• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[2023] The Curse at Alton Manor

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
The operator seems to be obeying the 400ft (120m) rule, which is good, although I wouldn't condemn them if they did break it.
That rule only applies in certain situations, as does the 50m rule. If your drone is below 250g, 50m rules for flying close to people do not apply. Even if the area is crowded. Alton Towers do not own the airspace or its rights above Alton Towers. Flying a drone over the park is perfectly legal providing the operator has followed the CAA rules, the same applies for any industrial, residential, recreation area or whatever

If your drone is below 250g, 50m rules for flying close to people do not apply.
The only decent drones I can think of that are under this weight are the DJI Mini series and the Autel Nano series. Therefore it is unlikely that the drone filming is sub 250g.
'Even if the area is crowded. Alton Towers do not own the airspace or its rights above Alton Towers. Flying a drone over the park is perfectly legal providing the operator has followed the CAA rules, the same applies for any industrial, residential, recreation area or whatever'
Thanks for reminding me! It's been a while since I revised for and passed the exam needed to be able to fly a drone (18 months). Haven't actually flown my drone in a while. Perhaps I need to again, and also to refresh my memory on UK drone laws.

Last edited:
A bit outside the box and would probably never happen for throughput reasons as much as anything else, but ever since I heard Wardley say that his issue with the Haunted Mansion ride system was that you could see the cars in front of you which removes the sense of isolation, I’ve always thought it would be cool to create a Haunted House where you are in a train/gondola alone.

Now and again I’ve been lucky and been on haunted dark rides alone and it definitely makes a difference to how you perceive the ride, it was also one of the main things with Sub Species that made it scary, when you got dragged off to a room by yourself.

A bit outside the box and would probably never happen for throughput reasons as much as anything else, but ever since I heard Wardley say that his issue with the Haunted Mansion ride system was that you could see the cars in front of you which removes the sense of isolation, I’ve always thought it would be cool to create a Haunted House where you are in a train/gondola alone.

Now and again I’ve been lucky and been on haunted dark rides alone and it definitely makes a difference to how you perceive the ride, it was also one of the main things with Sub Species that made it scary, when you got dragged off to a room by yourself.

Pretty sure on ATs Haunted House you rarely see the car in front of you? It’s significantly better than the Disney system and I think John did get what he wanted with this ride system.

Just tidying the front up would be fine, I don't think any work really needs doing to it from memory. The old NitroGenie hut needs to be removed or repurposed into another cafe/snack kiosk.

I did notice last night looking down the path towards Forbidden Valley from the Duel plaza that they are replacing the fence on both sides. Maybe doing something with the path too as I'm sure some of the block pavers were loose along there (would also explain why Lightopia isn't using this path this year):

1670861536284.png

What'd changes would you like to see for the facade or area as a whole to receive for next year?
I really hope any changes are something that we didn’t predict in any great detail here. Some of the suggestions - from giant house props to following Emily around the house - are realistically not going to be very good if they come to fruition. There’s a reason none of us are part of the creative team and I’ll be disappointed if what we get is something we could have come up with ourselves

Last edited:
I think that the area looks perfect as it is, although a repaint wouldn't go amiss.
Definitely. Would be nice if they removed all the ivy from the Facade, ooh, and a new tomb without a roof (Where the zombie wielding the blaster is)

I think the Gift Shop could do with a rebrand, but undoubtedly it will receive one. Hope they don't utilise the Pink paint they're potentially going to use to paint those buildings there.

In terms of Nitrogenie, I'd like to see that reused and repainted to suit the facade and area more instead of a dark purple.

That's a really interesting photo there @Steve74, ideally it'd be nice if they replaced the fencing with a cobblestone wall, extend the old feel of gloomy Woods just before Forbidden Valley.

Last edited:
Apologies for the double upload, but i think you guys would be interested in seeing this news.

I know a guy on Anther forum, and he recently Emailed JW about what's happening to The HH, what's staying and what's going!

At first, of course I thought we was lying, sounds a bit too overambitous from just an email...

Then he sent me the screenshots a few minutes later...

By golly John actually replied! Let me know your thoughts of this.

Credit to Theme Park Fanatic on Thorpe Park Mania!

Edit: censored their email adresses to keep them private and safe from bots.

Attachments

• 08EBB3D1-6DC3-426E-BE9C-3FA653683094.thumb.png.dc5f6dd11050eead8bf73048f3335514.png
    08EBB3D1-6DC3-426E-BE9C-3FA653683094.thumb.png.dc5f6dd11050eead8bf73048f3335514.png
    163.7 KB · Views: 92
  • 1C346B06-FA5E-4701-85EB-1A31EBDEC00D.thumb.jpeg.1677023cfb1f4b3b1dec350b396bfca8.jpeg.jpg
    1C346B06-FA5E-4701-85EB-1A31EBDEC00D.thumb.jpeg.1677023cfb1f4b3b1dec350b396bfca8.jpeg.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
Apologies for the double upload, but i thin kyou guys would be interested I seeing this news.

I know a guy on Anther forum, and he recently Emailed JW about what's happening to The HH, what's staying and what's going!

At first, of course I thought we was lying, sounds a bit too overambitous from just an email...

Then he sent me the screenshots a few minutes later...

By golly John actually replied! Let me know your thoughts of this.

Credit to Theme Park Fanatic on Thorpe Park Mania!
My main thought is that "everything you like and remember about the original Haunted House will remain" is a very open-ended phrase that could mean a number of things.

I know some will automatically take that to mean that all of the 1992 scenes are remaining (and that was indeed Theme Park Fanatic's conclusion over on TPM, by the looks of things), but my thought is that John is likely to be referring more to the general things that the original did well rather than specific scenes or animatronics.

We have already seen a great deal of props being removed from it (such as the Sinister Garden and the Tunnel of Doom), so my personal hunch is that John is referring to the ethos and well-liked attributes of the original being maintained rather than specific scenes.

I could be completely wrong, but that's just my opinion.

My main thought is that "everything you like and remember about the original Haunted House will remain" is a very open-ended phrase that could mean a number of things.

I know some will automatically take that to mean that all of the 1992 scenes are remaining (and that was indeed Theme Park Fanatic's conclusion over on TPM, by the looks of things), but my thought is that John is likely to be referring more to the general things that the original did well rather than specific scenes or animatronics.

We have already seen a great deal of props being removed from it (such as the Sinister Garden and the Tunnel of Doom), so my personal hunch is that John is referring to the ethos and well-liked attributes of the original being maintained rather than specific scenes.

I could be completely wrong, but that's just my opinion.
I have a feeling John is referring to a bit of both. The feel and a good amount of props and sets will survive and be refurbished back into that style, but more shall be added into the guttes scenes probably.

Whichever, I'm incredibly happy to know that the Original 1992 feel and style is highly likely to be revived for this new attraction!

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.