• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[2023] The Curse at Alton Manor

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Would anyone else like to see the ride have a more interesting name?

When you think about it neither of the rides past names have been great. Duel could have been used for any shooter ride and the Haunted House is as generic as you can get. I appreciate that was the point. The ride was designed as a supervised and modern Haunted House attraction. So the name worked. But now it is an old ride returning it to the old name would just make it feel old.

Assuming the theme stays consistent I'd love a more emotive name like Phantom Manor or Mystic Manor or the Shrieking Shack. Something that sounds intriguing when discovering it for the first time. Gloomy Wood and the Haunted Hollow already fit that style of naming.
Alton Manor? Something like that would work!

Whilst I am not in the camp of wanting the original HH restored as it was, it would be a nice nod to the past if they could get the ghost corridor effect installed in some way. Of course this wasn’t workable 30 years ago, but I am sure it is possible now.

If this just ends up being effectively a removal of all things Duel and a return to - with new and updated tech and scenes - the Haunted House, I can see it being called The Haunted House: Repossessed.
That would be a fantastic name! (Hope you're watching, Towers!)

The fact that they've been very clever with "rePOSSESSED" definitely indicates that the ghosts and ghouls are taking the house back from the zombies.

I'm actually really excited for this project. You don't get parks building new dark rides themed to a haunted houses much anymore so all the good ones we do have to ride tend to be bit on the older side which is a shame given the advances in technology.

I hope they invest an appropriate amount of money into it to give it the love it needs. John Wardley certainly seemed to indicate that might be the case so fingers crossed. Definitely potential to reclaim the title of best dark ride in the country if it's done well.

We've all got different reference points on these things and we should embrace it. Some of you are younger, and yes, you perhaps don't remember the earlier bits of the HH, but in 50 years' time you'll be alive and some of us (me included) will be dead, so you'll definitely get the last laugh (unless I return as a prop in the new HH, in which case I'll get the last laugh. I sort of look like one of the screaming heads)

But my salient point is - we've all got different references and experiences with these things - you do you amigo. We're all just nerds at the end of the day
Actually now you mention the idea of returning as a prop, I wonder if Towers over thr years got the request of scattering someone's ashes in the ride? Much like has Disney gets this request constantly for the Haunted Mansion yet refuse though it hasn't stopped some guests throwing ashes among sections of the ride.

I suspect someone in the last 30 years has done this and that's not including the fact that the land the ride sits on has a allegedly haunted past.
If this just ends up being effectively a removal of all things Duel and a return to - with new and updated tech and scenes - the Haunted House, I can see it being called The Haunted House: Repossessed.
Actually when you mentioned the Repossessed part, technically Towers have already done this with Duel as we all seem to forget the full name for the ride is 'Duel: the Haunted House Strikes Back' so the idea of using the term 'Repossessed' is not fat off and probably is a clue of what is to come giving what they are saying on the park map and the small signs around the attraction.

Now that I think about, given how that sign was saying 'this is my house' does all seem to indicate of the theme of the ride is one of the ghosts and demons all taking back control with perhaps Emily Alton being the finale villain for the ride?

Actually now you mention the idea of returning as a prop, I wonder if Towers over thr years got the request of scattering someone's ashes in the ride? Much like has Disney gets this request constantly for the Haunted Mansion yet refuse though it hasn't stopped some guests throwing ashes among sections of the ride.

I suspect someone in the last 30 years has done this and that's not including the fact that the land the ride sits on has a allegedly haunted past.

Actually when you mentioned the Repossessed part, technically Towers have already done this with Duel as we all seem to forget the full name for the ride is 'Duel: the Haunted House Strikes Back' so the idea of using the term 'Repossessed' is not fat off and probably is a clue of what is to come giving what they are saying on the park map and the small signs around the attraction.

Now that I think about, given how that sign was saying 'this is my house' does all seem to indicate of the theme of the ride is one of the ghosts and demons all taking back control with perhaps Emily Alton being the finale villain for the ride?
IF this is all they are doing (rather than changing it radically to something else) they've missed a trick here in not having a scare maze linked to the backstory of the new version, like they did with The Welcoming and The Sanctuary. But I guess as this isn't an SW, they deem it not necessary. Shame though!

Last edited:
Everybody keeps mentioning Emily Alton being a "main character" in the ride. I can't help think this is an incredibly unimaginative option out of all the material you could draw inspiration from.

This was a generic girl in a dress that existed for a 30 second gag in the preshow. It was a good effect because it was subtle and fleeting.

It would feel a bit overblown to thread a whole ride around this and youd have to basically create the character out of nothing — in which case why not just create a new character. The park Scarefest mascots are great characters for example

To my mind the best character inspiration in the ride is the huge ghoulish characteristic style you see in the original monsters.
Current year malarkey says we need more female representation so maybe having Emily in a major role is Towers' way of saying, "hey look, we're hip with a female lead with our ride's story!" Might sound silly but you'd be suprise at how many companies are doing this *cough*Disney*cough*.

I understand it might be a bit over the top however if done well it can work, maybe start of seeing her with the doll house scene as before and then have Emily appearing at many points during the ride in which her appearance gets more and more scary until we get to the finale and have her quite terrifying.

Anyway, another thought I might ask is what about the extended queueline in which given that they have cleared it up, wonder if that'll be seeing changes too? Looking at recent videos of it from closing day, it is rather bare with the gravestones being very few and maybe they might be thinking of adding more which could be little interactive features with guests or perhaps some of the writing on the gravestones could be amusing references to past Towers rises that could add to the Easter egg nods for the fans, actually Merlin could possibly poke fun at itself with one gravestone regarding DBGT saying that 'died for being too expensive.' :p

Granted, this is depending if the ride is ever going to see bigger queues on a regular basis as it probably won't be done if the ride is going to get walk on times as is now. Still, some tweaks and fixes to the queueline would be nice in all fairness.

Im sorry I just can’t get over the thought of scattering someone else’s ashes, inside a ghost train.

I did find the que line clear out rather premature? I mean unless it was just down to be done yet did seem rather odd in my view considering where we are now

So I made a quick sketch edit of the Rides Layouts on what I would change to the ride. Unmarked areas are just cleaned, and given heavy TLC, Yellow are Reimagined scenes, and red means a completely new scene.

In Terms of Emily being the main character, I also find it pretty boring and unimaginative. I'd rather have no main character, or a new character based off the Original HH style.

Attachments

• Haunted House preference alterations.jpg
    Haunted House preference alterations.jpg
    216.8 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
What's wrong with Graham Smart OG Score? IMAscore are good and all, but we don't really hear anyone else's type of music apart from theirs outside of Simon Allen, and they're starting to sound pretty generic to me.
I thought they may use IMA score, (they seem to on most high profile projects)but all the above are fantastic talents too.

Personally, I Iove every soundtrack The Haunted House / Duel has ever had, though I like some more than others.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.