• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2021: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
So, went yesterday which was the first visit since 2019 before the pandemic. Was really looking forward to it.
Entrance to the park was so quick and effortless so well done Alton for that. Thought all the staff were excellent on the day.
Rides were running (not rubbing) really well, Wickerman was on fire excuse the pun! Wow it was much smoother and faster than I remember. Nemesis also running great although I was saddened to see they have removed the front row queue.
Ate in Woodcutters, decent value and good sized portions. Refused to pay the stupid prices at some of the vans on “food street”.
Went in Duel and oh my, what have they done to the indoor queue!! It’s so high compared with the scenery below! Totally has spoilt the effect of the pre show. Ride seemed to have more dark sections than last time but apart from this, not much has changed.
Managed a go on Gangsta Granny. Was very enjoyable although I thought the ride cars would of had a a bit more movement (up and down tilt) not just side to side.
In terms of Covid, I thought Alton had a done a great job and we felt very safe. The regular queue line announcements helped and the majority of people kept to the chevrons in the queue lines.
Overall we had a great day, but it was much busier than we expected. Queues went up to 45 mins for the main rides. We managed 8 rides during the day but the 4pm finish was just too early. Park looked good overall. Enjoyable day!

Last edited:
Noooooooooooo!:eek:

I hope this is just a covid thing and it makes a return soon :(

I'm talking about the front row queue and not the rubbing :confused:
Yeah it's definitely just for social distancing as Rita's has also gone.
Also, I find it funny that Thirteen has a front row queue when it's never used as there's always a batching host. :p

Last edited:
Yeah it's definitely just for social distancing as Rita's has also gone.
Also, I find it funny that Thirteen has a front row queue when it's never used as the'res always a batching host. :p
Bizarrely, I’ve never seen Thirteen’s front row queue in use, even pre-COVID!

Smiler and Wicker Man seem to have foregone front row queues entirely in favour of assigned seating.

Personally, I’m surprised that there’s never been back row queues on rides. Back row often seems just as desired as front row, if not more so on certain rides (Wicker Man is one that comes to mind)!

Personally, I’m surprised that there’s never been back row queues on rides. Back row often seems just as desired as front row, if not more so on certain rides (Wicker Man is one that comes to mind)!
That will because the back rows on most of the coasters are reserved for RAP. Nemmy's back row air gate is almost always roped off on busy days due to the amount of RAP.

Does anyone think it'll be busier today due to it being open until 5 instead of 4? Trying to make a decision as to if I should bother going up

Does anyone think it'll be busier today due to it being open until 5 instead of 4? Trying to make a decision as to if I should bother going up
Not necessarily, I just think they knew they had to do something, it'll probably be as quiet as if it were 4pm.

Heads up for anyone heading to Alton Towers next week from the A50.

Not sure I follow the logic of doing this work over half term - when the roads will likely be busier in this area because of increased visitors to the park, but there you go. Also starting them at 9.30am is BANG in the middle of when the majority of cars will be heading to the park.

https://www.staffordshire-live.co.uk/news/local-news/alton-towers-jcb-route-set-5456559

Only an amateur wouldn't already be in the vicinity of Alton by 9.30 a.m anyway. :cool:;)
On later close days people tend to arrive later though, so that will probably affect a fair few guests.
(For example, I arrived at 11am on a 9pm close (Scarefest) day last year)

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.