• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2023: The Curse at Alton Manor

Had Bubbleworks not been screwed about by Chessie and had mearly just been tweaked for modern standards then it would have been top of the pile hands down.
The decline of Bubbleworks is very sad, but, although I never experienced it in the Professor Burp form, I don't think that it would be the best dark ride in the UK in 2023.

I’m not someone that cares too much about screens and projection mapping, but i’m so glad this was done as a physical piece of theming, it’s ridiculously impressive. The detail, the size - everything about it is gorgeous! 😍

It is an incredibly impressive and impactful final scare; it made me jump out of my skin when I rode, and it definitely ends the ride with a bang, in my view!

To be honest, it's probably one of the most impressive effects in the ride for me, alongside the mirror corridor and the Trommel Tunnel.

Guys. Tell me off if you want, but would anyone be willing to…

Take a picture of the hide and seek scene!

WITH FLASH!

Shocking I know, I’m just mega curious if the zombies are still there

WITH FLASH!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-07-11-20-34-04-10_a63b0f8076346d26cbdc1b971a1da2a7.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-07-11-20-34-04-10_a63b0f8076346d26cbdc1b971a1da2a7.jpg
    251.7 KB · Views: 62
There's nothing there apart from the old themed walls, you can see pretty clearly if the roof vents are fully open

WITH FLASH!

The only thing there are the windows where the giants fingers/cloaked demons used to lean forward. The props themselves are now gone.

Incidentally I recently noticed that just prior to the hide and seek ‘scene’ next to the Emily figure holding a candle, there is a small version of her ‘perfect family’ (seen after hide and seek in bigger form) on the table next to her. Kind of adds more confusion to the shrinking narrative throughout the ride but I thought it was a nice touch.

Last edited:
The only thing there are the windows where the giants fingers/cloaked demons used to lean forward. The props themselves are now gone.

Incidentally I recently noticed that just prior to the hide and seek ‘scene’ next to the Emily figure holding a candle, there is a small version of her ‘perfect family’ (seen after hide and seek in bigger form) on the table next to her. Kind of adds more confusion to the shrinking narrative throughout the ride but I thought it was a nice touch.
I suppose I could of told someone to stock up on carrots before you entered….

Last edited:

WITH FLASH!

Or don't. Because it ruins the ride experience for other, and they will play the no cameras announcement which again can have a negative impact on the ride experience.

Anyway as said above, there's nothing exciting to see there.

I honestly feel they will scrap the “no phone announcements” after the first year, now Merlin Magic have realised the finale spoiler. I believe It’s just to contain the hype as we now have a generation that will prefer to watch the POVs than actually experience the ride in person. Feel it’s a good business strategy for the first year maybe 2, get guests through the gates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I honestly feel they will scrap the “no phone announcements” after the first year, now Merlin Magic have realised the finale spoiler. I believe It’s just to contain the hype as we now have a generation that will prefer to watch the POVs than actually experience the ride in person. Feel it’s a good business strategy for the first year maybe 2, get guests through the gates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yesterday, a woman went on quite a rant at guests over the tannoy for recording and went quite OTT at them, I was glad I wasn't on the ride at that point because it would have ruined it, honestly unless they have flash on I don't see the big deal, there's already POV's out there so it makes no difference.

I am fine with POVs if the recorder has their screen to the lowest possible brightness, and they do not use flash.

Yesterday, a woman went on quite a rant at guests over the tannoy for recording and went quite OTT at them, I was glad I wasn't on the ride at that point because it would have ruined it, honestly unless they have flash on I don't see the big deal, there's already POV's out there so it makes no difference.
I think ultimately its down to safety rather than keeping things secret. Someone drops their phone then there's the whole shutting the ride down to retrieve it (for safety rather than to return it to the guest) as the phone could easily fall under the cars and rest against the track disturbing sensors and the like. Then you've got the Insta generation who will insist on taking selfies everywhere - imagine them holding their phones out at arms lengths only to get it knocked out of their hands by a close-by prop.

Yes I know Disney allow it, but if Towers allow it on one ride, it'll creep into others, the question "Well you allow it on The Curse, why not on the Rapids or Sub Terror?" will be heard and would cause confusion as to where you can film onride and where you can't. Just disallow it everywhere and enjoy the ride with your own eyes as the ride designers intended it to be rather than through a bloody phone screen!!

Last edited: