• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2022: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Yeah some interesting takes here particularly when Oktoberfest is one of the best events they do! Mardi Gras I think it ok, but the Oktoberfest atmosphere is fab! (Probs be ruined by the inevitable 4pm closures this year)

Want The ice Skating show an indoor show? Because from what I've gathered here, that was a well loved show by many? So, what excuse is there to have another indoor stage show?

The ice show was in a Big Top style tent where Big Fun Showtime (and its toilet block) is now. As it existed for over 20 years it probably could be considered permanent. There was also the indoor show in what is now the 4D cinema and for a while the Mutiny Bay show.

I think there is scope for all of them to exist. Have seasonal entertainment on the lawns, the kids show (used to be Tweenies/Barney in Cred St, now the CBeebies shows in Big Fun arena) and there should be a more family / older kids show in the 4D cinema whether it is a 4D show or live performance doesn't matter I think.

That way there is timed entertainment in the 4D cinema theatre, drop-in entertainment on the lawns and Big Fun Showtime.

The stage on the lawns is fine. It complements the events well and personally I hope we see a permanent stage there eventually. As already discussed it is to the side and does not obstruct the view of the Towers.

The return of more events is great and I hope the next step for the entertainments team is to introduce more shows and indoor entertainment. I would love to see the ice show return, however that does come at a price. Perhaps start with a seasonal show during peak times and go from there.

A lot of theme parks have at least one big indoor production, there is a gap at Towers for this.

I think there is some confusion here between shows and events.

Shows are at set times for a set length, Alton Towers has none of these outside of CBeebies Land. They really should have at least one major show in the park that runs all season.

Events take place for roughly a month during part of the season, and incorporate live entertainment (and this may include smaller shows), additional park theming/decoration as well as food and drink that fits in with the event. Someone may spend none of their day, an hour of their day, or even all of their day enjoying what the event has to offer.
I do understand the distinction between shows and events. I agree that there should be a permanent year round show in a particular venue, that's a point I've made many times previously. However I was also suggesting separately (but not making this clear I will admit) that there should also be a good permanent place to host shows for specific events, I like the stage on the lawns but I am not sure if it should be a permanent fixture if a different outdoor venue can be built.

I still think the stage Is an eyesore, no matter how many times I try to look at it positively. Yes, the park needs a stage, but not on the Lawn! Try a new stage when the CBeebies lands IP expires. Add an indoor stage there with some for the whole family to enjoy.

I quite like the stage and seating where it is offset on the lawn. You can chill and have something to eat for a bit whilst looking at the lake and Towers, but also have the option to look/listen to what's going on on the stage.

The stage is fine and out of the way. Might be nice to see it looking less temporary but that's wishful thinking.

Not entirely sure they could block the sightlines of the house anyway under planning restrictions?

I think it might be worth installing a new sheltered show venue when Spinball comes to the end of its lifespan and have a new stage with better advertised showtimes for seasonal events with a restaurant/F&B outlets and then use any remaining space for another CBeebies attraction. Have the venue be large and versatile enough that you could also host ice shows or circus acts within the venue and create a wider variety of entertainment on park other than character shows and vocalists.

Spinball wouldn't be as popular as it is if it weren't for its location and having a dedicated show building would generate more interest in the shows plus they wouldn't have to worry about foot traffic destroying the front lawns like last season, they wouldn't get away with building a new ride with as high throughput for the front of the park as Spinball does now, whilst a show venue would also mitigate the rush to other queues (particularly Smiler) in the morning and at park close.

The only thing the stage is blocking the view of is the rotting abandoned coffee shop behind it.

The increased events (Oktoberfest and MardiGras especially) are the best thing Tower have done in years and add to the days of many more visitors than a stage show hidden away in Walliams would which would lets be honest be watched by a very small amount of visitors.

Also entertainment and food on grass area at bottom of Towers Street... shocking....
1657025107789.png

Last edited:
The only thing the stage is blocking the view of is the rotting abandoned coffee shop behind it.

The increased events (Oktoberfest and MardiGras especially) are the best thing Tower have done in years and add to the days of many more visitors than a stage show hidden away in Walliams would which would lets be honest be watched by a very small amount of visitors.

Also entertainment and food on grass area at bottom of Towers Street... shocking....
1657025107789.png
They actually knocked that coffee shop down when the stage got added. It’s got some portacabins on it now for the ents to get changed in.

Mini ‘event’ has been announced for 15-17 July in CBeebies Land where recently discovered dinosaur bones are on display. Ties into the new attraction for 2022.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.