• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2022 Speculation and CBeebies Land additions

The Smashing Jump in X Sector seems to be getting a lot of praise. Maybe just me but I don't get it? I thought is was rubbish when I rode it.I have a son who despises the feeling of weightlessness and won't even go on Thirteen again and he looked like he was going to fall asleep on it. My 7 year old daughter got off and said it was just "ok".

I certainly don't want the Waltzers or the Jump to be even considered as permanent additions. I think the Sizzler is fine as a permanent supporting attraction, may get away with a permanent and bigger version of the Super Trooper if well themed to a blue lit version of the Marmaliser in X Sector or something at push although I'd really advocate something much better.

The Smashing Jump in X Sector seems to be getting a lot of praise. Maybe just me but I don't get it? I thought is was rubbish when I rode it.I have a son who despises the feeling of weightlessness and won't even go on Thirteen again and he looked like he was going to fall asleep on it. My 7 year old daughter got off and said it was just "ok".

I certainly don't want the Waltzers or the Jump to be even considered as permanent additions. I think the Sizzler is fine as a permanent supporting attraction, may get away with a permanent and bigger version of the Super Trooper if well themed to a blue lit version of the Marmaliser in X Sector or something at push although I'd really advocate something much better.
I will admit that Mixtape's cycle could be better. At one point when I was on it I thought it was having technical issues, as it was moving slowly and the pneumatics were making strange noises (although it was raining then which could've been a factor). However the last bit of the cycle was insane, it went crazy fast! If Towers got a permanent one they'd have more control over the cycle variety and length I'd expect. :)

Mixtape has been on a long cycle both times I've ridden it. Well maybe not long, but 3 minutes+, with I think is more than the standard for typical theme park flats.

Now one of the main reasons I joined this forum is this thread.
Personally I think they'll do a 'three brand new experiences at Alton Towers' job.
I think they'll do someone in the lines of this:
1. family flat ride in one of the retro squad areas.
2. This could be a few things: First it could be another new flat ride (least likely due to cost), second a reincarnation of some form of nemesis sub terror (possible as it would be easy to market it ('The nemesis monster has laid enough egg and this time is more deadly') or a ride in cbeebies land.
3. A new show (mostly likely 4D) in Williams World. Another easy one as there is already plenty of material they could use. All they have got to do is programme the seats to move around a bit.
On another note they may just choice one of these but who knows.

I don’t think we will actually get any new attractions

I feel the new owners of Merlin will stand back evaluate what is needed before making any investments

As a result, this close season I see ride refurbs being the main focus. RMT, Rapids, Duel, Oblivion, Nemesis and Smiler all getting attention

2023 I actually foresee the removal of Rita making way for flats and a new coaster in DF for 2024

We've had a "new" attraction every year since 2012 (2020 aside but we would have), it's highly likely there will be something, even if it's just minor.

I don’t think we will actually get any new attractions

I feel the new owners of Merlin will stand back evaluate what is needed before making any investments

As a result, this close season I see ride refurbs being the main focus. RMT, Rapids, Duel, Oblivion, Nemesis and Smiler all getting attention

2023 I actually foresee the removal of Rita making way for flats and a new coaster in DF for 2024
This is also very possible. I'm sure they'll market it as a new ride anyway.

Looks cool but I think it would be too tall for towers, even if it was put in Blade's spot. :p
There were two sizes of the old Intamin half-pipes, so if the new sizing is similar, maybe the smaller 20m size would fit into Towers? 20m is the same height as Galactica, Oblivion & Thirteen, to put things into some perspective.

There were two sizes of the old Intamin half-pipes, so if the new sizing is similar, maybe the smaller 20m size would fit into Towers? 20m is the same height as Galactica, Oblivion & Thirteen, to put things into some perspective.
It just doesn't seem likely though does it? Especially not in 2022. Surely they would of had to have put planning permission in already for such a development? Especially due to the height. I'm not sure whether it would be a good fit for towers anyway, mainly because its not really going to fit the theme of forbidden valley very well. For a SW it just would be a bit disappointing as towers can do so much better than a standard model like this. But who knows stranger things have happened.

More Wally World stuff in 2022 I would imagine.

Hopefully we'll see some additional permanent flat rides but I'm not holding out much hope.

Bring back Ripsaw! It was my favourite ride at Alton Towers and I miss it so much!

I think I liked Ripsaw so much because as a kid it had so many inversions so it was thrilling and it was different each time depending on how it operated. Also the water splash made it an intense water ride which is something you just don't get. I would love to see it back and modernised. It fit in perfectly with the theming at Forbidden Valley as well I thought.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry for bumping this thread but I wanted to update my opinions on likely additions for 2022.

In my opinion there are really three options the park could go with. There is a chance they do more than one of these but I do think that's unlikely. Of course there is the option that they decide not to open anything for next year but only time will tell.
1) A new flat ride in one of the Retorsquad spaces. I'm not sure what the ride would be however I think there's a good chance that if they do add a flat ride it will be in X-sector. I think the Retrosquade ride that's there is a smashing jump(?) and that seems fairly popular and I don't think its out of the question that they would consider adding a permanent one. If it is a flat ride it will probably be from the cheapest possible manufacturer, likely SBFvisa.
2) Something in the Nemesis sub-terra building. Whether they re-use the ride system, just make it a walk through or add a new ride system this is certainly a possibility. I think if they do decide to something in here they'll attempt to reduce staffing costs. I do think there's lots of opportunities for new/revitalised attractions in this space and I think forbidden valley is in need of it.
3) Something in David Walliams world. They've got a few options here and there's lots they could do. I think the most likely option is a new show in the theatre. This would be easy to do and probably wouldn't use that many staff. I think there's also a chance that this has been planned well in advance. If the pandemic hadn't of hit Walliams world would have opened in 2020. 2022 would have been two years after the original opening which would have gave time for the area to bed in before the expansion takes place.

Now which do I think is most likely?
Well I'm not really sure I think the Walliams world addition is very likely and that a flat ride is possible. I think something in the Nemesis sub-terra space is somewhat unlikely but not completely out of the question.

Towers, and Merlin in general are so unpredictable at the moment. On one hand, they're reverting to type doing the silly things that they always have. On the other, they keep throwing curve balls (good ones) that no one really would have predicted under PLC Merlin.

That's why it's hard to say what's going through their minds for next season. I think the least likely is anything happening with NST, I'd cross that off anyone's wish list. Something needs to happen with Walliams World as its brand damaging in its current state, surely something needs to open there doesn't it? As for the flats, they've certainly created themselves a problem there as I'd say they've probably generally been a success but I just can't see them ordering new ones. Do they do nothing and use the Covid excuse?