• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2020: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
I don’t think you’d be able to operate Blackpool tower, most of Warwick castle, discovery centres, shrek and possibly London eye, dungeons and some sealife centers.
Interesting, are we just talking UK?

Some of Merlin’s international sites have opened up and for example Australia has got everything open again (Sealife, Madame Tussaud’s, LDC, Tower Eye etc)

Obviously the other sites will be watching what happens to those that are open but unless some government rules stop them here I can’t see anything will stay shut unless it’s extremely hard to implement changes

@ringo I think some of the smaller Dungeons would be tricky - York in particular would be a challenge. Anything where you have to be in a lift, capsule/pod or any other confined space.

Maybe they'll find a way, as you suggest - there is precedent, I guess it depends on the legislation in place at the time.

@ringo I think some of the smaller Dungeons would be tricky - York in particular would be a challenge. Anything where you have to be in a lift, capsule/pod or any other confined space.

Maybe they'll find a way, as you suggest - there is precedent, I guess it depends on the legislation in place at the time.

This is my kinda way of thinking. With social distancing In place it’s impossible to open attractions that rely on getting guests to go in a lift to reach it. I think unlike other countries where they have been able to open already, we are still just easing lockdown and still at 2m rule. So anything that involves a lift is out the question. Discovery centres are basically big indoor play areas so they will have to stay shut. I think merlin will feel the pinch again come October when the theme parks shut and they still struggle to open all the midways.

This is my kinda way of thinking. With social distancing In place it’s impossible to open attractions that rely on getting guests to go in a lift to reach it. I think unlike other countries where they have been able to open already, we are still just easing lockdown and still at 2m rule. So anything that involves a lift is out the question. Discovery centres are basically big indoor play areas so they will have to stay shut. I think merlin will feel the pinch again come October when the theme parks shut and they still struggle to open all the midways.
With regards to lifts, I visited Ikea on Friday (completely dead, unlike the madness reported on opening day...) - this store has a multistory car park, and there wasn't actually parking permitted on the ground floor as it had been given over to a cattle pen queue. So, anyone with bulky purchases had to use the lifts... and it was fine. There was a maximum limit of four household groups per lift - they're big lifts, but no reason you couldn't do similar with smaller lifts, just reducing the capacity further.

As for October when the theme parks shut... I wouldn't be surprised if the parks weren't at least considering extending their seasons, to make up losses.

Personally I think the recession will be short lived. Once this virus has gone people will be desperate for fun, bookings for holidays, theme parks, days out etc will go through the roof. Alton may see it's busiest days in history once normality is restored. I think business which have laid off staff will be quickly recruiting again.

With regards to lifts, I visited Ikea on Friday (completely dead, unlike the madness reported on opening day...) - this store has a multistory car park, and there wasn't actually parking permitted on the ground floor as it had been given over to a cattle pen queue. So, anyone with bulky purchases had to use the lifts... and it was fine. There was a maximum limit of four household groups per lift - they're big lifts, but no reason you couldn't do similar with smaller lifts, just reducing the capacity further.

As for October when the theme parks shut... I wouldn't be surprised if the parks weren't at least considering extending their seasons, to make up losses.
I was thinking about reduced capacity but surely that wouldn’t be worthwhile could you imagine what the throughput would be or how long it will take to get people down. In regards to parks opening past October I still can’t see it being possible or viable. With no events and typical cold weather apart from enthusiasts who would want to go.

I think all these potential decisions such as extending seasons, amending opening hours, cutting back next year etc etc will all rest heavily on the demand the park gets over the summer.

Until the place opens it is such an unknown as to how many people really want to go to a theme park at the moment. It could be high demand - in which case great, they could look at options such as opening weekends in November or expanding the Christmas event to re-coup some lost earnings. Or the place could be a ghost town, in which case they probably won't bother.

People have mentioned parallels with the current situation and the 2016 post Smiler incident cost cutting. Whilst the driving factor behind these is very different, the outcome for the business is similar.

In 2016 they slashed costs because their forecasts told them guest numbers would be down. Therefore they wanted to reduce operating costs to hold profit margins as much as they could. The same could be true of 2021 - if attendance demand this year is low and their forecasting/research suggests it will be lower next year too - then cuts are very likely to come.

I would say it all comes down to what happens between July and October.

I think all these potential decisions such as extending seasons, amending opening hours, cutting back next year etc etc will all rest heavily on the demand the park gets over the summer.

Until the place opens it is such an unknown as to how many people really want to go to a theme park at the moment. It could be high demand - in which case great, they could look at options such as opening weekends in November or expanding the Christmas event to re-coup some lost earnings. Or the place could be a ghost town, in which case they probably won't bother.

People have mentioned parallels with the current situation and the 2016 post Smiler incident cost cutting. Whilst the driving factor behind these is very different, the outcome for the business is similar.

