• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[2024] Thorpe Park: Hyperia - Mack Hypercoaster

Wow. How is this meant to run in the top wind speeds it lists as operational in?

I am here today with my best friend, we have 2 days here with a night in the cabins, and this is her first trip away from her 2 year old. I feel absolutely gutted especially for her who won't be able to come again for the forseeable.

Does anyone know what sort of compensation people in our boats have been getting? Fast tracks for Hyperia? They've just announced over tanniy we will be entitled to return for free, but I'm unsure if this counts for us as we've booked the 2 day package.

Wow. How is this meant to run in the top wind speeds it lists as operational in?

I am here today with my best friend, we have 2 days here with a night in the cabins, and this is her first trip away from her 2 year old. I feel absolutely gutted especially for her who won't be able to come again for the forseeable.

Does anyone know what sort of compensation people in our boats have been getting? Fast tracks for Hyperia? They've just announced over tanniy we will be entitled to return for free, but I'm unsure if this counts for us as we've booked the 2 day package.
You will have to either visit guest services, or email them, and they will most likely offer you some sort of comparable compensation. When Alton Towers, earlier this year, activated Visit Again for Free, they have passholders a Fastrack package for later on in the season.

We don't know the actual wind speed but the MetOffice has the wind speed in Staines as maximum of 11mph and gusts up to 19mph in the last few hours

1000017119.jpg

I've seen it myself when visiting Milky Way many years ago that one gust in the right direction is all it takes to cause a stall on an empty car.

Expect more from a Mack granted.

This is increasingly making me doubt the 47mph maximum wind speed limit listed on the website… although I guess direction is a factor too.

In terms of how they could solve the “almost stalling” issue; perhaps they could do what they did on Ride to Happiness after that stalled and put a few kicker wheels at the top of that element?

Or maybe they could just only test it with a certain amount of mass in the train? It doesn’t seem to have this problem when there are test dummies in the train; it only seems to almost stall through the outerbank when empty.

There must be a lot of regret starting to creep in with the higher ups at this point. Enthisiasts were screaming out for a B&M hyper before a Mack was on the table, said B&M would have fulfilled the brief and undoubtedly wouldn’t have Thorpe in this position of constant closures

I can imagine Merlin taking less if any risks when it comes to ride hardware going forward

I remember seeing Euro Mir stall with guests on. It was evacuated, train craned off, and up and running again within an hour.

Looking forward to this being closed for 3 months because Merlin.

This is increasingly making me doubt the 47mph maximum wind speed limit listed on the website… although I guess direction is a factor too.

In terms of how they could solve the “almost stalling” issue; perhaps they could do what they did on Ride to Happiness after that stalled and put a few kicker wheels at the top of that element?

Or maybe they could just only test it with a certain amount of mass in the train? It doesn’t seem to have this problem when there are test dummies in the train; it only seems to almost stall through the outerbank when empty.
I’m sure you theoretically could do, but I’m not sure how easy it would be to do. Without wanting to be accused on armchair engineering, it doesn’t look like that section of track is designed for regular close inspection. Although I haven’t seen it in person. Lots of track isn’t. But if you put motors and booster wheels up there, you’d probably need a maintenance platform and some way for the engineers to get up there without having to scale the track. I don’t know how high it is so I don’t know whether a cherry picker could reach, but that still would be far from idea for weekly maintenance. You then have the issue that if it’s E stopped, does that turn off the booster wheels causing more valleying.

I’m not saying it couldn’t be done and it might be cheaper than some of the alternatives, but it’d still be a big piece of work. I don’t know about Ride to Happiness, but most coasters that have had problems with valleying don’t seem to have had booster wheels added.

From: https://x.com/thorpepark/status/1803353284138180697?s=46

Amateur hour or what.

Really not a good look for Thorpe or Mack at all this. Of course new rides have issues but it clearly wasn’t ready to be opened, not because of any ‘safety’ concern that the media will probably latch onto, but because it seems incapable of running for any kind of consistent level of time without going down.

What is it with the "not ready to be opened" line coming in for a stall situation. Plenty of coasters have stalled once or multiple times in their live.

If running for a length of time without breaking was where things have opened too early Towers might as well have nothing open.

There must be a lot of regret starting to creep in with the higher ups at this point. Enthisiasts were screaming out for a B&M hyper before a Mack was on the table, said B&M would have fulfilled the brief and undoubtedly wouldn’t have Thorpe in this position of constant closures

I can imagine Merlin taking less if any risks when it comes to ride hardware going forward

Not like B&M have had their rides have long term issues or stalled. This could foreseeably happen with many ride manufacturers.

In terms of booster wheels, with RtH the track in question is flat for most part. With this inverting turn that makes it far more difficult to implement.