• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2022 Speculation and CBeebies Land additions

You've made a few assumptions there based on PLC Merlin though. For good and for bad, we've seen Merlin behave differently this year as a private company so there's no guarantee there's any kind of Capex cycle like there once was.
They recently put out a job post for an MMM creative that expressly mentioned a 5-year CAPEX cycle.

I thought Chessington’s 2023 coaster was locked in and confirmed? Or are you not calling that confirmed until planning is granted?

Gardaland is also rumoured to be building an indoor/outdoor family coaster of some sort to replace Ramses for 2022, although that project could just as easily be a dark ride. Irregardless of what it is, though, 2022 is still (presumably) a major year at Gardaland.

I agree with your sentiment, though. Among the RTPs, I’d say Alton is (or at least, should be based on recent investment levels) pretty far towards the back of the queue for a major investment. I’d be quite happy for SW9 to wait if it means that the likes of Thorpe get a major investment earlier.

I personally think that SW9 will have happened by 2025 at the latest, however. My personal guess is 2024 or so, possibly 2023 depending on how long it takes to construct and whether they don’t mind coexisting with Chessington’s major investment like Smiler & Zufari did in 2013. Merlin has a 5 year CAPEX cycle, apparently, so even taking COVID into account, I’d guess that the next high will probably be no later than 2024/2025, personally. I don’t think we’ll be waiting years & years for SW9 like some imply.
Yeah I don't think we'll be waiting years and years either, I agree I can see it being around 2025 possibly.

You've made a few assumptions there based on PLC Merlin though. For good and for bad, we've seen Merlin behave differently this year as a private company so there's no guarantee there's any kind of Capex cycle like there once was.

This is true, but this works the other way also. There is no guarantee Alton will be last out of the RTP's to receive a major attraction either.

Everything that we once knew is essentially out the door, anything can happen at this point. We just do not know yet. We probably will not know what their plan is either until we can see a pattern years down the line, as they have no reason to publicly announce their cycles and spending patterns anymore.

Last edited:
I wouldn’t be surprised to see something new/updated in CBeebies Land for 2022. It has actually been the longest period without anything new, there were additions in 2015, 2017 and 2019 so even if it’s a small addition or a new show etc I imagine something will come to help keep things fresh.

I certainly don’t expect them to add 4 new permanent flat rides, but one new theme park model flat themed to its location would be a positive step, perhaps in X-Sector as I think that location is the least likely to see any other changes in the coming years.

With FV being a potential location for SW9 and with sightings of Mr Wardley and other management in this area recently it may well mean the Ripsaw site will be used for other developments, meaning adding a flat there now would be a waste of resources.

Finally I would like to see Driving School being added into TWODW area and theatre being reopened with a new show of some sort.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see something new/updated in CBeebies Land for 2022. It has actually been the longest period without anything new, there were additions in 2015, 2017 and 2019 so even if it’s a small addition or a new show etc I imagine something will come to help keep things fresh.

I certainly don’t expect them to add 4 new permanent flat rides, but one new theme park model flat themed to its location would be a positive step, perhaps in X-Sector as I think that location is the least likely to see any other changes in the coming years.

With FV being a potential location for SW9 and with sightings of Mr Wardley and other management in this area recently it may well mean the Ripsaw site will be used for other developments, meaning adding a flat there now would be a waste of resources.

Finally I would like to see Driving School being added into TWODW area and theatre being reopened with a new show of some sort.
I would absolutely agree.

In terms of Cbeebies Land 2022 attractions, there is a couple of possibilities (if I'm wrong about any of these sites, then don't be afraid to correct me lol):
- Site 1: Next to Mr Bloom's Allotment/Near Pie-O-Matic) New family flat ride (Larson Flying Scooters maybe).
- Site 2: Nina's Science Lab building) New walkthrough interactive attraction (like the puzzle activities element in House Of Monsters).

For flat rides to delight the thrillseekers, I'd love to see the site used formerly by Submission and currently used by Mixtape, with a ride themed to the Ministry Of Joy (even if its just mentioned in a queue line sign like Enterprise or fully themed and designed with that theme). Types of flat rides; SBF Visa Acrobatic Flight (Merlin worked with SBF Visa on Croc Drop at CWOA so there is that connection already) or a Zamperla Nebulaz (UK’S First record as well) or even a Zamperla Hawk (like a more modernised version of Submission - kinda).

