, theatres, cinemas) encourages groups to meet up in close proximity and I don't see them returning to normal until at least July, maybe longer.
We had theatre tickets for last week that have been rescheduled to September, so I am hoping it will be resolved by then.
If anything it could be argued that in certain conditions a ride could be worse as it could spread the sneeze from say front row to everyone else...

:weary: Thought I’d deleted that bit of the post before quoting USLShadow
Thought it through as typing and yeah it’s more infectious to be walking about spreading it all day than just sat in one place.

I Need to think things through more often before typing in future :confused:

I think it will be interesting to see at the end of the year the visitor figures. I’m going to guess it will be just like 2015/16 low figures but out of their hands.
They will lose the important school trip season and most of the summer holiday market. Even then it might seem busy when it first reopens due to people wanting to go after so long, but then you’ll see have people very unsure .

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.