• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2023: The Curse at Alton Manor

I feel like I want to ride it again before forming an opinion. We kept stopping mid ride which was followed by long periods of blackness.

Have stoppages been fairly common today ? Assume so.

Incoming review: HUGE SPOILERS

just ridden it. The outside/exterior is fantastic!! The indoor queue hasn't changed a whole lot outside of the dolls house and lighting. Much darker though. Now, onto the ride. I must say... I'm a bit disappointed... the poltergeistroom is still there and is integrated well! The grand Hall IMO, really was a downgrade. No flying drmons of moving props 😭, just a projection of Emily alton at the end of the room, then, The trommel section. ITS WORKING!!! No face for it thought, just a black Wall. Then the giant's lair, just a room in darkness and a static giant hand above you before the hall of spider. Thankfully, the hall of sliders is a really good upgrade, the giant spider is still there, along with a few new smaller spiders that jump out at you. The ghost corridor was okay, nice felt with the mvong car and the mirror, then jumpscared by a doll figure. The screaming heads scene is a bit bland, the head props are different, and only 2 of the heads are there. Now, the garden scene, mixed feelings, undertaker is gone, the hearse does nothing, no moving wheel of peppers ghost effect. Lunatic mechanic is replaced by, you guessed it, a doll... the grim reaper is replaced by a little girl I think, but column ghost is gone unfortunately, replaced by nothing... the final is nice, with weird looking toys put about, with a big favr of emily trying to grab you, though not in the gargoyles mouth. All in all, in not impressed. Maybe ts me, but projection just don't do it for me over giant moving props.
You are completely wrong. Did you even ride this?

Please go back on and educate yourself on the actual changes to this ride.

Edit: This was harsh on you, My point is that you’ve mentioned certain things that don’t align with the actual experience.

It seems you’ve gone in with the mindset that it’s not the Haunted House so it can’t compare.

You’re entitled to your opinion, just as much as I’m entitled to call you out on it not seeming to make sense.

Last edited:
You are completely wrong. Did you even ride this?

Please go back on and educate yourself on the actual changes to this ride.

People are allowed differences of opinions…

From what he’s described it sounds like it will be up my street though, I’ve always thought less is more.

Loved the original haunted house but I think you get more in terms of scare from the fear of what you’re about to see, rather than what you do see.

I’m glad to hear that initial reviews of the ride are mostly really positive! Everything I’ve seen of the exterior looks really good, and while I haven’t read any overly detailed takes on the ride itself, people seem to mostly be liking it so far! It certainly makes me excited to ride it for myself next week!

Out of interest; without getting too spoilerific, how much has actually changed in there? Is it mostly the same scenery and scenes as before (aka Duel sans the blasters), or has it been quite a drastic change? Or is it somewhere in between?

Incoming review: HUGE SPOILERS

just ridden it. The outside/exterior is fantastic!! The indoor queue hasn't changed a whole lot outside of the dolls house and lighting. Much darker though. Now, onto the ride. I must say... I'm a bit disappointed... the poltergeistroom is still there and is integrated well! The grand Hall IMO, really was a downgrade. No flying drmons of moving props 😭, just a projection of Emily alton at the end of the room, then, The trommel section. ITS WORKING!!! No face for it thought, just a black Wall. Then the giant's lair, just a room in darkness and a static giant hand above you before the hall of spider. Thankfully, the hall of sliders is a really good upgrade, the giant spider is still there, along with a few new smaller spiders that jump out at you. The ghost corridor was okay, nice felt with the mvong car and the mirror, then jumpscared by a doll figure. The screaming heads scene is a bit bland, the head props are different, and only 2 of the heads are there. Now, the garden scene, mixed feelings, undertaker is gone, the hearse does nothing, no moving wheel of peppers ghost effect. Lunatic mechanic is replaced by, you guessed it, a doll... the grim reaper is replaced by a little girl I think, but column ghost is gone unfortunately, replaced by nothing... the final is nice, with weird looking toys put about, with a big favr of emily trying to grab you, though not in the gargoyles mouth. All in all, in not impressed. Maybe ts me, but projection just don't do it for me over giant moving props.
so no flying demon? So what’s the point of the mirrors. I wonder if they’re still there? Anyway, I could imagine changes will be coming. Dark rides take time like that

out of curiosity is the preshow just continuously rolling or do you get batched into a group and it plays from the beginning similar to wickerman

out of curiosity is the preshow just continuously rolling or do you get batched into a group and it plays from the beginning similar to wickerman
From what I gather, I think it’s continuously rolling.[/QUOTE]

Judging from a dodgy POV alone there's certainly some room for improvement. Lots of new bits and pieces added in which look good though.

Haunted House purists more likely to be saddened by things not existing anymore. It depends what expectations you go in with (and why I am often very much a rip it all out and start again type person).

Dark rides though endure numerous tweaks. This will likely be no different, especially if things (like in 1992) didn't work as expected.

Judging from a dodgy POV alone there's certainly some room for improvement. Lots of new bits and pieces added in which look good though.

Haunted House purists more likely to be saddened by things not existing anymore. It depends what expectations you go in with (and why I am often very much a rip it all out and start again type person).

Dark rides though endure numerous tweaks. This will likely be no different, especially if things (like in 1992) didn't work as expected.
Blimey, there are POVs already?

The ride has only been open for 2-3 hours; there are clearly some very quick editors and uploaders about!

How on earth can an opinion be wrong? If @Trooper Looper doesn't like it, that's totally fine.
It's not that his opinion is right or wrong but @Trooper Looper has seemingly purposefully missed out changes (eg. Saying something is missing when it's actually been replaced with something new) and some of his comments about what is or isn't there are factually incorrect.

Presumably exaggeration to make it fit his narrative of if it's not the haunted house then it's rubbish.

Does overall look good. It is slightly difficult to tell on a recording but there does seem to be a fair few very dark rooms. I can only guess those areas are waiting for extra theming and lighting.