• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[2024] Nemesis Reborn: Construction and Speculation

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Star Wars fans are the worst! Anyhoo back to topic...

Jar Jar Binks to Star Wars fans is what The Phalanx is to some Towers fans. I didn’t mind Jar Jar.

Regardless of track colour, I’m excited to see what they do to theming wise inside of the station. That’s one part of the project I expect to change a lot.

Jar Jar Binks was considered by many people, not just Star Wars fans, as a shoddy racial stereotype.
Nothing like the phalanx thoosie debacle, which is simply a blind dead end off a cul de sac, in the rain, on a dark and windy winters evening.
Bring on the new season, and the real easter eggs!

Jar Jar Binks to Star Wars fans is what The Phalanx is to some Towers fans. I didn’t mind Jar Jar.

I'd say the Sequel trilogy is far more of a red rag to Star Wars fans than Jar Jar ever was.

Least that actor didn't get threats on the internet.

We aren't meant to say get a life anymore sadly, bit rude apparently.
But I agree with the sentiment.
Nice to see nemesis being done over, it means the retrack will probably see out my lifetime riding.
Will be riding Icon for a decade longer if I'm lucky, because, you know, designed for retirement.

Rude yes. But hey ho. It's become a very tedious place recently this forum.

It just occurred to me, but with the most likely chance of Forbidden Valley getting a retheme, could we see something happen to air/Galactica for 2024, to fit in with the new area?

Last edited:
Forbidden Valley is not being re-themed.
Sorry, I didn't mean in a new name, but it'll definitely not be the same for 2024, and surely Merlin would want this area to blend on with Nemesis 2.0. Im just saying this could be happening, and Galactica may get the same treatment.

Sorry, I didn't mean in a new name, but it'll definitely not be the same for 2024, and surely Merlin would want this area to blend on with Nemesis 2.0. Im just saying this could be happening, and Galactica may get the same treatment.

I don’t think anything outside the direct pit will see much themic change (maybe the drill), they didn’t care about aligning the themes when they built Air so I doubt they will now. Would be nice if I’m wrong though as other than the music I hate the Galactica theme.

By all means argue it was badly executed but the Phalanx is related to the theme of Nemesis, it is included in very early merch and military involvement is mentioned in early concept.
Pedantics over whether there was a military organisation mentioned in a comic that no sod ever read in 1994 or not, I think it's perfectly reasonable to associate the marketing theme of Call Of Duty; The Ride so far with that of NST more than that of OG Nemesis.
What I will never understand is why when the ride was launched in 1994, there was nothing involving the Phalanx throughout the marketing, but very soon after that a comic was produced relating to the ride which DID involve the Phalanx - and now the park want to possibly proceed with a ride theme change of something that didn’t exist from the beginning. Never mind the comics, the official marketing is what counts!
Someone inexplicably decided it would be a right laugh to change the lore of the Nemesis track itself from being tenticles to a "steel structure" that "pinned" it down as if it was a drunken bet with their mates that they could change a website description without anyone noticing. It happened, my personal view is that it was silly, but it did happen.
I’ve always understood it as the monster being pinned down - not the tentacles theory, up until recently. Can someone answer me this please… in the Nemesis story audio we hear the about how it was pinned down, nothing about tentacles. Has that story as an audio always been around since opening?

Never mind the comics, the official marketing is what counts!

A comic about the Nemesis monster, that was officially produced by the park is what I would call official marketing. Sure it was not there from the start, but it was produced by the park, not long after opening in order to promote the attraction. It is official marketing.

The comic might’ve been officially produced but it wasn’t there from the word go. An official add-in that was never there on the ribbon cutting.
I'm my mind, if it's not by John Wardley, then it's not official. He didn't ask for the comic, or Phalanx. All he conceived was a creepy monster in a pit surrounded by a toxic sci fi, apocalyptic junkyard.

Sure, there can and should be addons by new creatives over the years if they keep it close to the original source material. Though I guess it depends on how you perceive it as a whole. Some see it differently to others.

Last edited:
Can we move on from comic chat and talk about the history of the Nemesis storyline for the time being? We've had pages and pages of speculation and discussion on it over the past few months.

And before anyone replies that I'm "stifling discussion", the points being raised now are just the same ones repeated for the umpteenth time from previous pages. Let's just wait and see what ultimately comes out as the construction and marketing progresses. For now let's keep things as discussion about the progress of the ride's reconstruction.

Finally, when responding to posts, try and keep it to just recent ones. While you yourself might not have been on the forum for a few days, discussion can move on significantly in the interim, so quoting points from days ago just ruins the flow of the topic.

It just occurred to me, but with the most likely chance of Forbidden Valley getting a retheme, could we see something happen to air/Galactica for 2024, to fit in with the new area?

I'm my mind, if it's not by John Wardley, then it's not official. He didn't ask for the comic, or Phalanx. All he conceived was a creepy monster in a pit surrounded by a toxic sci fi, apocalyptic junkyard.
1. No. Not gonna happen, imagine the capex. No way. Do you want anything at all in the years after?

2. I forget about Wardley being the Messiah. ONLY WHAT WARDLEY APPROVES MUST HAPPEN. In his own words, GET.A.LIFE.

1. No. Not gonna happen, imagine the capex. No way. Do you want anything at all in the years after?

2. I forget about Wardley being the Messiah. ONLY WHAT WARDLEY APPROVES MUST HAPPEN. In his own words, GET.A.LIFE.

What makes you think it won't happen? I'd say it's more likely as a capex project than just a spruce up as a opex project.

The only thing I can see stopping it is the fact the ride doesn't need a retrack....

What makes you think it won't happen? I'd say it's more likely as a capex project than just a spruce up as a opex project.

The only thing I can see stopping it is the fact the ride doesn't need a retrack....

I think they have bigger priorities for refurbishment at the moment, plus a need to open more flats. As much is I hate Galactica’s theme even I agree their focus needs to be elsewhere in the short to medium term.

I think they have bigger priorities for refurbishment at the moment, plus a need to open more flats. As much is I hate Galactica’s theme even I agree their focus needs to be elsewhere in the short to medium term.
Couldn't agree more.

Far more priorities around the park, and I don't feel there is the love for the ride like there is Nemesis. In addition, you can easily flatten Air and start again, you couldn't with Nemesis

As much as I would love Air/Galactica to receive a retheme, it seems unlikely because Alton Towers will be more focused on the Nemesis retrack, and that it would be too much of an effort for too little reward if they rethemed Air/Galactica to something suitable.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.