• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2020: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Ok I'm analyzing both and see what we think.
The smiler
Benefits:
- inversions
-air time
-hang time
Drawbacks:
- rough towards end
Nemesis
Benefits:
- force
- intensity
- speed
- smooth
Drawbacks:
- short

Oops. I seem to of found more benefits for nemmy. Oh well I already knew it was good anyway so no disappointment to me

Let’s face it. We all spend most of our time getting excited over products that are mainly aimed at children through to young adults. The Nemmy fans and Smiler fans are embarrassing together, let’s be proud!
Lets be proud to be geeks...

but we all know deep down

if you are not wearing this you are wrong
ssrco,unisex_tshirt,womens,101010:01c5ca27c6,front,square_product,x600-bg,f8f8f8.u3.jpg
:D

That is something I can't agree with. Nemesis logo is only behind galactica
Somebody set up a rank the logo’s thread. We’ve got to that point in our extended closed season! I love Nemmy’s old logo a lot but the newer one just doesn’t fit the theme at all. Smiler’s got a great logo and I think it is the t-shirt I see the most.

[mention]bluesonichd [/mention] I can’t even tell if you genuinely remember me or not because you’re such a troll...

Ok I'm analyzing both and see what we think.
The smiler
Benefits:
- inversions
-air time
-hang time
Drawbacks:
- rough towards end
Nemesis
Benefits:
- force
- intensity
- speed
- smooth
Drawbacks:
- short

Oops. I seem to of found more benefits for nemmy. Oh well I already knew it was good anyway so no disappointment to me
The Smiler is faster than Nemesis according to the RCDB

Apparently the reason why Alton Towers did the whole "Wicker Man Winter" thing last off-season is because Wicker Man was apparently the park's highest rated ride in feedback surveys done in 2018. Take from that what you will.

Also, amongst people I know, a lot of people don't seem to get the enthusiast hype for Nemesis. I'd personally guess that the guest favourites among non-enthusiasts are The Smiler and Wicker Man, as they're both immensely popular and they're the ones that seem to get the most praise among people I talk to.

But as people have said, this will vary from person to person! My personal favourite Alton Towers ride is probably still Nemesis, but I must admit that I've being growing more and more undecided between it and Wicker Man as of late.

Last edited:
I would throw Oblivion into the mix for popularity in the general population. It gets referenced in popular culture an awful lot more then most of the other coasters (if you don't include references to The Smiler crash).

I would throw Oblivion into the mix for popularity in the general population. It gets referenced in popular culture an awful lot more then most of the other coasters (if you don't include references to The Smiler crash).
See, I'd almost argue the opposite. The last couple of times I've been to Alton Towers, Oblivion has barely had any wait at all; a memorable one for me was on Wicker Man's opening weekend, when The Smiler's queue was over an hour long and spilling out of the pit, while Oblivion was practically walk-on. I know capacity contributes to an extent, but from my observations, The Smiler had considerably more people waiting for it than Oblivion. Probably at least 10-20 times more people on the day I'm referring to.

See, I'd almost argue the opposite. The last couple of times I've been to Alton Towers, Oblivion has barely had any wait at all; a memorable one for me was on Wicker Man's opening weekend, when The Smiler's queue was over an hour long and spilling out of the pit, while Oblivion was practically walk-on. I know capacity contributes to an extent, but from my observations, The Smiler had considerably more people waiting for it than Oblivion. Probably at least 10-20 times more people on the day I'm referring to.
The smiler and wicker man are the most popular. Then I'd argue spinball as it gets long queues consistently. I know throughput is a factor but still spinball always pulls in the crowds

The smiler and wicker man are the most popular. Then I'd argue spinball as it gets long queues consistently. I know throughput is a factor but still spinball always pulls in the crowds
Wicker Man and Spinball are the closest big coasters to Towers Street (park entrance), so that's probably a factor.

Capacity and age have a lot to do with that. Oblivion is a lot older and very much a one trick ride, there are bigger and better versions now. Smiler still has the world record on inversions and lower capacity.

40th anniversary merchandise has been added to the online shop.

Gotta say it’s pretty disappointing. Just the new logo slapped on bog standard mugs, notepads and t-shirts.

Thorpe Park did some good looking merchandise for their 40th using old logos etc. Towers should have done the same.

ASGMXje.jpg

Shop on line they say ...
EUH406OWAAABgWX

It’s not like they are busy .. how hard is it to remove the security tag :rolleyes:

Stuck with an unwearable T-shirt now.
Not that there’s anywhere to go at the min :(

Get them to send you a free replacement and then take this one to your local shop and get them to take the tag off for you with their magnet thing. You just won yourself a free T-shirt ;)

Get them to send you a free replacement and then take this one to your local shop and get them to take the tag off for you with their magnet thing. You just won yourself a free T-shirt ;)
Well 8 days after contacting them and them asking for my phone number , which they never rang , within mins of me posting my last comment on here they tweet this message to me :tinfoil:
3zErodR_d.jpg

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.