• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2023: The Curse at Alton Manor

So do we think there be any changes for scarefest?

Reasonable expectations would be to continue the actor presence and if they are feeling brave, reintroduce the butler character from Duel: Live! Have him batch you into the house like he used to.

This would be more appropriate for the Scarefest discussion however I do think it would be a pretty easy move to rebrand The Attic into an Emily storyline too. Given that Emily's ghostly transformation occurs in the attic of the manor.

Is the pre show currently broken? I only say because all the UV writing above the fireplace is constantly illuminated and I feel like it isn’t supposed to be…

I’ve heard rumours that Merlin’s new CEO has given extra budget to curse at Alton manor. I wouldn’t 100% trust it, but it is conversation!
If you're going to post something like this, can you please at least give some indication to the source of said rumours. Anyone can say they've heard a rumour, but without knowing where it has come from it is impossible to give it any meaningful merit.

If you're going to post something like this, can you please at least give some indication to the source of said rumours. Anyone can say they've heard a rumour, but without knowing where it has come from it is impossible to give it any meaningful merit.
Lift Hills and Thrills mentions in this video, based on 4 sources that something is happening with The Curse and at 3:30, he says that there are murmerings that MMM have signed off on some extra budget:

Still only rumours though and nothing concrete.

Last edited:
Would be interesting to see if any major changes are made / if any new scenes are added next season. Definitely seems like a lot of cash is being pumped into Towers' attractions at the moment, which is nice to see. I swear I saw somewhere too that there's 'more to come' with TCaAM, but for the life of me can't remember where I saw it.

They had a screen for guest feedback at the end of the ride, so would make a lot of sense to improve parts over the closed season.

Wow Sub terror, The curse, Nemeses and project horizon happening next season. No wonder why the events/Halloween budget have been cut short. Which I don’t actually mind if they are investing and putting more life into the park as a long term strategy.

My glass is slowly becoming “half full” for permanent flats after Project horizon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Honestly it really needed a much bigger budget in the first place. Really disappointing considering the other dark rides in the UK and this is supposed to be the UK's premier theme park.

Honestly it really needed a much bigger budget in the first place. Really disappointing considering the other dark rides in the UK and this is supposed to be the UK's premier theme park.
I can only really think of Hex & Valhalla as other still existing good dark rides in the UK, maybe River Caves if they spruce it up and I've never been on Spirit of London but that looks decent as well. I really like what they did with Curse and it shows original IP dark rides can still be a great success in the UK.

Last edited:

Think your the minority here. Everyone I know thinks it’s an amazing uk dark ride, which other dark rides are you comparing this to in the uk?

I actually can’t think of other dark rides in the uk that use good peppers ghost affects, projection mapping, mirror illusions, giant props, detailed sets etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Regarding this rumoured extra budget, John Wardley has mentioned a number of times over the years that the original plan for the HH was to add new effects in the first 5 years so that returning guests always found something new when re-riding. In fact I think he mentioned this in his one and only Towers St post.

In the event the powers that be didn’t cough up the cash for the extra effects and nothing new was added.

I have no idea if this rumour for more budget for Curse has any truth to it, but if it does - perhaps this is a return to that concept? Add something new each year to keep things fresh.

Is there any chance that they could be adding a minor new effect to the ride?
Possibly but I'm not sure, digging a bit further online someone has actually said it closed a couple of hours early yesterday and has remained shut all day.