• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2022: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
There were quite a few people paying full whack at Blackpool on Sunday, some people just don't like to plan.

Blackpool doesn’t offer the same pricing structure as the Merlin parks though. It’s very rare for BPB to offer significant discounts unlike Merlin and the 50% off and 2for1s.
So yes some people might pay the gate price, but it’s a lower gate price than Merlin parks.

W-why? That's a lot of moola they've lost if they hadn't booked a week prior *tut tut*
I guess they'd make it back with the winnings from the Uttoxeter races :D

I wonder with these price increases if we'll get the usual 2 for 1 vouchers or if there'll be something else instead? My guess is that it'll be the same

I've never paid gate price and I always preplan because I've never lived anywhere near a theme park. I'm not sure what I would do as a non passholder who lives locally as I've unfortunately never been in that situation. I completely understand why people do plan in advance. Why pay gate price when a quick Google and you're in for a more reasonable price?

However I do have sympathy for those who do. I went to Blackpool a week ago Saturday and planned it way in advance. It was out of season and was my last chance to get some rides in before the winter. Winds were strong and it was cold. Big One shut all day, Icon rolling back in the morning and hardly anything opened before 1pm if I'm honest. The weather simply couldn't be predicted, Big One was always going to be an off chance but it was just tough luck if most of the other rides didn't open due to cold and wind. Same with Towers the next day, full of snow and many rides closed all day. Had I lived within an hour or so of either, I may have been tempted to just see how the weather was the day before or on the day.

That said, very few people will still pay the £62. And if they do, they're paying a premium for either assurance or ignorance. I won't defend profiteering but I don't think anyone can claim that Alton haven't put on a better display this season than they have for years. That all comes at a cost. It looks like the gate price increase is a way to offset the decline in people who actually end up paying that price in the day and age of online pre-booking. It probably is a net increase but who knows without knowing for sure who pays which price?

Icon rolls back every morning.
It is how they get the wheels warm enough to complete the circuit on the first full powered launch.
Happens every day, some days it is done before the park opens.

Who else thinks that Rocky Express,Timber Tug Boat and Lumber Jump from Thorpe will arrive at Alton Towers next year. I think that Rocky is bound for The World Of David Williams or CBeebies Land. My hypothesis is that Cuckoo Cars Driving School will be rethemed and relocated to CBeebies Land and Rocky Express will be rethemed to one of David Williams’s books and will take the Driving Schools location.

Rocky Express is surely if not totally knackered, then approaching the end of its life? Stranger things have happened, I suppose. Alton got an old Carousel from Thorpe in the 00s, back when Thorpe had carousels going spare, cluttering up the place.

Last edited:
Wasn't sure where to post this, so mods please feel free to move it to a more appropriate topic, but with masks being compulsory in visitor attractions, does that mean outdoor theme parks as well?

51585983-10295777-image-a-26_1639132475610.jpg

Wasn't sure where to post this, so mods please feel free to move it to a more appropriate topic, but with masks being compulsory in visitor attractions, does that mean outdoor theme parks as well?

51585983-10295777-image-a-26_1639132475610.jpg

The Alton Towers website has been updated to confirm masks are required in indoor areas.

qOaiSwc.jpg

I've just removed a handful of posts that have been responses to a duplicate post from other discussions.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.