• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2023: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
this whole event looks as if it was planned by a year 9 school group in media studies, very disjointed and let’s not even mention the section outside Wickerman, definitely should have been kept to just the X Sector and towers street. This will be the year Towers is one of my least visited parks in a long time! bad management, diabolical f&b offering, poor cleanliness, ride downtime and closures. All the more reason to spend my money on new experiences abroad and across the UK’s other parks.

It literally says in the name of the event 'The smiler takeover'. Who cares if it looks out of place it really doesn't matter. Some people just moan for the sake of moaning. End of the day if you don't like it don't go. I agree with Shaun and people on here about the retro squad, but it doesn't make sense to be critical about them putting smiler theming around the park when the whole purpose of the event is celebrating 10 years of smiler.

Last edited:
It literally says in the name of the event 'The smiler takeover'. Who cares if it looks out of place it really doesn't matter. Some people just moan for the sake of moaning. End of the day if you don't like it don't go. I agree with Shaun and people on here about the retro squad, but it doesn't make sense to be critical about them putting smiler theming around the park when the whole purpose of the event is celebrating 10 years of smiler. Give it a rest
I’m not moaning for the sake of moaning I’m sharing an opinion. simply pointing out putting roadwork looking barriers around a pagan themed ride area doesn’t suit the words “theme park”. Also I said I won’t go whilst the park is operating like it currently is, so you have your wish there. I understand what this even is supposed to be, but my point is it should be executed so much better, maybe use the courtyard or the junction near mutiny bay… but no let’s stick bright yellow banners and barriers right outside wickerman, brilliant.

It literally says in the name of the event 'The smiler takeover'. Who cares if it looks out of place it really doesn't matter. Some people just moan for the sake of moaning. End of the day if you don't like it don't go. I agree with Shaun and people on here about the retro squad, but it doesn't make sense to be critical about them putting smiler theming around the park when the whole purpose of the event is celebrating 10 years of smiler. Give it a rest

Perhaps instead of taking a persistently combative tone when someone dares to insult your beloved rustbucket The Smiler, you should once again consider other people are allowed to have a differing opinion on a discussion forum.

Peoples issue here is the manner in which they have implemented this ‘takeover’; it doesn’t compliment the other areas but clashes with them. And its typically very cheaply done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I’m not moaning for the sake of moaning I’m sharing an opinion. simply pointing out putting roadwork looking barriers around a pagan themed ride area doesn’t suit the words “theme park”. Also I said I won’t go whilst the park is operating like it currently is, so you have your wish there. I understand what this even is supposed to be, but my point is it should be executed so much better, maybe use the courtyard or the junction near mutiny bay… but no let’s stick bright yellow banners and barriers right outside wickerman, brilliant.
The theme is Smiler Takeover, so in the context of a theme park holding an event where the Smiler takes over the park with events it makes perfect sense.

Not got a problem what you said I'm more annoyed by Shaun using his platform to slander towers for an event doing what the event says in the name.

Questionable quality aside, feel like this about what can be expected from a “Smiler Takeover“. Events exist to provide something different from the norm and this ticks those boxes at the very least. I’m always so disappointed whenever Scarefest theming doesn’t extend further than Towers Street so it’s nice to see that events can actually stretch beyond a single area. To the people saying they’ll spend money on this but not on upkeep, realistically how much money do you think was spent on this? Doubt it‘s much..

Not got a problem what you said I'm more annoyed by Shaun using his platform to slander towers for an event doing what the event says in the name.
Slander Towers?? He's just giving his opinion, which he is entitled to do on his own personal channel.

Fair enough if you don't agree with him but you can't accuse him of slander for expressing a valid opinion. The event might be doing what it says on the tin but that doesn't mean he or anyone else has to be happy with a well-themed ride being covered in naff yellow tape.

We won’t agree on this one as I’m definitely agreeing with what TPW have said here. I think it looks a poorly executed event, no matter what the idea of it should be. Maybe if I do end up visiting I can see it and change my mind but from what I’ve seen it doesn’t give me much hope. Maybe the budget (albeit small) for this event could have been better used on other needs.

I knew people would bash for theming being out of place in different areas, but I agree with actually it’s LITERALLY an event called The Smiler Takeover so why are we all surprised that that’s happened?

We were half joking at the weekend about them plastering The Smiler over the likes of Wicker Man for this event, well, they basically have:

Agree with Shawn's sentiments, not a good look at all.

Bordering on Fanta "looking down's the fun part" levels of indifference toward the whole 'themed attraction' thing they're supposed to be second only to Disney at.

I honestly don't think things wouldn't look bad of not only had Smiler got TLC for this season with a new lick of paint but that they had put more effort with thr takeover instead of plonking signs down which just screams cheapness.

I've said this before but Merlin are a glass house which looks all mighty yet behind the curtains are hollow and fragile and you have to wonder the actual state of the company if they have become too big for their own good and have hit the glass ceiling and now can't expand elsewhere but shrink? Bigger they are the harder they fall as they say.

Slander Towers?? He's just giving his opinion, which he is entitled to do on his own personal channel.

Fair enough if you don't agree with him but you can't accuse him of slander for expressing a valid opinion. The event might be doing what it says on the tin but that doesn't mean he or anyone else has to be happy with a well-themed ride being covered in naff yellow tape.
I know he's allowed to give his opinion it's just I don't get what he was expecting. If they just stuck everything in x sector everyone would be saying no thought or effort has gone into the event. Wouldn't be much of a takeover if it was just x sector

Bordering on Fanta "looking down's the fun part" levels of indifference toward the whole 'themed attraction' thing they're supposed to be second only to Disney at.

They are not supposed to be second only to Disney at themed attractions.

They are second to Disney in the number of attractions they operate thats all.

Its like saying that Subway has tastier chicken nuggets than KFC because Subway has more stores.

I knew people would bash for theming being out of place in different areas, but I agree with actually it’s LITERALLY an event called The Smiler Takeover so why are we all surprised that that’s happened?
But it's also LITERALLY a theme park, where there's a general expectation that you have areas that adhere to a specific theme. I'm all for events to change things up a bit, but I don't think it's entirely crazy to suggest that any changes to areas for events are at least in keeping with their existing theme. If it was for an event like Halloween where you expect "spooky" theming in places, then perhaps there's some leeway there. But to celebrate a single ride that the park have left to rot since it was built? Not so much.

I know he's allowed to give his opinion it's just I don't get what he was expecting. If they just stuck everything in x sector everyone would be saying no thought or effort has gone into the event. Wouldn't be much of a takeover if it was just x sector
I was expecting that there'd at least be some effort to maintain some of the atmosphere in areas like Wickerman, especially for visitors who's only visit may be during this event.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.