• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2023: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Thanks for the replies. I'll just make sure to start the day with The Smiler and Oblivion to ensure I at least get one go on them.

Quite frankly if I'm going to get two on The Smiler, I need the time in between to recover anyway!

Storm Babet has been named in honour of your trip to the Towers, you lucky person!
It very rarely rains all day, the winds usually blow it through.
Think of the savings on suncream.

Alton tends to have its own micro climate anyway. The number of times I’ve gone when the forecast was rain and it’s been dry.
Yeah that was the case for me a few years back. Was forecast to rain heavily all day but turned out to be bone dry.

That's a heck of a long walk for some people to get into the park. Coupled with the issues with the Skyride the park is struggling to accommodate those with mobility issues. Actually, thinking about the Skyride - if the monorail is now on its last legs, and the Skyride - how about ripping them both out and install a new Skyride system which not only transports guests around the park but also from the car parks and hotels into the park?

That's a heck of a long walk for some people to get into the park. Coupled with the issues with the Skyride the park is struggling to accommodate those with mobility issues. Actually, thinking about the Skyride - if the monorail is now on its last legs, and the Skyride - how about ripping them both out and install a new Skyride system which not only transports guests around the park but also from the car parks and hotels into the park?

My wife is 8 months pregnant, so was delighted to be told that it was closed, and given no explanation, no alternative arrangements, no access via the hotel gate, she can’t wait for the walk back later. I’m honestly considering walking it myself and picking her up from EP.

Interestingly there is one monorail on the track, and it’s parked up at the coach park evac point. Power to it as the lights are on, so guessing there’s an onboard issue which is now blocking the track for the other trains.

My wife is 8 months pregnant, so was delighted to be told that it was closed, and given no explanation, no alternative arrangements, no access via the hotel gate, she can’t wait for the walk back later. I’m honestly considering walking it myself and picking her up from EP.

If it helps anyone can leave via the hotel gate, so if you are over that side of the park no need to head to the main entrance, just head out straight onto the car parks from Galactica.

Last edited:
With Monorail going down, just another bit of piece of Merlin's woeful maintenance record along with Skyride and Hex coming back to bite them in the ass again.

If I ride goes down for a certain amount of time for whatever reason, I'm honestly not suprised anymore.

Monorail struggles in the cold
That good old, first frost, old dodgy electrical systems slowly die through lack of proper maintenance.
Love it, hadn't spotted the link sir!
Just recharged my first old lady punters flat battery, same car every year, used to go to the local shop once a week, then flat dead after the first frost.
New battery every three or four years.

Reactions: Ash
More it struggles with frost on the track. They got very specific about running it at certain temps after the Daisy train incident.

The fact they don’t have a land train workaround for the monorail after all these years I find even more farcical tbh. No reason, if they bothered to properly pave the car parks, a land train couldn’t work off road from the car parks to the bus stop

There's usually a few D&G buses in the coach parking since they run the employee services, I wonder how much they would charge to run a shuttle service? Although that does assume they have sufficient drivers which may be difficult until the schools are out. I'm aware it wouldn't have the capacity of the monorail but it would be helpful for those with mobility problems.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.