• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

TBC: SW9 Speculation

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Have they even replaced the creative lead position given Bradley scuppered off to play in Escape Rooms?
Bradley Wynne left not long after Wicker Man opened and I seem to remember an advert for his position going up at the time, probably was filled back then. Condolensces whoever got the job

Oh apparently it's John Burton who joined MMM couple years ago, genuinly talented person whose greatest work so far is the appauling Walking Dead at Thorpe Park. Well let's hope they dont grind him down so much on the next project haha

Oh apparently it's John Burton who joined MMM couple years ago, genuinly talented person whose greatest work so far is the appauling Walking Dead at Thorpe Park. Well let's hope they dont grind him down so much on the next project haha

I know this is probably more just you using the opportunity to take a big at Walking Dead, but John was also behind the Dragon Slayer show at Warwick Castle last year, which was FAR superior to Walking Dead.

John is very much an enthusiast, I'm sure the older people amongst us saw some of his fan art / mock plans he designed 10 or so years back (in fact, his stuff was regularly mistaken for real stuff!). Arguably safer hands than Bradley Wynne.

I know this is probably more just you using the opportunity to take a big at Walking Dead, but John was also behind the Dragon Slayer show at Warwick Castle last year, which was FAR superior to Walking Dead.
I wasn't making comment about any individuals (other than saying John Burton was talented), just about Merlin's attitude towards controlling designs :)

Pretty sure the actors were cut after the media launch night.

But does the person chosen to direct the creative design really have that much say anymore? With Walking Dead, is that really what John Burton thinks is a good idea? I doubt it, but he was probably handed the plan and still went on camera saying the scripted 'most terrifying ride ever made' line. We still got exactly the same kind of ride as Merlin had been making for years sadly.

While Bradley Wynne seemed to love giving rides M Night Shyamalan-style backstories. (Sub Core Energy, A.C.R.E in Zufari, The Phalanx, the Boenen..) But Wicker Man's theme turned out really well in the end and was a lot more than just a naff backstory on a screen. Was this because he personally had a different vision? Or was there a change of attitude from others?

I dont know. But the way Merlin design things seems to be the way the massive movie studios direct movies these days. They will employ a director-for-hire who they know will reliably deliver what they already want, rather than a director whose allowed to have their own style or vision.

Not calling them puppet directors but who is directing becomes mostly irrelevant, in a company like this. Unless you get a real maverick who bends the rules and gets away with it, then you might have some more creativity slip in.

Last edited:
Actors were around for most of the season at Walking Dead ride.

As for what a creative lead does..they do have some say in things from the early beginnings. Sadly, a lot of decision making about what a ride will be, what theme it will have, etc comes from market research and people who don't necessarily have a creative background. What then happens is this gets passed onto the creative lead, with a set budget, and they have to make do. Sometimes it can be good (Wicker Man), but other times it's making the best out of a bad situation.

A creative lead can fight back or try and bend the rules, but that's usually not fruitful unless they can put forward a case to rubbish the market research (which is difficult as they will have little to be able to do that concretely).

problems with Walking Dead were
  • took away a family ride
  • John’s “15 out 10 on scare scale”
  • Jordan’s “world’s scariest ride”
  • gimmicks “charge your mobile from screaming” (lasted a day on just one train?)
  • lack of actors
As usual with Merlin the over the top marketing claims set this one up to fail instantly. Even dropping to new levels of “employing” an official ride tester who predictably said it was the worlds scariest ride.

Aside from Wicker Mans stupid worlds first gimmick the PR was honest to the ride and even downplayed it slightly in my opinion to which then gave you more after you’ve ridden it and sending you straight back into the queue for another go.

Last edited:
While Bradley Wynne seemed to love giving rides M Night Shyamalan-style backstories. (Sub Core Energy, A.C.R.E in Zufari, The Phalanx, the Boenen..)

He was involved in original Zufari?! Surprised anyone involved in that ride kept their job! The preshow, the onload, the offload, air gates, etc, all of which were badly planned.

Anyway back on top, I think it will be a good few years before we hear anything on SW9, guess we’ll have a couple of years of smaller rides, and family before the next SW.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Judging by the fact that SW8's planning application was submitted in May 2016 for a 2018 opening. I'd suggest that we'd likely see Planning permission go in around May next year if we're to get the next big investment in 2022. I think that a tree survey would be needed to go alongside I believe so this would be conducted towards the end of this year so that the documents are ready to be submitted.

Depends where it's going. Th13teen's planning permission went in December 2008 for a March 2010 opening. Smiler went in at a similar time in 2011.

A 2022 major investment could go in in late 2020 or early 2021, depending on what it is and the location.

That's certainly quite interesting. Towers had apparently been in contact with RMC in the early planning stages of Wicker Man, perhaps they were impressed but ultimately went with a safer option.

A coaster using the I-Box track, or even the topper track, and located on the edge of Forbidden Valley (close to Ripsaw’s former location) would be amazing :D

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.