• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2024: General Discussion

It's a little surprising given that Thorpe Park allows people to take photos at the top of the lift walks (with a phone that is secured). BPB originally (2013) only allowed secured cameras (e.g. a camera with a strap round your neck), although now allow phones too, which should be securely in a pocket for the actual walking part of the activity, and can come out for photos when stopped at pre-planned photo points (i.e. when stood still).

To add this in last minute is a bit cheeky, it's put me off booking them as half the reason I do them is to get some nice photos from the top. But the more strange thing is why it's not consistent across all Merlin parks offering these experiences. I don't think anyone is expecting to be able to use a selfie stick, and most people don't expect to be able to video the entire thing - just take a few photos.

It'd be a different issue entirely if these happened when the park was open - with guests wandering about under the lift where a dropped phone could cause serious injury - but they happen when the park is closed, and any staff in the area can be directed not to go underneath the lifts.

It's a little surprising given that Thorpe Park allows people to take photos at the top of the lift walks (with a phone that is secured). BPB originally (2013) only allowed secured cameras (e.g. a camera with a strap round your neck), although now allow phones too, which should be securely in a pocket for the actual walking part of the activity, and can come out for photos when stopped at pre-planned photo points (i.e. when stood still).

To add this in last minute is a bit cheeky, it's put me off booking them as half the reason I do them is to get some nice photos from the top. But the more strange thing is why it's not consistent across all Merlin parks offering these experiences. I don't think anyone is expecting to be able to use a selfie stick, and most people don't expect to be able to video the entire thing - just take a few photos.

It'd be a different issue entirely if these happened when the park was open - with guests wandering about under the lift where a dropped phone could cause serious injury - but they happen when the park is closed, and any staff in the area can be directed not to go underneath the lifts.
As I clarified in an earlier post, you can take photos on Wickerman at specific points with a lanyard secured phone. You can't take photos on Oblivion, staff will do it for you. I'd imagine it's pretty tricky to get fallen debris out of Oblivion's hole.

As I clarified in an earlier post, you can take photos on Wickerman at specific points with a lanyard secured phone. You can't take photos on Oblivion, staff will do it for you. I'd imagine it's pretty tricky to get fallen debris out of Oblivion's hole.
Ash in Katy's post all the other attractions require use of a lanyard or similar strap so the risk of debris should be minimised, also they could allow photos in specific spots only, like the other attractions do, so only at the lift hill top and not at the drop.

It is a crying shame that people cant just enjoy an experience anymore, im guessing that the majority of people who have booked these track walks would purely be to vlog it or add content to their social media pages. it seems everybody is a vlogger these days!
Back in the day before smartphones, people still owned cameras and film that needed developing.

I have no idea why this brings distain about vloggers when I'm sure they'd be uproar from the general public if Greece banned photos from the top of the Acropolis or France banned photos from the Eiffel Tower.

Sure, live in the moment, but £80 is a ridiculous amount of money and it is called a VIP Experience.

Giving everyone a lanyard and having designated points for people to take photos and videos would be fair. Then, staff can take recordings/photos with their equipment, which can be sent to guests after the experience.

I don't see the need for the whole experience to be recorded, which seems to be what some vloggers expected. Given you're in a small group, it would be very annoying to have someone doing a running commentary next to you.

I agree with others in living in the moment. Personally, I would probably want one picture at the top, and that would be fine.

I mean, you are walking along an evacuation platform designed for evacuations. They are steap and can be slippery.

Vlogging the journey poses a hazard. You are focused on talking into your camera you are not concentrating on the hazardous area you are in. Regardless of being handsfree or on a lanyard, you need to concentrate on walking the lift. One slip or trip can pose danger for not only yourself but others around you, especially on lifts such as Oblivion. Yeah you have a fall arrest but that shouldnt be relied on as the only measure to protect you. Are these vloggers stupid or what. I mean seriously? I can see why they have allowed videos at the top, you are not walking the lift then. But on the lift itself, that's a huge risk.

You then have the risk as others have mentioned, of dropping items.

Last edited:
I mean, you are walking along an evacuation platform designed for evacuations. They are steap and can be slippery.

Vlogging the journey poses a hazard. You are focused on talking into your camera you are not concentrating on the hazardous area you are in. Regardless of being handsfree or on a lanyard, yoi need to concentrate on walking the lift. One slip or trip can pose danger for not only yourself but others around you, especially on lifts such as Oblivion. Yeah you have a fall arrest but that shouldnt be relied on as the only measure. Are these vloggers stupid or what. I mean seriously? You then have the risk as others have mentioned, of dropping items.
They could just say, “oh! You’re at the top now, you can take photos now, and please be careful while doing so!”

Have them put you phones in a plastic case around your neck and I don’t see a real problem with that.

They appear to have updated the T&C’s confirming photos can be taken on a smartphone only, and looks as though its for both Oblivion & Wicker Man. According to posts on X, people who did the walks before this change of policy have reported that Towers have invited them back to do it again.

33b7a71482d8f9435d23b9415ad1e2b6.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

VIP shenanigans aside, I absolutely love how Alton towers have released not only their CD, but the nemesis area loop and curse at Alton manor area loop onto streaming. Seems they’ve picked up they have an audience for it.

I also hope Thorpe park might do something with their (albeit, outdated) CD and other soundtracks. The amount I would give to hear the 2021 fright nights soundtrack in a clean format, and not through some recording of a tinny speaker.

CoasterTog on YT has done a quick review of the Wicker Man lift climb experience;

From: https://youtube.com/shorts/Wxzo65w0aEQ?si=aTuv0uk7nRaeYPvF

He raises a good point in that unlike other parks nothing is offered after the experience of a memento of it, like a medal etc. He mentions about the camera situation bust the video was posted before the T&C's were updated. The coolest and most interesting thing though is you get to manually activate the flames from the op cabin.

CoasterTog on YT has done a quick review of the Wicker Man lift climb experience;

He raises a good point in that unlike other parks nothing is offered after the experience of a memento of it, like a medal etc. He mentions about the camera situation bust the video was posted before the T&C's were updated. The coolest and most interesting thing though is you get to manually activate the flames from the op cabin.

Christ, I'm out of breath just listening to that. I really hate these YT Shorts and Tik Toks. I know they're popular and no doubt are here to stay but they're always so rushed, edited with no pauses between sentences; many of them are just unwatchable and that's before you even think about the content!!

He paid £65 to climb a ride? Big whoop... What does he want, a medal? Oh, wait...