• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2022 Speculation and CBeebies Land additions

Towers, and Merlin in general are so unpredictable at the moment. On one hand, they're reverting to type doing the silly things that they always have. On the other, they keep throwing curve balls (good ones) that no one really would have predicted under PLC Merlin.

That's why it's hard to say what's going through their minds for next season. I think the least likely is anything happening with NST, I'd cross that off anyone's wish list. Something needs to happen with Walliams World as its brand damaging in its current state, surely something needs to open there doesn't it? As for the flats, they've certainly created themselves a problem there as I'd say they've probably generally been a success but I just can't see them ordering new ones. Do they do nothing and use the Covid excuse?
Yes Merlin seem to be a bit inconsistent at the moment. Although with a big company takeover like this I suspose that can be expected.

As for NST being the least likely I agree although I wouldn't completely rule it out in the future, I very much doubt anything will happen next year. Walliams world is very likely to receive something and I hope it does. With flat rides I think they might get some for 2023 but surely they would need to order these things at least a year in advance and they'd have no idea how the Retorsquad was going to work out then. I hope they do something though even if they could get away with the COVID excuse. .

Personally I think permanent thrill flats in the Retrosquad spots are most likely for next season, as they are relatively cheap, much-needed and don't require planning permission. Then it'll be something more substantial in 2023.

The 2022 Short Breaks page is now live and the booking portal seems to suggest the opening day will be Saturday 19th March:

https://www.altontowers.com/short-breaks/offers-packages/2022-short-breaks/

Interestingly, the description reads:

“Share massive giggles, mega thrills and major glee with your family in 2022 at Alton Towers Resort! As well as amazing new attractions, the Resort will be hosting fantastic events and entertainment for the nation to enjoy!”

Share massive giggles, mega thrills and major glee with your family in 2022 at Alton Towers Resort! As well as amazing new attractions, the Resort will be hosting fantastic events and entertainment for the nation to enjoy!”

That is literally just the same wording from this year (and I think last year as well) with 2021 being replaced with 2022, so I wouldn’t read too much into it at this stage.

That is literally just the same wording from this year (and I think last year as well) with 2021 being replaced with 2022, so I wouldn’t read too much into it at this stage.
Didn’t know that, and fair point. It would be a bit of a massive oversight to be actively selling packages advertising new attractions if there aren’t going to be any though.

It's almost certain that something will be new for next season, we just don't know what yet. :)

Last edited:
Didn’t know that, and fair point. It would be a bit of a massive oversight to be actively selling packages advertising new attractions if there aren’t going to be any though.

New for 2022, Random new CBeebies character on stage at Big Fun showtime.

That would count as something new in theme park marketing terms.

Probably a Nemesis Donut shop and new VR on Galactica or some other marketing ploy. Whatever is it won't be big or it's already covered by existing planning permissions.

It would be nice to see something done with N:ST and rapids turned back up but can't see it happening.

Looks like another gap year.

The answer is sadly boring :(

Biggest display of Japanese Spider Crabs arrive at the Alton Towers Resort in time for February half term (19th - 27th February)

Having travelled over 6,000 miles, 96 legs crawled their way into the Alton Towers Resort today, as the UK’s leading short break destination took a delivery of 12 gigantic Japanese Spider Crabs ahead of its February half-term season opening on 19th February. Brand new for 2011, the breathtaking creatures will reside in the all-new area of Sharkbait Reef by SEA LIFE, recently named Skeleton Bay.

The largest display of Japanese Spider Crabs in the UK, the giant amphibians are set to reach a combined weight of 230kg, and each span nearly four metres in length, the equivalent of the entire Oblivion track at Britain’s Greatest Escape.

Usually found off the southern Japanese island of HonshÅ© in depths up to 600 metres, the crabs will now settle within the Resort’s pirate-themed Mutiny Bay alongside over 300 other species of fish, including sharks and seahorses and more than one million litres of water.

Divisional Director of the Alton Towers Resort, Ian Crabbe said: ‘After months of anticipation and planning we’re really excited to be welcoming our 12 Japanese Spider Crabs into Sharkbait Reef by SEA LIFE and are now looking forward to seeing the reaction of visitors when they enter the new Skeleton Bay attraction and come face to face with the giant creatures! With endless family fun to be had this February half-term, we hope hosting the UK’s biggest ever display of Spider Crabs will provide our guests with a unique and memorable experience to take home in 2011!

The Alton Towers Resort is open from 10am-4pm every day between 19th-27th February for the February Half Term. With prices from just £13 per person for a family of four 2 day ticket when booked at altontowers.com, the Alton Towers Resort is a great day out of short break!

For more information on the UK’s number 1 short break destination and Britain’s Greatest Escape, visit www.altontowers.com

Facts and figures

• Laid out together, the leg span of the 12 Japanese Spider Crabs is equivalent to the track length of Oblivion!
  • The combined weight of the crabs is over 230 kg – that’s the same as the flying ship in the Alton Towers Hotel
  • The bodies of the crabs can grow up to 40 centimetres – that’s the same diameter as the rubber rings in the waterpark
  • The team at Sharkbait Reef by Sea Life will clean the Spider Crabs with toothbrushes
  • The natural habitat of the spider crabs is in the Pacific between 300-400 metres deep – that’s 20 times the height of TH13TEEN

"After months of anticipation and planning we’re really excited to be welcoming our 12 Japanese Spider Crabs into Sharkbait Reef"

Months of planning? Really???

"After months of anticipation and planning we’re really excited to be welcoming our 12 Japanese Spider Crabs into Sharkbait Reef"

Months of planning? Really???
The logistics of transporting live animals long distances can indeed take months to plan.

The logistics of transporting live animals long distances can indeed take months to plan.

I'm sure there's some red tape they have to deal with but it's bit of hyperbole. I doubt it's something they have slaved away at is what I was eluding to.