• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[2023] The Curse at Alton Manor

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Well, At least they've got potentially 3-5 millions pounds worth to do that. Surely high quality lighting wouldn't be too expensive for a budget like that, surely? If they're not adding scenes with props, at the very least they could drastically improve the lighting in there! That'll be the day.
🤣🤣🤣

Lighting is a VERY expencive game,which I think you may be underestimating a little.

Did you see the rotating lights stood on the boxes infront of the towers for fireworks? . . They are around £16k EACH to buy.

Obviously they do alot more than what would be needed in a dark ride, but you get the picture.

It's proper equipment that needs to be active every few seconds. . . for most of the day. . For most of the year. It needs to be reliable.

🤣🤣🤣

Lighting is a VERY expencive game,which I think you may be underestimating a little.

Did you see the rotating lights stood on the boxes infront of the towers for fireworks? . . They are around £16k EACH to buy.

Obviously they do alot more than what would be needed in a dark ride, but you get the picture.

It's proper equipment that needs to be active every few seconds. . . for most of the day. . For most of the year. It needs to be reliable.
Sorry, I was referring to the ambient light, the ones that would stay on all day. Definitely agree with you on the strobe lights, they would be expensive to run every ten seconds, on and off frequently, but I think Standard Blue UV LED lights of a decent quality would be a bit cheaper, right?

Sorry, I was referring to the ambient light, the ones that would stay on all day. Definitely agree with you on the strobe lights, they would be expensive to run every ten seconds, on and off frequently, but I think Standard Blue UV LED lights of a decent quality would be a bit cheaper, right?
Proper UV light isn't visible to the human eye, be it led or old tube lighting. .

The blue the old tube lights emmit is the way they worked, not the uv light they were emiting. . .so the blue colour is a bi-product technically.

I don't know if it's the same with led and they also emit "some" visible light or if they purely put out UV . .in which case you wouldn't even see it working unless pointed at a UV painted surface.

Cheaper yes. But still expensive. There are only a few UK based lighting companies that could do this job. And then sourcing the components from abroad is timely and expensive.

If the budget is to be £5m I'd say a fifth of that could be sent on high quality lighting across the attraction. (to include emergency lighting, etc, which may all need replacing if the ride changed route)

Cheaper yes. But still expensive. There are only a few UK based lighting companies that could do this job. And then sourcing the components from abroad is timely and expensive.

If the budget is to be £5m I'd say a fifth of that could be sent on high quality lighting across the attraction. (to include emergency lighting, etc, which may all need replacing if the ride changed route)
I wouldn't be surprised if the budget will pay quite bit for the lighting if the rides going to be more like the Original, the current lighting outlets just wouldn't do the job. Let's just hope that Duel will actually be a 'Dark' Ride this year.

And 100 instances of the same lazy joke. Not everyone interested in lighting or track colour, I don't care about coaster trains and throughputs but I dont go round commenting "get a life" to those people. It's all part of a theme park like it or not
I mainly think the difference is that there has literally been hundreds of replies stating the same thing about track colour or ride lighting, compared to the occasional comment about coaster trains and throughput. In all honesty I don't think people care about people discussing lighting or track colour, it's the repetitiveness that gets on people's nerves.

But yes, i'm sure that the new scenes will have new lighting packages to ensure they're lit to their fullest potential. The difference between a full refurb and the 2016 bodge job, is that new scenes are being specifically created and engineered (therefore lighting would've been included in the planning of said scenes), as opposed to Merlin just trying to find a way to shoehorn more economically friendly lighting solutions into ride scenes designed in the 90s.

With regards to the name now that we know it's going to be based on the Haunted House bit with a new story, my money is still on The Haunted House: Repossessed. Would fit perfectly in my opinion.
I don’t know… I reckon they might not include The Haunted House in the name at all.

Mark Fisher never said that it was based on the Haunted House per se, only that it was “more like the old Haunted House, but with a totally new story” or something along those lines.

On a side note, I reckon the name could potentially be a very interesting indicator of how different this ride will be from the two previous iterations. If it contains “The Haunted House”, I could see it being more similar (Duel, which reused most of the old scenery, was technically called Duel: The Haunted House Strikes Back), but if it doesn’t, I could see it being more different (as an entirely different name could potentially suggest that the park is seeking for the ride to be less closely tied to its predecessors).

I don’t know… I reckon they might not include The Haunted House in the name at all.

Mark Fisher never said that it was based on the Haunted House per se, only that it was “more like the old Haunted House, but with a totally new story” or something along those lines.

On a side note, I reckon the name could potentially be a very interesting indicator of how different this ride will be from the two previous iterations. If it contains “The Haunted House”, I could see it being more similar (Duel, which reused most of the old scenery, was technically called Duel: The Haunted House Strikes Back), but if it doesn’t, I could see it being more different (as an entirely different name could potentially suggest that the park is seeking for the ride to be less closely tied to its predecessors).
Sorry, maybe "inspired" is a better word to use.

That interview is so vague that it's impossible to take anything as confirmation that the storyline will be based on the original Haunted House. The full quote:
The Cheadle-born executive said: "We have shut the ride so that we can redo it. It will be more like the original Haunted House, with a completely new story. Some of the old Victorian techniques - the use of mirrors, for example - are still so good.

"The Merlin Magic Making team has been here and I'm excited about what they have planned. A lot of people fondly remember the old Haunted House and we think this is going to be huge."
More like the original Haunted House could just mean the removal of the targets and the guns and the return of a story not based on zombies. Even some of the most modern dark ride effects have their roots in Victorian techniques, it doesn't mean they're restoring what was there before. He even states it's a completely new story, so I wouldn't even bank on it even harking back to the initial incarnation.

What he's saying is so ambiguous it's impossible to draw anything from it really. All the interview/article is is a bit of a marketing teaser to get the refurbishment in the papers with nothing of much note within it.

I honestly wouldn’t be surprised if they based the theme on a haunted house rather than the Haunted House.

Maybe it’ll be named something like “Macabre Mansion”? (I don’t know why, but I’ve always loved the thought of that name for a spooky house ride!)

Or perhaps something relating to Alton Towers like “Alton Manor” or “Alton House”?

I wouldn't be opposed to the rename being "Property Repossessed" or maybe just even "Repossessed", but also like the more generic names @Matt N mentions like "Alton Manor" or "Alton House". Whatever it is, it needs to be more along the lines of 'creepy' than 'cringy', which Duel: The Haunted House Strikes Back! ended up being - sounds more like a superhero movie than a ghost train.

I honestly wouldn’t be surprised if they based the theme on a haunted house rather than the Haunted House.

Maybe it’ll be named something like “Macabre Mansion”? (I don’t know why, but I’ve always loved the thought of that name for a spooky house ride!)

Or perhaps something relating to Alton Towers like “Alton Manor” or “Alton House”?
I would like 'Alton Manor' instead of 'Alton House' in which the latter sounds like some wee B&B down the road from the park.

If they were play up the Towers connection, maybe you can incorporate things from the Towers themselves which you can have demon Talbot hounds like in thr location where the giant's fingers went through the window or maybe the Garden scene can be the location of the former Earls all glaring at you as you pass by.

Almost like Phantom Manor at DLP in a way in which you encounter a different and evil world from Frontierland. Granted you can say this idea has been done with Hex but it would be quite interesting to dig into that idea of local history.

Every time we get a tweet which may or may not be related to this ride, I become a little more concerned at what might end up in this thread 😅

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.