• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[2023] The Curse at Alton Manor

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
By all means they can intend for a more goofy look, but Im not sure this clicks with that either. Of course they wouldnt have set out to do a dodgy job of it, so here's hoping it isn't finished yet.

but other than that, it essentially looks the same as before to me.
If you zoom in it has been completely painted over especially to the left side, which I imagine will look a lot more obvious in person up close.

I like the new look, and I'm not offended by the moss on the roof - I'm pretty sure in the Duel era, the house was supposed to have been very recently 'lived' in.

Perhaps the storyline now is that the house has been abandoned, unloved and dilapidated for some time, making the new look much more fitting.

I don't know why, but from what I'm getting from recent posts, many are starting to get cold feet on the ride being any good all thanks to colour of the outside...sounds like the Nemesis retrack in which many hated the new beast just for the track being black, even if I dare say that they effort in for the new theme might be even better but given recent track records likely that won't be the case.

I do want this to work just for the sake of Merlin getting something right for once which I can't remember when that ever happened, even Wicker Man as far as I remember had a silence I remember neither good or bad if I remember. If we get worked up over a bloody building being a slightly darker shade then I don't know who to blame either Merlin for a cheap job or us for wanting to bitch about something or perhaps both? Sad actually.

If we get worked up over a bloody building being a slightly darker shade then I don't know who to blame either Merlin for a cheap job or us for wanting to bitch about something or perhaps both? Sad actually.
Eh? It's just a discussion about a themed building in a theme park, by theme park fans, pretty normal going.
many are starting to get cold feet on the ride being any good all thanks to colour of the outside...sounds like the Nemesis retrack in which many hated the new beast just for the track being black
Who's this "many" judging the whole ride by a repainted exterior and who hated the Nemesis retrack (which hasnt been built yet) for being black?

Interesting looks like opinion is pretty evenly split.

Last edited:
The theme has always been this, there was no change to the exterior for Duel.

But the story of Duel was that the house was the current home of someone. It was lived in. I don't think HH ever really touched on the topic, so there was no 'change' to be made.

But as we may have now gone from "a scientist was literally living here yesterday" to "this is a dilapidated, abandoned manor in the woods", I think the changes make sense and look good

I personally really like the new façade as it looks darker and more intimidating. I personally don't like the older versions of the house as they looked empty and very fake, I think this may be because I'm used to the trees surrounding the house making it feel fuller and more like a manor in the woods. Also, at the end of the day, it doesn't matter.

On a non-facade related note; I’m wondering; what sort of changes could have happened to Gloomy Wood over the off-season?

For instance, do we think that the area’s central food outlet will reopen?

Or do we think that Spooks’R’Us could have been rethemed?

It certainly seems as though some work is happening on what used to be Nitrogenie, so I’m reckoning that it could well reopen in some capacity.

On a non-facade related note; I’m wondering; what sort of changes could have happened to Gloomy Wood over the off-season?

For instance, do we think that the area’s central food outlet will reopen?

Or do we think that Spooks’R’Us could have been rethemed?

It certainly seems as though some work is happening on what used to be Nitrogenie, so I’m reckoning that it could well reopen in some capacity.
The food outlet looks like one side has been painted white in one of the pictures posted, but I’m unsure

Everyone's favourite YouTuber mentions in his latest video from the park how from Katanga Canyon it appears that the gravestones had either been cleaned up or replaced in the old extended queueline.

No footage of it unfortunately so I won't bother with a link.
Ooh, it'll be interesting to see what's written in the new ones. I wonder if they'll add their funny deaths like the older gravestones had.

Everyone's favourite YouTuber mentions in his latest video from the park how from Katanga Canyon it appears that the gravestones had either been cleaned up or replaced in the old extended queueline.

No footage of it unfortunately so I won't bother with a link.
I've noticed that KC has been given some touch ups which I do appreciate...an area that has always needed some TLC IMO.
Ooh, it'll be interesting to see what's written in the new ones. I wonder if they'll add their funny deaths like the older gravestones had.
Funnily enough, I did suggest they do some more gravestones relating to past Alton Towers rides like the gravestone in the queue line for Vampire at Chessie referring to the Bubbleworks. Maybe they are doing the same here?

I've noticed that KC has been given some touch ups which I do appreciate...an area that has always needed some TLC IMO.

Funnily enough, I did suggest they do some more gravestones relating to past Alton Towers rides like the gravestone in the queue line for Vampire at Chessie referring to the Bubbleworks. Maybe they are doing the same here?
To be honest, I'd rather see original jokes rather than hints to past attractions in the graveyard.

I like the facade, which has been excellent from day one of the original Haunted House. It is one of the best pieces of theming at ATR so I'm gland they haven't messed with it too much, though removing / downsizing the crypt was the right decision.

As for new jokes... I don't think there are any in 2023.

Except maybe this one...

Got one of those new quantum computers from Argos, but I couldn't get it to work properly so I phoned the Quantum Computing Technical support line and they said "Have you tried switching it on and off at the same time!".

Sorry.... Exits to boos...

Nods to past attractions are fine until every reference becomes a past attraction. Then you just start alienating everyone that doesn't get the reference.
The old tongue-in-cheek style of jokes that everyone can get are better in most cases.
Although I'm sure having a joke about someone killed in a Duel could be humours and a nice nod to the old incarnation.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.