• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[2023] The Curse at Alton Manor

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Not too much though, or it'll look like the Scream duck... 😉
Actually, that gives me a creepy thought. @Trooper Looper will know more about the HH than me and that how the original swamp beast was removed because it didn't work, if they were to bring back old elements that didn't out the first time, the duck would be an unlikely yet terrifying thought if you saw that thing emerge from the swamp of doom looking all creepy as anything for a jump scare not too similar of what it did for the Flume and would be funny easter egg to the past! 😄

Off topic I know but I swear that if Towers had a pound for every time that duck scared everyone, they would have gotten the funds needed to fix the current flat ride problem!

I think dolls can be really creepy If done well. The video in the spy holes basically gave the game away that it was going to be linked in someway to Dolls too as mentioned above.

A lot will depend on the lighting and the audio as well as the scenes they add but I have very high hopes for this.

I think dolls can be really creepy If done well. The video in the spy holes basically gave the game away that it was going to be linked in someway to Dolls too as mentioned above.

A lot will depend on the lighting and the audio as well as the scenes they add but I have very high hopes for this.
It's Merlin, can we trust them to create a decent dark ride, even if it is just a refurb?

Personally, I definitely think that the doll's house theory sounds plausible. And to be honest, I really like the sound of it; it would be a totally different attraction in execution from both Duel and the HH, but not an overly drastic departure from the basic theme/concept.

I certainly have faith in Merlin to build a good dark ride myself.

Things like Jumanji The Adventure look excellent, and I personally quite like Gangsta Granny. Also, I'd argue that their track record with immersive attractions like Wicker Man instils some faith from my end.

For all its supposed flaws, even something like DBGT looks to have some elements of it that are pretty decent.

I'm sadly going to have to disagree with you there. Despite the theming, DBGT is the worst attraction I've ever been on. (coming from someone who's been on Turbo at Brighton!)
I was referring to things like the theming; sorry if that wasn't clear. I'm aware that DBGT as an overall package doesn't seem to land for most people, but I'd argue that from what I've seen of it, the theming looks excellent, which does instil some confidence in their ability to theme a dark ride.

With that being said, however, I have not done DBGT, so I am basing that entirely off of photos.

I'm sadly going to have to disagree with you there. Despite the theming, DBGT is the worst attraction I've ever been on. (coming from someone who's been on Turbo at Brighton!)
DBGT is a pretty good dark ride when it's running as it should be.

Anyway, going back on topic, Merlin have a very experienced team behind them now so I have a lot of faith in their ability to pull together a decent indoor attraction, especially with John Burton being Alton Towers' Creative Lead, he was responsible for Gangsta Granny and Jumanji: The Adventure.

Last edited:
That damn thing gave me nightmares, more so than Duel or Hex. Biggest jump scare Towers ever did for an attraction, and this video shows you how scary it, listen to the damn scream of terror though! 🤣

Imagine tart it up with some scary features and you have pure nightmare fuel there.

I rode that several times as the flume and I unlike most people never remember that duck moving

Now this could be interesting, during a discussion about the Emily Alton dolls house theory in a Discord server, a member who I'm pretty sure has inside knowledge teased about "innovative technology" being used to sell the idea of going into a tiny dolls house.

Screenshot_20221110-172309-915.png
If this was true (take it with a pinch of salt for now of course as it is speculation) what sort of "innovative technology" do we think it could be?
That conversation doesn't suggest or confirm anything.

No. It didn't suggest something in the usually accepted manner. It was just some random reply having a guess from a random person from a random website. You guys need to stop hero worshipping people who pull funny faces on Youtube. The internet is full of absolute bell-ends (like me, a bit), and you need to stop worshipping them.

First rule of the internet :

People on the Internet LIE

All the time. Anyone who is privy to specifics of the refurb would also be likely to lose their jobs if they shared said info. Anyone could make an account claiming they know XYZ because it makes them feel superior. To say “I speculate this may be the case” doesn’t get you the same imaginary internet points as “being in the know”

The haunted doll's house thing sounds like quite a cool concept to me to be honest (although it goes without saying that post needs to be taken with a huge pinch of salt).

I don't quite get the argument that the Emily Alton story is too niche. We always value original stories for rides over IPs and now that there's rumours of one people are saying it wouldnt be recognisable enough. If the storytelling was done well it could work fine I think. Plus the whole 'creepy ghost girl character' would be pretty easy to pick up for most passive guests à la Phantom Manor and the bride.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.