• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2020: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Sorry to change topic (I know very little about technical stuff haha) but now that it's been confirmed that theme parks won't open til July sort of time, what do we think will happen with season passes?

quite possibly no one knows yet. Merlin with be kind and move the passes to next year due to having to prebook to get in. The other thing that could happen is the passes are unfrozen and then you need to preorder tickets.

I'm referring to the Alton Towers specific passes :) so fingers crossed they'll be moved to next year or a partial refund will be offered. With them being season passes, it surely wouldn't work if they carried months over.

I'm referring to the Alton Towers specific passes :) so fingers crossed they'll be moved to next year or a partial refund will be offered. With them being season passes, it surely wouldn't work if they carried months over.

no way they would refund. They will just add the months onto next year so you’ll have a pass for x amount of months the park has been shut.

no way they would refund. They will just add the months onto next year so you’ll have a pass for x amount of months the park has been shut.
I suspect the reason they say "contact us" for attraction specific passes is because they want to try begging people to move passes to next year but will refund if that's not suitable for whatever reason.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

If they can try and avoid the refund by god they will. Same with the hotel bookings they kinda know now they don’t think they can do any events this year. But they won’t announce it till a few weeks before hand to avoid people cancelling bookings. Obviously moving the booking is better suiting for them.

If you insist I imagine they will refund.
Social media and bad press is very covid sensitive.
Push and they will pay.
While they are still solvent of course.

They could consider doing a discount for next year's pass. The more of the season they're closed this year the more of a discount they'll give for next year. That would make more business sense than a refund.

At the moment companies really want to hold onto their cash, and who can blame them.

It's a tricky one, 'cause really, there's no way these closures can be blamed on Merlin, at all - it's of course through no fault of their own that people haven't been able to use their passes. So why should they look at refunds or extensions? I have a National Trust membership, and at the moment they're not looking to extend or refund memberships due to the time their properties have been closed.

But... it's not exactly great customer service to do neither.

Heide Park have this to say about 2020 season passes. This may be a guide to what UK Merlin parks do to:

I have a 2020 season pass, what are my options?

As our attraction is closed, we will be extending all 2020 season passes bpught before March 17 2020 to account for the period of time that our attractions are closed. We’ll be taking care of this for you, so there’s no need to get in touch with our customer service team. Your existing passes will be automatically extended in our ticketing system – so once we reopen, your 2020 season pass reprinted.

The number days added to your 2020 season pass will be based on the duration of the closures from March 28 2020 (the plannsed season start). For example:

We will add 30 days if our park remains closed for 30 days.

The exclusion dates of the 2021 season pass then also apply to the 2020 season pass.

Heide Park have this to say about 2020 season passes. This may be a guide to what UK Merlin parks do to:
Possibly but the non UK RTPs do seem to have more independence with some matters then the UK ones.

I'm pretty sure that Merlin/AT would refund you if you really wanted to get a refund.

In theory, a person could have bought the pass with the view to using it for this season only. Maybe said person could be working/studying abroad next year or any number of logical reasons why an extension into next season would be of absolutely no use. A threat of legal action as you have not been able to use the pass that you've paid for in the time-frame that you bought it for would I think bring about the desired results. You'd hope that you wouldn't need to threaten litigation before they offered you a refund though.

It's a tricky one, 'cause really, there's no way these closures can be blamed on Merlin, at all - it's of course through no fault of their own that people haven't been able to use their passes. So why should they look at refunds or extensions? I have a National Trust membership, and at the moment they're not looking to extend or refund memberships due to the time their properties have been closed.

But... it's not exactly great customer service to do neither.

National Trust have offered a 3 month payment break to be used at the moment if you pay by direct debit. I'm currently taking advantage of it. You have to email them and then they'll email back to confirm it. I believe I had an email from them which took me to an official page with the relevant email address to contact. Not sure what's available if you've paid up front as for some reason I went direct debit this year (must have been an offer for going direct debit or something).

National Trust have offered a 3 month payment break to be used at the moment if you pay by direct debit. I'm currently taking advantage of it. You have to email them and then they'll email back to confirm it. I believe I had an email from them which took me to an official page with the relevant email address to contact. Not sure what's available if you've paid up front as for some reason I went direct debit this year (must have been an offer for going direct debit or something).
They’ve got a page now, type in number and postcode and they’ll apply it. They were forced into though by negative posts on socials and rightly so, they gave in to public pressure.
https://secure.nationaltrust.org.uk/discount/annual
https://secure.nationaltrust.org.uk/payment-break/monthly-direct-debit

I opted to continue to pay for my national trust and not take the break. These charities need all the funding they can get at the moment given no one is spending in the properties. As for Merlin.... If me not getting a refund means Alton stays in business so I can visit it next year then I'd rather not get my money back.

Same with holiday companies, get a credit note rather than refund so the companies can stay in business.

I opted to continue to pay for my national trust and not take the break. These charities need all the funding they can get at the moment given no one is spending in the properties. As for Merlin.... If me not getting a refund means Alton stays in business so I can visit it next year then I'd rather not get my money back.

Same with holiday companies, get a credit note rather than refund so the companies can stay in business.
Unfortunately the logic of bank runs is possibly going to take effect with a few companies.

Edit: runs not rules

Last edited:

I've thought this way too but my pass expired 3 days before lockdown so I'm not paying anything anyway. Genuine question though: when everything Merlin opens again, will you not claim passholder discount on purchases or free parking to help with the recovery of the attractions?

I've thought this way too but my pass expired 3 days before lockdown so I'm not paying anything anyway. Genuine question though: when everything Merlin opens again, will you not claim passholder discount on purchases or free parking to help with the recovery of the attractions?

But in order to get those discounts, free parking etc you have to buy the product first which gives you access to it. So you are helping the recovery.

Not helping the recovery would be not buying the pass full stop / not visiting.

It's not fair to be guilt tripped out of getting your money back for a service that has not been provided.

Look at the airlines. I've had £50 flights cancelled which isn't a problem, happy to exchange for vouchers. But people are being conned out of very expensive holidays.

A very expensive holiday is a different matter and using the word conned I think is a bit unfair. No one is conning anyone and the service would have been provided if it were not for this ruddy virus.

The last time there was a global pandemic was over 100 years ago. No one was prepared for this. Holiday companies in many cases pay upfront themselves for flights and hotels, then over the course of the year from bookings they reclaim their money back so its not a clear cut case of people getting a refund the same day unfortunately. Plus, hundreds of thousands of people are trying to get in touch with these companies to ask for refunds or credit notes so the customer support teams cannot cope.

People who want refunds are getting them but it may take up to 90 days in some cases to get the money back. I have flights booked myself in June with Easyjet but im not chasing them for my money back at the moment, i'll wait for them to contact me and see what happens, but I dont feel conned in any way!

Some travel companies are putting heavy pressure on customers to accept credit notes, saying they (the credit notes) are abta covered.
They are not abta covered.
That, in particular, is a con.
Lots of companies are doing it, but it isnt right, or legal.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.