• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[2024] Nemesis Reborn: Construction and Speculation

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Someone on a Merlin Pass fb group has won. Not gonna lie I am a bit jealous, turns out I can’t get into the park on my gold pass for Nemmy’s last day without paying a £20pp up charge as it’s an exlusion date/fireworks which I won’t be paying🤣

Next ride on Nemesis will be on the new track for me!

If anyone here gets there, do me a favour and ask JW what's going on with Duel, as I seems no one asked him that at the TowerTimes event this year. If he says it's secret, at least ask if anything is gonna remain from Duel/HH. I would do this myself but I am at a great disadvantage :/

Anyway, hope someone records his reaction when he's on Nemmy this year. Can't wait for the comparison videos of him riding it back in 94 and him riding it now XD

Someone on a Merlin Pass fb group has won. Not gonna lie I am a bit jealous, turns out I can’t get into the park on my gold pass for Nemmy’s last day without paying a £20pp up charge as it’s an exlusion date/fireworks which I won’t be paying🤣

Next ride on Nemesis will be on the new track for me!

Yes exclusion date was advertised when purchasing the pass

Went today for one last spin on the original ride. I must confess it was actually not running brilliantly in the fifth (maybe sixth) row. The kickers at the bottom of the lift were sounding even louder than normal.

Anyway, after a lap on Galactica and Fn'F, we returned to Nemesis at 15:00 or so for our final ride, hoping for front row and ... it was closed. Ladders up to said kickers, trains in the shed and scaffolding being erected. Didn't have the patience to see if it would reopen, appeared unlikely to do so.

So, for me at least, it went out with a bit of a whimper - but what a ride. I don't have a list or rankings, but it'd definitely be up there. So many great memories.

'Always outnumbered, never outgunned', as The Prodigy once said.

The kickers at the bottom of the lift were sounding even louder than normal.

[...] we returned to Nemesis at 15:00 or so for our final ride, hoping for front row and ... it was closed. Ladders up to said kickers, trains in the shed and scaffolding being erected.

I forgot about this until you mentioned it. On my visit back at the start of October these feeder wheels were making a lot more noise than usual.

If I recall these feeders at the base of the lift are always running. They don't ever stop in normal operation so I imagine they get a lot of wear throughout a season.

Curious to understand what they will keep or replace. If the brakes, lift and station are being retained, I guess the components on those sections could go either way, motors and the like are essentially consumables - very little will be original.

Curious to understand what they will keep or replace. If the brakes, lift and station are being retained, I guess the components on those sections could go either way, motors and the like are essentially consumables - very little will be original.
I guess it depends on the condition of those bits.

For example if they only put a new lift hill chain and motor this season, would they then replace it when the ride is refurbished? Or they could just totally swap everything over, but that could be wasting money of things don’t actually need replacing.

Using Hulk at IoA as a benchmark, they normally keep the "brake run to top of lift" track on a re-track as these parts of the track are generally not over stressed, even after many years of use. You only have to look at the track on many coasters and you can physically see movement on it / the support stanchions as heavy trains pass over them at speed. Over years this leads to both metal fatigue and stress on the concrete footers. On B&M coasters, these are the track sections / stanchions that start with a C-prefix. (C = freeroll / coastering section. L = lift. ST = brakes & station).

Yes, I would be shocked if electrical & control systems are not also upgraded during the closure on Nemesis (they were on Hulk), but essentially the unchanged steel was in extremely good condition. Let's face it, with their year-round opening, Universal would not have left the brakes, station & lift structures in situ on Hulk unless they were confident it had a good many years of useful use ahead of it.

Trigger's broom springs to mind!

Yes to an extent although some parts can become obsolete over time, making them more difficult to fix. It might make sense to replace some components with newer ones for that reason.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.