• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[2023] The Curse at Alton Manor

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
As long as the facade will actually be fully visible in this new variation of the ride, that'll make me happy about the facade! The only way before to get a full view of it was near the ends of the house since the crypt always blocked the view from the front and felt crammed in.

More of this type of view:
hauntedhouse04.jpg

And less of this type:
46821310345_7d05ff0bde_c.jpg

It's a nice thought.

As long as the facade will actually be fully visible in this new variation of the ride, that'll make me happy about the facade! The only way before to get a full view of it was near the ends of the house since the crypt always blocked the view from the front and felt crammed in.

More of this type of view:
hauntedhouse04.jpg

And less of this type:
46821310345_7d05ff0bde_c.jpg

It's a nice thought.
Just realised that the crypt there is pretty much the Towers answer of the giant Mickey wand on the side of the Epcot Spaceship Earth exterior that Disney fans had their own negative views on it in how it ruins the view of the building.

If we must post videos in this thread, could we please ensure that they are of a reasonable standard and actually add something tangible to the discussion? And no - 15 second vertical videos with text-to-speech narration and blurry drone footage of a skip doesn't count as that. Thanks.

Why does everyone hate the Crypt? I can think of a million more things to criticise about Duel before menting the crypt. I thought it actually added to the area myself. It was additional theming and took nothing away. Bearing in mind I've actually physically been in Gloomy Wood before and after its addition.

Why does everyone hate the Crypt? I can think of a million more things to criticise about Duel before menting the crypt. I thought it actually added to the area myself. It was additional theming and took nothing away. Bearing in mind I've actually physically been in Gloomy Wood before and after its addition.

It's a good bit of themeing but unnecessary. Everything you need to build an atmosphere is in that facade.

Themeing shouldn't be there for the sake of it. AT do this a lot. Take the Galactica portal for instance

It's a good bit of themeing but unnecessary. Everything you need to build an atmosphere is in that facade.

Themeing shouldn't be there for the sake of it. AT do this a lot. Take the Galactica portal for instance
It wasn’t unnecessary for Duel as the facade didn’t tell you anything about the ride contained inside. For the Haunted House that was fine, the facade shows it’s a house that’s haunted. But for Duel a zombie with a laser gun tells more about the new ride. Of course we don’t know what this version three will be.

Why does everyone hate the Crypt? I can think of a million more things to criticise about Duel before menting the crypt. I thought it actually added to the area myself. It was additional theming and took nothing away.
I never liked it, it was very tasteless. The stiff plastic zombie with a gun and the goofy 'Halloweeny' look.

The original idea of a tomb was much simpler, we didn't need to see the corpse bursting out of it. It screamed "dated ride — don't come in" even in 2003

I also think it did take away from the view of the house

I agree that the naff zombie with the laser gun needs to be retired as it looks like a B&M Bargains Halloween decoration. But I can still see the house exterior perfectly well and I don't think removing yet more theming from Towers is a good idea.

I know opinions will differ on it and some will genuinely not like it based on, oh I dunno, actually being born before the turn of the millennium and having ridden HH. But are all of us sure this isn't a way of inserting the repetitive 'everything about Duel = bad, everything about HH = good' stuff back in to this thread by the back door?

What could be a viable alternative would be to just remove the zombie from it and leave the crypt in position and add some nice lighting and smoke effects (there may have been some in the past I believe). It then isn’t jarring and too distant from what may be the new theme of the ride.

As someone who rode the HH. I quite like the Crypt too. I mean it doesn't really block much view of the Haunted House.

Realisticly it only blocks a small part of it if you stand back to take a photo, which is a very small amount of guests. You still get the same imposing view of the house as you walk into Gloomy Wood like you always have.

Get rid of just the zombie and keep the Crypt.

But are all of us sure this isn't a way of inserting the repetitive 'everything about Duel = bad, everything about HH = good' stuff back in to this thread by the back door?
No, I much prefer the replacement portraits added in Duel than the originals. Are you sure this isn't just a simple difference of opinion? The crypt roof thing would be better off moved to the queueline than shoved in front of the house, much more fitting there.
You still get the same imposing view of the house as you walk into Gloomy Wood like you always have.
Except with a roof awkwardly in front as you walk in from Katanga

The only reason the roof was added is to better cover the zombie, remove the zombie you have a pointless void under a roof. The simple tomb with the ride name was a much nicer touch for me

Last edited by a moderator:
I also much prefer Duel's portraits over the HH's. I didn't mind the crypt, although the zombie is quite tacky. Said zombie did inform the GP of what type of ride it was going to be though, which was a positive.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.