• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[2023] The Curse at Alton Manor

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
To add to the above, the path has always been there since the opening of Gloomy Wood. Back then the haunted hollow was still the park railway and the station was located between the current site of the 4 gravestones and the FV skyride station. The railway closed in the mid-late 90s and the path from GW to FV closed a couple of years later (disappearing from the park map in 2000). By that point the path served little purpose - it was just a slower route from GW to FV.

The path reappeared on the park map in 2017, I think this mainly due to the closure of the path to Katanga during WM construction and having an additional route to FV made more sense. It has the bonus of making navigating the park at night much easier - without it open the only route to FV after dark was through GW, a very long way round if coming from XS/DF - I remember one year running from Smiler to Nemesis at about 8.50 post-fireworks and having to go via Duel.

Toyland Tours' problem was that it felt rather cut off from the rest of the area the moment Coaster Corner was closed which ultimately led to its demise

Not the case. In fact I'd say in my opinion the opposite was true. Toyland Tours felt very much part of The Land of Make Believe and was it's star attraction. As did the Talbot restaurant. The mess you see now is not how it was even a few years ago when Charlie closed. That area until recent years never felt cut-off. It's still very clearly 1 area that they've tried to haphazardly carve up with picket fences and planters.

Not the case. In fact I'd say in my opinion the opposite was true. Toyland Tours felt very much part of The Land of Make Believe and was it's star attraction. As did the Talbot restaurant. The mess you see now is not how it was even a few years ago when Charlie closed. That area until recent years never felt cut-off. It's still very clearly 1 area that they've tried to haphazardly carve up with picket fences and planters.
True, but I do personally from looking at archive photos of the area during its 80 days era, the area did seem a little fuller then with buildings on either side E.G Dooms and Son, and the attraction entrance blended in better IMO.

I just hope that Project Horizon's plaza area will finally sort out the problem out there though I have no doubt the Dungeons building will be used for a future dark ride to (hopefully) be themed alongside it unlike so many other attractions on the park *cough*Wickerman and Rita*cough*.

Anyway, back on topic with Duel...

It went because it was a bit knackered and an obvious candidate host for the desired IP, which was chosen based on the film release around the same time. The fact it operated right up to its mid-season closure in an era when cost cutting was rife and attractions were SBNO left, right and centre tells its own tale. Indeed half of Cred Street was closed completely in 2004 as a cost cutting measure, but not Toyland Tours.
Exactly, Cred Street's dwindling lack of investment as the years went on was the main driver for Toyland Tour's closure, not the rides inaccessibility. And the same goes to Charlie. Putting an out of place Dungeon in that spot has done nothing to draw new people in, and low RTP capex under Merlin in recent years has ensured that the area stays quiet and disused.

The same is true to a lesser extent for the areas surrounding Haunted House, which are still basically woodland walks or, in Haunted Hallow's case, a few small scale props placed here and there. Wasn't the demon statue taken out of the Tooley Street dungeon when it shut? If some significant work was put in to those areas and walkways, that area of the park and its ability to attract more guests (beyond being used as a walkway) would surely also improve. Broomstick coaster was shelved, but I'm sure *something* there could work, even if it doesn't take the form of an attraction. Could make the area in to a small parish village. No mass land clearance or tree clearance needed, just a few small buildings around the walkway to make it look like Haunted House is sat by a nearby town. Given how crowded the costa in FV gets, I'd say there could be room for an outlet in that space too.
Obviously if this was to happen it would be subject to planning laws, but I can't see too many issues or (potential) objections beyond due process so long as it's small scale. I think it would be a good idea, personally, alongside the wider rework of Duel. Just an idea to throw around

Last edited:
Animated GIF

Yep, we're in closed season alright.

FB_IMG_1668700361513.jpgI'm sure it's probably already been mentioned but Merlin seem to be interested in using more big IP's this being one of the reasons when picking the new CEO.

as we've already seen with Jumanji at Chessington which is a big IP in itself so will be interesting if we'll be seeing a original theme or IP with the duel refurb.

My guess is we'll probably be seeing this attraction return to the haunted house but just a new modern fresh take to the attraction and probably see more IP's across the board further down the line for all Merlin parks.

My guess is we'll probably be seeing this attraction return to the haunted house but just a new modern fresh take to the attraction and probably see more IP's across the board further down the line for all Merlin parks.

Doesn't just mean at the theme parks. Merlin also manages a lot of attractions, they will be taking over managing Cadbury World for example. That is more the sort of thing they mean with being a partner bringing brands to life.

Doesn't just mean at the theme parks. Merlin also manages a lot of attractions, they will be taking over managing Cadbury World for example. That is more the sort of thing they mean with being a partner bringing brands to life.
That's very true, didn't think about that

Merlin seem to be interested in using more big IP's this being one of the reasons when picking the new CEO.

I think you might be looking at this backwards. The Merlin brands and IP are what he will be charged with bringing to life; Lego, dungeons, sealife, etc etc, spreading those around the world. Not to say they won't also be acquiring the rights to other IPs too, but I don't think this is stated with a direct intent to cram new IPs into specific existing properties.

Hope Project horizon won't be an IP.

Anyhow, back to Duel. I'm still very certain that if JW is involved, I'm sure he'll leave something for those fans that rode it back in 92.

Let's hope they'll start auctioning props next year if they are stripping a good 70% of it!! Would love to have one of the screaming heads installed on my wall XD

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.