• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2023: The Curse at Alton Manor

Regarding the dark themes at the park, I agree there are too many of them though let's face it, if we had more 'light' themes as in Dark Forest was never a thing or if we never had thr Dungeons on site, then I don't think we'd be having this argument.

I can see what the park is trying to do with its now, somewhat, increased dark ride offering if we include Hex into the mix in which GG is a pure family ride, Alton Manor and Hex are for a more older family market and finally Sub Terra is for an older crowd so bottom line they have dark rides that appeal to certain audiences.

That would be all good except GG isn't really a headline attraction and works better as a support/filler ride, Hex is MIA and Sub Terra has got its own problems that have been said before many times already with Alton Manor the only one holding the dark ride list on its back during this time. If they were to have two more dark rides say in either the Dungeons or Nickelodeon building that one or both have a family theme to them then you could help balance out the light and dark themes though the latter is based on what theme is in mind for Project Horizons but that is another topic of discussion.

Apologies if this has been mentioned but has the peppers ghost of Emily slightly changed on the hearse? Watched an updated pov and it didn't look as lame as it did before (in person). Also noticed the new lightning strike above the hearse as well, which was quite nice.

Apologies if this has been mentioned but has the peppers ghost of Emily slightly changed on the hearse? Watched an updated pov and it didn't look as lame as it did before (in person).
Yup, the original hearse video had her springing up quite fast with that stop motion-esque movement complete with a clicking sound. She then "screamed" with a purple smoke effect coming out. It always triggered a little too slowly.

Recent runs on the ride had her rising up slower without the clicking sound then hissing before lying back down at the faster speed.

Given the successful rise of "mascot horror" in gaming (soon to reach a precipice this year with the release of the FNAF film, though that is a 15 apparently), kids clearly have a higher tolerance to scares that those who his behind the sofa due to Daleks.

The problem currently is that the park is getting darker in theme as a whole. Though maybe Horizon will see something a bit more colourful.

I think the issue surrounding darker themes is when an attraction or area is rethemed from something ‘light and fun’ to darker such as:

UG Land > Dark Forest
Charlie > Dungeons
Flume > Wickerman

Individually it might not be an issue, and sometimes significantly improves the quality of an area (such as with Wickerman), but when you take a step back it does become stark that only the ‘kiddie’ parts of the dark are the lighter themes.

Then again, the whole place exists because there is a huge Gothic Revival mansion in ruins at the heart of the park - so it’s perhaps no surprise it lends itself well to darker themes.

Anyway, Curse was a ‘dark theme’ from 1992 so this is hardly one of those cases of something switching from happy clappy to dark and dingy in the way other parks of the park have gone.

I think it strikes a balance well between spooky and family friendly (as have the other iterations of the ride).

Apologies if this has been mentioned but has the peppers ghost of Emily slightly changed on the hearse? Watched an updated pov and it didn't look as lame as it did before (in person). Also noticed the new lightning strike above the hearse as well, which was quite nice.
There's 2 variations you can get and it's random. Like the different mirror screen effects

I actually quite enjoy the voiceover aspect to it. Also the voice sounds very familiar, It’s not the same bloke as Hex is it?