• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2020: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
It appears changes have been made to hotel booking availability, perhaps in anticipation of reduced demand in 2020.

Stargazing Pods are no longer available to book on any date in the 2020 season, suggesting they will be closed for the whole season.

This is on top of the already planned closure of the Enchanted Village Lodges for the whole of September and non-Scarefest dates in October.
Chessington already announced that their Explorer Glamping would remain closed this year so I wouldn't be surprised if Towers are doing the same. Chessington said guests booked into Glamping would be upgraded to one of the hotels at no extra charge.

Judging by the reception among most enthusiasts last season, I’m also not sure the Stargazing Pods will necessarily be missed!

Haha. You loved them.

Good riddance. They looked crap then and they look worse now As predicted by many. .

Honestly makes me wonder what the average occupancy rate was for those sheds. I can't imagine it being anywhere near 50% at any one time. But I'd like to be proven wrong.

I didn’t think they looked bad at all for what they were! Even though they weren’t themed per se, they looked nicely presented, in my opinion!

...and yet the tripe advisor reviews are generally very positive.

I think as long as you turn up knowing it is glamping then its fine, for me the bad points are that there is only one toilet block, a lack of catering and the pricing is a bit high for camping (but I've also been surprised how high fees are at some campsites where you bring your own tent). In terms of does the experience meet expectations for glamping, it probably does, but Warwick Castle probably have a better product.

They looked clean and functional, and from more budget accommodation in that style, I think that’s all that matters, really!

The stargazing pods just look so cheap. You can tell it was just a quick and cheap way for merlin to increase the accommodation amount without any effort. Shame really but it’s just like many of the things merlins done it could of been done better.

I tend to agree with you. They're not worldbeating, just a shed in a field, but that's ok, as it's pretty obvious what they're about.

They're fine for what they are
Multiple occasions I checked and splash was cheaper then the pods so they fail at that.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Who actually stays on site anyway? Surely the cheapest and best option is a local b and b
I have twice as a special treat, I'm close enough to Alton it doesn't make sense to stay overnight generally. And THORPE where it makes sense is too expensive so (insert cheapest hotel I can find) it is.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Who actually stays on site anyway? Surely the cheapest and best option is a local b and b
Yes there are b&bs and budget hotels a bit further afield and I have done all 3 types of accommodation. From my point of view, the accommodation you choose is all down to the type of stay you want, the occasion and who you're with. For example, for Scarefest with my family and a couple of my kids friends, a night in the Burton Travelodge for £45 a room is perfect. Last year was my daughter's 21st and she wanted to stay over for the fireworks and invite her grandparents. So we booked a stay in the Enchanted village - one because it was a special occasion and two, less travelling for 2 people in their late 70s.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.