In 2016 they slashed costs because their forecasts told them guest numbers would be down. Therefore they wanted to reduce operating costs to hold profit margins as much as they could. The same could be true of 2021 - if attendance demand this year is low and their forecasting/research suggests it will be lower next year too - then cuts are very likely to come.

I would say it all comes down to what happens between July and October.

you’ll definitely see a high demand due to limited capacity during July and August and weekends in September but that’s it. By September most people will be back in school and work. You’ll still need to prebook so spontaneous trips are out the question. So apart from people who work from home or retired who else would go?.

You’ll still need to prebook so spontaneous trips are out the question.
I imagine that once they've gauged attendance, if there are days where they predict low admissions, they'll waive the pre-booking rule. After all, it's not like having a cap on admissions is a new thing, hence they need the pre-booking - it's just that the cap is now far lower, and so they need to avoid sell-out situations.

Once they get a feel for things, on days where forecast figures are significantly below capacity, I'm sure they'll be flexible on pre-booking.

you’ll definitely see a high demand due to limited capacity during July and August and weekends in September but that’s it. By September most people will be back in school and work. You’ll still need to prebook so spontaneous trips are out the question. So apart from people who work from home or retired who else would go?.

All those people who work weekends!
And it is simply too soon to tell what is going to happen by September, if it is quieter, they may scrap weekday booking.
Many schools will only be taking half of pupils each day, so demand may be greater.

All those people who work weekends!
And it is simply too soon to tell what is going to happen by September, if it is quieter, they may scrap weekday booking.
Many schools will only be taking half of pupils each day, so demand may be greater.
I can only see the demand for September onwards being the same as a usual September. But I really can’t see why they would risk extending the season past October. That’s a big risk to take.

Agreed, it's a bit hard to swallow the berating over the toilet situation. I mean, what could they do?

As you say, the first few months of not being open will hit them hard.

Everywhere you go you see inadequate social distancing measures. Whether it be on the bud, train, shop of workplace. We're just not cut out for it with the way infrastructure is designed.

So, what could they do? Building new toilet blocks would require planning permission and new plumbing.

I think they're doing as well as anybody else is

Just the basics of implementing social distancing measures in a toilet would be closing every other urinal. Not done.

Looking at the entrance toilet all that's needed is a physical barrier between the male and female entrances along that entrance 'tunnel'. Considering every supermarket in that land was able to erect perfectly shaped and fitted screening around every till within a week of lockdown I don't see why that would be too much of a stretch for the might of Merlin to achieve in the time they've had.

Then capacity manages itself and the queue is actually socially distant. Simple. It's really not too tricky, not prohibitively expensive, and the equivalent of what has been done all over the land for places who've been open.

Instead they've done less than the obvious and reasonable minimum. Why shouldn't that be called out?

Some essential places can not function with meaningful social distancing so it's a case of just making do as best as is possible, but this is not one of those places.

I can only see the demand for September onwards being the same as a usual September. But I really can’t see why they would risk extending the season past October. That’s a big risk to take.

Other scenarios to take into account are potential demand from people who can't or don't want to visit overseas parks. Many people are cancelling their 2020 trips to Florida, Paris etc and pusing them back to 2021. They may well decide to take the kids to Alton Towers for the day as an alternative.

Weekday wise - many people are also going to have annual leave 'stored up' from lockdown and might well need to use days up, combined with less people going abroad - again a day out at a theme park could well be an suitable alternative.

Only time will tell what people want to do.

Are they still accepting the 2-4-1 offers? Surely if they stopped accepting them that could impact slightly the demand. Not thinking it will high but I could be wrong but I thought that’s what most people use.

Are they still accepting the 2-4-1 offers? Surely if they stopped accepting them that could impact slightly the demand. Not thinking it will high but I could be wrong but I thought that’s what most people use.

Never not used 2 for1. However only go once a year so wouldn't mind having to pay full price for this year.

A lot of the 2 for 1 vouchers can be used online as they have online codes, so imagine if they are still active then you are fine to book using one. But of course you won’t be able to use one in person as you’ll have to pre book.

Oh, I did not know that! That's useful to know. Thanks. :) As I said though if we had to pay full price, then because of everything that has been happening, I think that would only be fair. But it would definitely stop families attending. I always find it interesting all the weird and wonderful vouchers staff get given at the kiosks. Most people don't even cut them out! o_O

Oh, I did not know that! That's useful to know. Thanks. :) As I said though if we had to pay full price, then because of everything that has been happening, I think that would only be fair. But it would definitely stop families attending. I always find it interesting all the weird and wonderful vouchers staff get given at the kiosks. Most people don't even cut them out! o_O
A fact Kellogg's made fun off in an advert once.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Online tickets are £34 per adult and £28.50 per child. So that’s the ‘maximum’ you need to pay for prebooking.

Although as already said I imagine 241’s will be accepted online with codes too.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.