• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2024: General Discussion

Unless I'm mistaken (not exactly tuned into how school holidays work), this half term is staggered, so some council groups will break up, others won't. It'll probably be busy, but quieter than the week after - but it's hard to say for certain.

Unless I'm mistaken (not exactly tuned into how school holidays work), this half term is staggered, so some council groups will break up, others won't. It'll probably be busy, but quieter than the week after - but it's hard to say for certain.
Throw in that Easter is early, so some will break for the weekend, return for a week and then have the holidays too. Oh and, usual friendly reminder, Academies can have their holidays whenever they want and ignore local education authority (council) holiday windows.

Re Crowd Calendar: Easter is a moveable feast, so are the holidays that surround it, so I would not expect Crowd Calendar to be able to get an accurate picture of this time of year.

Favourite schooly nit pick.
This is not half term.
It is Easter...End of term!
Academies have a free choice when to close their school, not tied to the council, most schools are off for the next two weeks, some religious schools will not close until Maundy Thursday, the day before Good Friday, and they go back a week later than the rest.
Not as clear cut as they used to be, school holidays.
In short, this year, three weeks of holidays from this weekend.

some religious schools will not close until Maundy Thursday, the day before Good Friday, and they go back a week later than the rest.
Always used to confuse me that my catholic school never gave us much time off to be holy round Easter and christmas.

Personally, I'd be more concerned about when the next ... "family day" ... is planned.

I'm looking at going on the 17-18th April. Midweek after the 3 Easter Weeks have finished. Should be quiet so I can get a good 10 re-rides in.

I would assume they don't want people waving phones and cameras about... and inevitably dropping them... when high up.

Apparently it was to stop it from ruining the experience for others, I assume the same reason they don’t allow on ride cameras etc.

Apparently they weren’t allowing people on the ground to take photos of people on the climb.

Whatever the reason was they should have made it clear is the point.

It’s stupid, they’ll inevitably renege on it because it’s stupid. As they’ll have to spell out in the t&cs this is the case and they’ll realise how stupid it is.

I give it less than a week

It’s stupid, they’ll inevitably renege on it because it’s stupid. As they’ll have to spell out in the t&cs this is the case and they’ll realise how stupid it is.

I give it less than a week
*ahem*
Oblivion

You are free to take photos and videos up until the track walk commences, including inside the station. All phones, video recording devices and valuable items will need to be locked in a secure location for the duration of the track walk. Our VIP hosts will be taking photos at specific points on the walk that will be sent to you via email after your experience. In order to preserve excitement for our other track walk guests we ask that no filming happens when the track walk takes place (including spectators).

Wicker Man

You are free to take photos and video up until the Track Walk commences, including inside the station. One person per group can take their phone on the track walk using a lanyard that will be provided. There will be specific points during the track walk where you will be able to take photos. All other phones and valuable items will be locked in a secure location for the duration of the Track Walk. In order to preserve excitement for our other track walk guests we ask that no filming happens when the track walk takes place (including spectators).

So to clarify, one person in your group can take photos on Wicker Man. On Oblivion a staff member will take photos for you. I guarantee that this will be down to insurance purposes. Most vloggers certainly won't have the level of public indemnity insurance they should do for filming on an attraction like this.

This fuss was started by a vlogger, who shall remain unnamed, who was a bit salty that they couldn't record the experience for their channel (and monetise the hell out of the experience). They weren't completely honest, or forthcoming, with what can and couldn't be captured, or really the reasons why.

Right to a private life and a reasonable expectation of privacy, when taking part in an experience on private property, and all that. That one is pretty clear, enshrined in law in fact.
IANAL but I think it would be quite a stretch to try and apply "right to a private life/reasonable expectation of privacy" to one of these events. Its a public event, anyone can buy tickets (albeit in limited numbers). It doesn't seem any different to how (as far as the law is concerned) you're perfectly entitled to take pictures of people on the rides or around the park without their permission, because a reasonable person would not expect much privacy in a theme park. (Places like toilets being an exception, because a reasonable person would have an expectation of privacy in that situation)

Thats all irrelevant of course, because the park are fully entitled to set their own rules.

To be fair I think they have a right to be annoyed, the bit on the website about photos and cameras was only added today I believe. It certainly wasn’t there when it was launched and those who booked it.

I’m not doing it, but if I was I would expect to be able to take my own photos and videos of my experience, even if I wasn’t a blogger just to put it on my fb and stuff.

Seems like it’s been pretty badly organised and feels to me like marketing just wanted to make some cash, so did this vip thing but didn’t really go through the rides team or anything else

Watching a vlog earlier they said they didn’t even have any health and safety briefing or even sign a form like you do with other lift hill walks.

I can see why it's there though. If I did the track walk and there was somebody ahead of me waving a selfie stick around and talking incessantly it would detract from the experience. Live in the moment

They could have added this restriction based on guest feedback (or indeed staff feedback) after doing the first few of them.

I can see why it's there though. If I did the track walk and there was somebody ahead of me waving a selfie stick around and talking incessantly it would detract from the experience. Live in the moment

They could have added this restriction based on guest feedback (or indeed staff feedback) after doing the first few of them.
I 100% agree with you here, however I assume that the rule will be there for one of two reasons. Someone has done a risk assessment and would have rated dropping personal devices as a medium or high risk, OR Towers plans to sell photo opportunities at the top.

If it is the former, there are work arounds. Having a requirement that phones can be used for pictures if secured in a lanyard pouch (and only used when stood still and at the direction of staff.

I do feel that in this day and age there is an expectation to be able to record experiences. BPB allow photography on the Big One walk and don't have issues. This is why I am being edged towards the thought that Towers are planning paid-for photo ops.

We did the Sydney Harbour Bridge climb and that has a no cameras/phones while climbing rule due to the risk of dropping them onto traffic below, in fact anything needs to be strapped to you including sunglasses.

But in this case I don’t see the problem with Wickerman as there is no one below and on Oblivion they could even just rope off the area below and allow cameras with lanyards. No filming does make some sense though, having a vlogger in front of you would ruin the experience.