• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2020: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
I wouldn't worry. Airlines are allways moaning that they don't have enough money. Maybe if they charged more that a tenner for a flight, they might not be in this position.

The likes of BA & Virgin charge considerably more than £10 for a flight, even in Economy. On long-haul when you add on their "YQ surcharge" [that replaced the fuel surcharge when oil prices dropped - but is oddly the same amount as the fuel surcharge, but is now called a "carrier imposed surcharge"].

I notice Center Parcs have updated their website within the last half an hour or so... they are "now considering their position", but the UK Villages remain open for todays arrivals. Updated expected by 5pm tomorrow. Will be shocked if they don't close.

Will be equally shocked if Merlin try to open Towers on Saturday - given the company that they "are only second to" have imposed a 14-day shutdown.

Gotta be honest with you, if they open Towers on Saturday I'm probably going and gonna have a nice walk around the ruins and gardens. Might even go on a couple of rides but keep a safe distance away from others in the queue. Will wash my hands as regularly as needed. As soon as people stop filling up the supermarkets every day and start being sensible then I will be more inclined to seriously limit my leisure activities. My job means that I am surrounded by the public 5 days a week anyway so having one extra day where I will be around people to some extent is not going to seriously increase the chances of me contracting the virus or passing it on to someone else. Of course, it is entirely possible that it will not be opened anyway.

Gotta be honest with you, if they open Towers on Saturday I'm probably going and gonna have a nice walk around the ruins and gardens. Might even go on a couple of rides but keep a safe distance away from others in the queue. Will wash my hands as regularly as needed. As soon as people stop filling up the supermarkets every day and start being sensible then I will be more inclined to seriously limit my leisure activities. My job means that I am surrounded by the public 5 days a week anyway so having one extra day where I will be around people to some extent is not going to seriously increase the chances of me contracting the virus or passing it on to someone else. Of course, it is entirely possible that it will not be opened anyway.
Exactly what I'm thinking. I'm more likely to catch something at work than in the vast open spaces of Alton Towers.

Very tempted to go if it's open, whilst of course taking precautions.

It took roughly one week for New York to entirely shut down... Saturday is a very very long time away under the current circumstances.

The UK theatre industry completely closed in the space of two hours this evening. They are unlikely to be the last industry in that situation this week.

Exactly what I'm thinking. I'm more likely to catch something at work than in the vast open spaces of Alton Towers.

Very tempted to go if it's open, whilst of course taking precautions.
The point of this is to stop the spread. I work with the public 5 days a week, and I am not going to the resort this weekend because the government have said non essential social gatherings should stop.

I don’t care if I get it as I’ll probably be fine, but I do care if I pass it to somebody who won’t be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This thread has suddenly become an example of both why were in this situation globally, and why the government needs to take much stricter action about public gatherings.

Asking people to carry out social distancing is as much for preventing other people from catching the virus if you are already a carrier as it is for your own safety.

I agree. The government need to ban people from doing these things if that's what they actually want. Take the choice away from people. I will add though that the over 70s and vulnerable have also been advised to self-isolate so in theory even if I was to catch it then I shouldn't be able to pass it onto them as I shouldn't be able to get anywhere near to them from now on. If the vulnerable aren't going to follow the advice in the first place then it makes the whole exercise pretty pointless. I can guarantee that I'll see the more vulnerable members of society mixing with the general populace tomorrow as if they havn't even heard of Covid-19.

I agree. The government need to ban people from doing these things if that's what they actually want. Take the choice away from people. I will add though that the over 70s and vulnerable have also been advised to self-isolate so in theory even if I was to catch it then I shouldn't be able to pass it onto them as I shouldn't be able to get anywhere near to them from now on. If the vulnerable aren't going to follow the advice in the first place then it makes the whole exercise pretty pointless. I can guarantee that I'll see the more vulnerable members of society mixing with the general populace tomorrow as if they havn't even heard of Covid-19.
But you don’t need to get near them. If you carry it and somebody you’re near goes near somebody else, who then sees their mum, who then visits the pharmacy that Irene, 86 from Chelmsford gets her prescription from, then selfishness of wanting to unnecessarily visit a dark ride opening suddenly becomes the cause of a little old lady dying.

Depends how responsible people are really. If someone's displaying all the symptoms and walks around Forbidden Valley coughing on everything then they should be tasered.

If someone honestly believes they are in good health and takes a stroll around the gardens whilst regularly sanitising and respecting the personal space of others, is it much different than taking the dog for a walk?

I probably won't take the risk but if the parks are open then people will visit.

I can guarantee that I'll see the more vulnerable members of society mixing with the general populace tomorrow as if they havn't even heard of Covid-19.

Because they will also believe that so long other people are coughing into a tissue and they are washing their hands for 20 seconds everything will be A-OK.

That was the correct advice a few weeks ago, things have moved on since then.

But you don’t need to get near them. If you carry it and somebody you’re near goes near somebody else, who then sees their mum, who then visits the pharmacy that Irene, 86 from Chelmsford gets her prescription from, then selfishness of wanting to unnecessarily visit a dark ride opening suddenly becomes the cause of a little old lady dying.

That would be the fault of the person visiting the mum. That person should be taking responsibility for who they do and don't visit.

Depends how responsible people are really. If someone's displaying all the symptoms and walks around Forbidden Valley coughing on everything then they should be tasered.

If someone honestly believes they are in good health and takes a stroll around the gardens whilst regularly sanitising and respecting the personal space of others, is it much different than taking the dog for a walk?

I probably won't take the risk but if the parks are open then people will visit.
I'm more worried about the tight spaces like queue lines and the monorail. Plus I believe you can have the virus for two weeks without showing symptoms, so just because everyone going thinks they're in good health doesn't mean they won't spread the virus.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.