• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2021: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
It’s just like summer holidays, hit those with kids the hardest because they are limited to the time they can take off. It stinks.

Or is it heavily discounted to fill beds and seats when the demand isn't there?

Centre Parcs is the one that's always trotted out as a rip off, but they run pretty much at capacity year round and they have an incredibly loyal repeat customer base. Their offering obviously has the value that they charge for it at peak or that wouldn't be the case, so it must be considered discounted off peak then?

They have a very healthy business as a result. If AT can emulate that it's good for them and us, unless of course you are someone used to having access at a lower price...

but that’s the point. I have been looking to book early for the 23rd October, I looked a few weeks ago and it was £46. The weekend before is £34. It’s got nothing to do with how early you book now but the fact it’s half term so they are charging more

All Saturday s have been £39 this year I think. Don’t recall seeing any £34 Saturdays since at least before the summer holidays. Yes Saturdays and half term Sundays have now gone up to £46, but a late season price rise has happened this time of year the last few seasons.

Spot the crack! :oops:

IMG_20211006_162921.jpg

IMG_20211006_162915.jpg

Any guesses when the travelers might be visiting Scarefest this year?

Uttoxeter racecourse is showing events on Friday 15th and 29th so might be one of those

Just had a look at replies to Alton Towers on Twitter. Plenty of disgruntled visitors yesterday complaining.

I seem to remember someone saying that a steak restaurant had opened up again at the hotel. Can’t see anything about it on the website? Was it just a temp thing?

I seem to remember someone saying that a steak restaurant had opened up again at the hotel. Can’t see anything about it on the website? Was it just a temp thing?

Sometimes the Emperor room (large conference room to the left of Dragon Bar) is used as a restaurant, but don't think it has for several years. Particularly since Rollercoaster Restaurant has been added.
Given they are struggling to recruit enough staff for what is open at the moment I can't see them adding more restaurant capacity.
Steaks are on the Secret Garden menu.

They are definitely struggling to recruit since I applied a while ago and got an interview but I had to turn the job down, but I must still be on their system as I've had two emails letting me know there was recruitment events I could attend and even a phone call just the other day asking if I was still interested in the job.

Couple of things from yesterday's visit:

- Stayed at Quarry Walk Park in a hot tub lodge as I'd seen it recommended on here by someone, 10 min drive away and very nice, if a tad expensive.

- Walked around loads of the local area which I've never done before. Was great to finally see the chained oak tree. Walked down the old railway line all the way to the rear of the park and then back to the Ramblers Retreat for brunch.

- There were a couple of school trips about but the park was really quiet. Was flabbergasted at the amount of jocks about, must have been at least 50% Scottish attendance. Longest we waited was 30 minutes for Galactica but everything else was no more than 15 mins.

- Was excited to get back on Wicker as it's apparently running a lot quicker this season but it was exactly the same as always tbh. Still an excellent family woodie.

- Got a back row ride on Nemesis for the first time in about 10 years which was superb. Not rough in any way whatsoever.

- Smiler was down all day which was annoying because the park was so quiet I might have actually rode it more than once.

- Funk n Fly is vile, maximum nausea with not a lot of fun factor. Looks to be the best themed of the retro squad. Roller Disco was alright, didn't get on the other two.

- Thirteen grows on me every visit, really fun family coaster and adds good value to the ride line up.

- Went massively off piste in the gardens to the point where we had to hop a disused vehicle access gate to get back in.

- Gangster Granny was a very well done dark ride but World of David Walliams looks hideously cheap and tacky in classic Merlin fashion.

- Was tempted to do the dungeons but it still bugs me that there's not a permanent boat ride there that doesn't cost a tenner.

- Extraordinary Golf is falling apart everywhere but holes 1-9 were closed for renovations so at least they're doing something. Huge chunks of the Hex tree themeing have fallen off and are laying there rotting away on the side. Managed to fix up some of it, slotted in like Lego.

- Love the coaster themed Pumpkins on Towers Street. But we couldn't work out what ride the dark green one was meant to be? Hex?

Shame we missed Scarefest by a few days but this was the only date we could do unfortunately. Looks like a good one this year. Had a great day, nice and chilled.

Despite closing at 5pm we could have easily stayed another few hours. Mind boggling that 4pm closures exist.

- Stayed at Quarry Walk Park in a hot tub lodge as I'd seen it recommended on here by someone, 10 min drive away and very nice, if a tad expensive.

- Walked around loads of the local area which I've never done before. Was great to finally see the chained oak tree. Walked down the old railway line all the way to the rear of the park and then back to the Ramblers Retreat for brunch.

- There were a couple of school trips about but the park was really quiet. Was flabbergasted at the amount of jocks about, must have been at least 50% Scottish attendance. Longest we waited was 30 minutes for Galactica but everything else was no more than 15 mins.

- Was excited to get back on Wicker as it's apparently running a lot quicker this season but it was exactly the same as always tbh. Still an excellent family woodie.

- Got a back row ride on Nemesis for the first time in about 10 years which was superb. Not rough in any way whatsoever.

- Smiler was down all day which was annoying because the park was so quiet I might have actually rode it more than once.

- Funk n Fly is vile, maximum nausea with not a lot of fun factor. Looks to be the best themed of the retro squad. Roller Disco was alright, didn't get on the other two.

- Thirteen grows on me every visit, really fun family coaster and adds good value to the ride line up.

- Went massively off piste in the gardens to the point where we had to hop a disused vehicle access gate to get back in.

- Gangster Granny was a very well done dark ride but World of David Walliams looks hideously cheap and tacky in classic Merlin fashion.

- Was tempted to do the dungeons but it still bugs me that there's not a permanent boat ride there that doesn't cost a tenner.

- Extraordinary Golf is falling apart everywhere but holes 1-9 were closed for renovations so at least they're doing something. Huge chunks of the Hex tree themeing have fallen off and are laying there rotting away on the side. Managed to fix up some of it, slotted in like Lego.

- Love the coaster themed Pumpkins on Towers Street. But we couldn't work out what ride the dark green one was meant to be? Hex?

Shame we missed Scarefest by a few days but this was the only date we could do unfortunately. Looks like a good one this year. Had a great day, nice and chilled.

Despite closing at 5pm we could have easily stayed another few hours. Mind boggling that 4pm closures exist.
The pumpkins, from left to right are: Oblivion, Wicker Man, Galactica, The Smiler, Rita, Nemesis, TH13TEEN. I assume you might mean the Galactica one, it's face is supposed to be the portal.

As a crazy golf aficionado I'm glad to hear they're finally sorting this out; it looked a real mess last time I did it, it badly needs sprucing up. I kind of figured that with it being outside of the main park and free for hotel guests they just didn't care about it looking good any more. I don't even mind the 'throwback' theming, just needs to be maintained properly.

Extraordinary Golf is falling apart everywhere but holes 1-9 were closed for renovations so at least they're doing something. Huge chunks of the Hex tree themeing have fallen off and are laying there rotting away on the side. Managed to fix up some of it, slotted in like Lego.
Sad to hear but glad they've started to clean it up. I've been aware it's been out of date an in need of a refresh so hopefully some work is a good sign of that taking place.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.