Lastly, TWODW will be under its phase two in my opinion - I agree with the quote above! A new show (hopefully with the restrictions down) or a 4D film of one of the David Walliams stories in the building. Driving School rethemed as well. However, I believe there is a chance for a phase 3 in the future. That building opposite the Driving School (not sure what it is now but I believe it was The Dolls House - I could be wrong), that building could be of use, either filled in with a new attraction or removed for a new ride. I might be a bit off the mark, but if the Driving School is not rethemed and is in fact removed as well, I could see a dueling family-thrill boomerang coaster by Vekoma across the two plots of land. Alternatively, filling that building with a ride like an indoor Dodgems (like Thorpe) or maybe a permanent version of Flavio's Fantastic Flamengos (with added indoor lighting and theming) would also be amazing.

All in all, I'd say that makes it a great 2022 season!

I would absolutely agree.

In terms of Cbeebies Land 2022 attractions, there is a couple of possibilities (if I'm wrong about any of these sites, then don't be afraid to correct me lol):
- Site 1: Next to Mr Bloom's Allotment/Near Pie-O-Matic) New family flat ride (Larson Flying Scooters maybe).
- Site 2: Nina's Science Lab building) New walkthrough interactive attraction (like the puzzle activities element in House Of Monsters).

For flat rides to delight the thrillseekers, I'd love to see the site used formerly by Submission and currently used by Mixtape, with a ride themed to the Ministry Of Joy (even if its just mentioned in a queue line sign like Enterprise or fully themed and designed with that theme). Types of flat rides; SBF Visa Acrobatic Flight (Merlin worked with SBF Visa on Croc Drop at CWOA so there is that connection already) or a Zamperla Nebulaz (UK’S First record as well) or even a Zamperla Hawk (like a more modernised version of Submission - kinda).

Lastly, TWODW will be under its phase two in my opinion - I agree with the quote above! A new show (hopefully with the restrictions down) or a 4D film of one of the David Walliams stories in the building. Driving School rethemed as well. However, I believe there is a chance for a phase 3 in the future. That building opposite the Driving School (not sure what it is now but I believe it was The Dolls House - I could be wrong), that building could be of use, either filled in with a new attraction or removed for a new ride. I might be a bit off the mark, but if the Driving School is not rethemed and is in fact removed as well, I could see a dueling family-thrill boomerang coaster by Vekoma across the two plots of land. Alternatively, filling that building with a ride like an indoor Dodgems (like Thorpe) or maybe a permanent version of Flavio's Fantastic Flamengos (with added indoor lighting and theming) would also be amazing.
All in all, I'd say that makes it a great 2022 season!
For Mixtape's plot in X Sector I'd prefer it to be replaced with a permanent model of that same ride (Smashing Jump), themed into the area. Makes sense given how popular Mixtape is! :)

For Mixtape's plot in X Sector I'd prefer it to be replaced with a permanent model of that same ride (Smashing Jump), themed into the area. Makes sense given how popular Mixtape is! :)
I think they could do with something with a better capacity though if I'm honest.

I think it'd work well though because it's not like it would have high queues all day like the coasters. As a supporting flat, it probably could get up to 60 minutes+, but then it could quite easily be 0 later in the day. I think a permanent one would be fine. I'll take anything though as long as we're not going back to just a patch of grass :tearsofjoy:

I think it'd work well though because it's not like it would have high queues all day like the coasters. As a supporting flat, it probably could get up to 60 minutes+, but then it could quite easily be 0 later in the day. I think a permanent one would be fine. I'll take anything though as long as we're not going back to just a patch of grass :tearsofjoy:
Mixtape seems to get queues of between 50-70 mins on busy days usually.

Mixtape seems to get queues of between 50-70 mins on busy days usually.
I've seen how quickly the queue builds up for it as well. We waited 10 minutes from the second switchback last month, and whilst the ride was loading the queue behind us built up into the long bottom switchback that heads towards the entrance (with no social distancing as well) I'd say it could've built up to 35-40 minutes at that time.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if there was no real additions to the lineup besides keeping the retro squad. There is still limits on people until the end the month, I think they will use it as an excuse to push everything back another year.

Yes realistically there probably won't be much added next year, but I really hope they do something. Adding something in CBeebies and one permanent flat would be a good start.

Yes realistically there probably won't be much added next year, but I really hope they do something. Adding something in CBeebies and one permanent flat would be a good start.
I do feel like this is the most realistic outcome, then they hit the younger and older market in one relatively cheap year.

Thug Swinger
Dynamore

Hopefully they continue the work they seemingly half started with TWODW, get more theming and a couple of new rides.

Would also be nice to see 1 or 2 thrill flats back in the back.

And buy Steel Vengeance from Cedar Point and whack it in the gardens.

I now REALLY want to see an new indoor coaster called the Blacker Hole.

but a new floor less top spin as Ripsaw Reloaded would make a lot of sense, 2022 would also be the 25th anniversary of Ripsaw opening.