• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2023: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
That's a heck of a long walk for some people to get into the park. Coupled with the issues with the Skyride the park is struggling to accommodate those with mobility issues. Actually, thinking about the Skyride - if the monorail is now on its last legs, and the Skyride - how about ripping them both out and install a new Skyride system which not only transports guests around the park but also from the car parks and hotels into the park?

I don’t think the Skyride is on its last legs, it just needs a lot of work and I suspect it’s having the same issues we have in the hospitals with getting parts over from Europe since brexit.

Monorail on the other hand is effed.

I don’t think the Skyride is on its last legs, it just needs a lot of work and I suspect it’s having the same issues we have in the hospitals with getting parts over from Europe since brexit.

Monorail on the other hand is effed.
I'm sure they'll get it fixed (Skyride), however it's pretty useless as a form of mobility transport. The complex evacuation procedures mean it cannot be operated after dark and neither is it operated on hot days due to the risk of overheating if it did break down. It's a unique transport system and an attraction in itself, but to expect the less mobile to rely on it to get around the park is unreasonable.

Why exactly, when they have relied on the system for the last thirty five years?
Perfectly reasonable to expect it to be open, when zero notice was given of closure.
It has been an excellent form of mobility transport on all my previous visits...if it had been given the same focus as the haunted house has, then many thousands of visitors would have reasonable access to the park.
All cable cars are "unique systems", and there are many thousands used for transport, over dozens of nations.
If there was money in it, it would be open.
The way it has been handled is disability discrimination.
After a whole year of closure, parts could be made by a local manufacturer, lots of engineering firms locally claim to be able to make any part for anyone, anywhere.
Other parts of the park have been prioritised, at cost to the less mobile.

Last edited:
Why exactly, when they have relied on the system for the last hirty five years
Perfectly reasonable to expect it to be open, when zero notice was given of closure.
It has been an excellent form of mobility transport on all my previous visits...if it had been given the same focus as the haunted house has, then many thousands of visitors would have reasonable access to the park.
All cable cars are "unique systems", and there are many thousands used for transport, over dozens of nations.
If there was money in it, it would be open.
The way it has been handled is disability discrimination.
After a whole year of closure, parts could be made by a local manufacturer, lots of engineering firms locally claim to be able to make any part for anyone, anywhere.
Other parts of the park have been prioritised, at cost to the less mobile.
If you go to Alton Towers expecting the Sky Ride to be available then you're asking for trouble. Regardless as to whether it needs a lot of work to repair adverse weather conditions can close it for the day anyway. They could completely rebuild it and all you'd need was a bit of wind and that's it.

The only thing you can really complain about is the way they've maintained it and communication regarding it's future

Honestly, a land train service with stations around the park is something I'd be happy to pay for. I live in a town with a land train (previously owned and operated by Merlin) & it's extremely popular, causes minimal issues to pedestrians, in fact they enjoy waving as it goes by! With carefully planned routes & timetables, single journey & day tickets options (if they choose to charge), it could help solve access issues for those with mobility difficulties & land trains are far easier to service!

I can actually remember them putting on a bus shuttle service from near the monorail station to the main entrance some time ago (probably a decade or so). I know, because I used it! I think it was on one of the quieter days for a winter opening or something. Where there's will there's a way. Of course, if you did it for a busy summer's day, the demand for it would be very big, especially with the amount of RAP holders (and of course the 4 others in their party that will have to travel with them).

I assume it used to operate on hot days in the past so not sure why it can’t now unless the new gondalas are hotter somehow. Anyway that’s easy to fix, just leave the doors open on very hot days 😂

Can’t imagine the park without a monorail and given much of the park has been built around the existing could they not just replace the monorail cars with new ones? Or would it be a completely new set up?

When people with limited mobility have used, and relied on, the skyride for years, the current situation is poor, and the information provided should have been more honest from the start of the season.
On my occasional visits to the Towers, I have only had problems with the skyride in the last few years.
If it is going to be hot or windy, I don't go to the Towers.
This season, with two planned visits, the park has been off limits to me and my mate.

Even for a relatively healthy guy in my mid 30’s I find the lack of the monorail and sky ride on a visit a ball ache, so I really feel for those with mobility issues.

I’m hoping this culture of reactive guest communication is phased out next season.

The Alton Towers website could do with ride closure information on the home page. I appreciate they have created 'Ride & Attraction Availability' page, however, you will only find this page if going through the website/specifically seeking this information, which I would say is unlikely for the majority of theme park guests. That page needs to be more prominent/obvious.

Looking at the website also, no mention of Hex or the Skyride closures on their respective pages, and both visible on the 'Rides and Attractions' page. You would assume both are open if you're having a browse to see what is at the theme park.

The Skyride closure does highlight the lack of alternative transport in the theme park. I would be in favour of land trains or if Towers fancy splashing the cash, bring a railway back to the park.

I saw a group of people queuing for Hex on Saturday morning - there was no sign or staff member telling them it was closed all season. I told them which they were very grateful for. While such a section on their website is a good idea, it’s amazing how many people still don’t use the app or check the website for their visit.

I saw a group of people queuing for Hex on Saturday morning - there was no sign or staff member telling them it was closed all season. I told them which they were very grateful for. While such a section on their website is a good idea, it’s amazing how many people still don’t use the app or check the website for their visit.
There's the semi permanent sign on the gates, is there not? The Vault is presently sealed at this time, yadayadayada?

You can start a queue anywhere, all you need is two of you. In my gosling days I used to find it funny to stare up into the sky and make as though I could see something, watch as a small crowd gathers around and then slowly walk away, leaving quite a few people confused as to what they're looking for. I've done similar with fake queues too. Yes, I was a bored little twat.

I'm sure they'll get it fixed (Skyride), however it's pretty useless as a form of mobility transport. The complex evacuation procedures mean it cannot be operated after dark and neither is it operated on hot days due to the risk of overheating if it did break down. It's a unique transport system and an attraction in itself, but to expect the less mobile to rely on it to get around the park is unreasonable.

No one is expecting anything but the system makes traversing the park a lot easier for those who struggle. I don’t think it would class as disability discrimination not to operate it however as there is level access to all the areas that it serves.

You can plan your day on late openings to do the areas of the park that it serves prior to closure as well so not operating in the dark isn’t the end of the world.

There's the semi permanent sign on the gates, is there not? The Vault is presently sealed at this time, yadayadayada?

You can start a queue anywhere, all you need is two of you. In my gosling days I used to find it funny to stare up into the sky and make as though I could see something, watch as a small crowd gathers around and then slowly walk away, leaving quite a few people confused as to what they're looking for. I've done similar with fake queues too. Yes, I was a bored little twat.

I didn’t see anything on the gates or the doors - either the sign has gone or myself the other group waiting just didn’t see it

I didn’t see anything on the gates or the doors - either the sign has gone or myself the other group waiting just didn’t see it

Can confirm that the gates were closed yesterday with the closure sign in place.

And to bring it back to the most recent topic….buh-bye Retrosquad. Never rode you, never will, won’t miss ya.

Anyone on park today? Looks like round one of Storm Babet has turned up and the wind gusts (between 38-40mph according to the Met Office) have seen the coasters close. They're forecasted to get as high as 42mph before park close.

Anyone on park today? Looks like round one of Storm Babet has turned up and the wind gusts (between 38-40mph according to the Met Office) have seen the coasters close. They're forecasted to get as high as 42mph before park close.
I was there until just after 3 and didn’t see any rides go down for weather. Forecast was for about 35mph in the morning increasing to 40 in the evening

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.